Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which laptop would you go with?

1. Senior Member

Which laptop would you go with?

Advertisements
    So I went to best buy and looked at laptops. The guy said going with an SSD is better compared to a hard drive. I'm not a computer savvy person, so I hadn't even heard of that til today. But I looked at the Lenovo 80R2, and HP 255 G5 notebook. Those have hard drives though. He showed me Dell's with SSD's. Which of those would you go with? Or if you'd go with an SSD, which would you go with?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Most SSD drives are faster than hard drives. They tend to be more reliable, and don't use as much power as a HDD. However, the cost of SSD drives are much more expensive than traditional hard drives.
    For most laptop's your equivant choice is a 1 terrabyte drive to a 120 or 240 gigabyte drive. If you plan on storing a lot of movies, music, photos, etc, or you play a lot of games, then 240 GB is probably not large enough. You would want a external drive for backup.

Windows 7 and Office can take up 70 GB or so, so you don't have a lot of space left.

Odds are though, for speed and power usage, most people will never notice a big difference between the two. Also, you can always upgrade the drives yourself.

More important things to think about:

Monitor size
    Weight
    Price

You don't need an internal CD/dvd drive. Waste of space, and almost obsolete. You can by an external one online for as little as $15.

I personally think HP can't build anything worthwhile other than printers.

Dells are not bad.

For the Lenovo, is it actually the 100s?

Is your budget about 2-300?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Most SSD drives are faster than hard drives. They tend to be more reliable, and don't use as much power as a HDD. However, the cost of SSD drives are much more expensive than traditional hard drives.
    For most laptop's your equivant choice is a 1 terrabyte drive to a 120 or 240 gigabyte drive. If you plan on storing a lot of movies, music, photos, etc, or you play a lot of games, then 240 GB is probably not large enough. You would want a external drive for backup.

Windows 7 and Office can take up 70 GB or so, so you don't have a lot of space left.

Odds are though, for speed and power usage, most people will never notice a big difference between the two. Also, you can always upgrade the drives yourself.

More important things to think about:

Monitor size
    Weight
    Price

You don't need an internal CD/dvd drive. Waste of space, and almost obsolete. You can by an external one online for as little as $15.

I personally think HP can't build anything worthwhile other than printers.

Dells are not bad.

For the Lenovo, is it actually the 100s?

Is your budget about 2-300?
    Yes the Lenovo is one of the 100's. Let me find a link to it. https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo...-gb-ssd/specs/
    I'd like to spend no more than $400. But I'd be willing to spend a little more for something I know will be really good. I only have pictures and documents on my current laptop. Itunes is where I keep all my music.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caljmw649 View Post
    Yes the Lenovo is one of the 100's. Let me find a link to it. https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo...-gb-ssd/specs/
    I'd like to spend no more than $400. But I'd be willing to spend a little more for something I know will be really good. I only have pictures and documents on my current laptop. Itunes is where I keep all my music.
    That one is not good at all.

Here are some minimum specs to look for:
    Ram: 4gb
    CPU: i3 or i5 5th or 6th generation is good.
    Hard drive: SSD - 120gb, but 200+ is better. / HD: 1TB, though going a little smaller is fine.
    USB: at least one USB-3 port.
    USB-C: Great, if you can find it.
    HDMI: good, not necessary.

Size: pick it up. Imagine carrying it around, WITH power supply.
    Monitor size: 11 inches is small. Very small. look for at least 13 inch

Is touch screen important?

Also, are you using this for work/school, etc?

Lenovo's are very good. Dells are also good. Sony is great, but you pay a premuim for the name. I have had great luck with Samsung.

Do you absolutely want windows, or would a chromebook work?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    That one is not good at all.

Here are some minimum specs to look for:
    Ram: 4gb
    CPU: i3 or i5 5th or 6th generation is good.
    Hard drive: SSD - 120gb, but 200+ is better. / HD: 1TB, though going a little smaller is fine.
    USB: at least one USB-3 port.
    USB-C: Great, if you can find it.
    HDMI: good, not necessary.

Size: pick it up. Imagine carrying it around, WITH power supply.
    Monitor size: 11 inches is small. Very small. look for at least 13 inch

Is touch screen important?

Also, are you using this for work/school, etc?

Lenovo's are very good. Dells are also good. Sony is great, but you pay a premuim for the name. I have had great luck with Samsung.

Do you absolutely want windows, or would a chromebook work?
    I'll be using it for school. I'm doing online school soon. My current laptop I only use to pay bills. I very rarely use it. But when I was using it to upload a document for school, I ended up just uploading it on my phone. My laptop was giving me way too many issues. The internet will freeze for a minute or two and than let me go about doing things for a few more minutes til it freezes again. Word will freeze as well, though not as often as the internet. So I know it's not the internet that's the problem. To me it doesn't matter if it has windows or if it's a chromebook. Whatever is best and won't give me issues each time I use it. I need something reliable, unlike my Toshiba
  6. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    I have a Lenovo Yoga 710 and absolutely love, love, love it. Touch screen, doubles as a tablet, super quick and also very lightweight and easy to travel with. It's a small-ish laptop (11 inch screen) but I use it for work, so when I'm not on the road I hook it up to an external monitor when I need more desktop space. If you want something to last (especially for school - think of all the things you'll store and save!), you may shell out a little more but IMO it's worth it for the quality!
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    I have a Lenovo Yoga 710 and absolutely love, love, love it. Touch screen, doubles as a tablet, super quick and also very lightweight and easy to travel with. It's a small-ish laptop (11 inch screen) but I use it for work, so when I'm not on the road I hook it up to an external monitor when I need more desktop space. If you want something to last (especially for school - think of all the things you'll store and save!), you may shell out a little more but IMO it's worth it for the quality!
    Any laptops you'd suggest? I know how to work a laptop and customize it and all that. But when it comes to the specs, I have no idea what anything means. I don't have a desktop so getting a small laptop and hooking it up to a desktop isn't an option.
  8. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by caljmw649 View Post
    Any laptops you'd suggest? I know how to work a laptop and customize it and all that. But when it comes to the specs, I have no idea what anything means. I don't have a desktop so getting a small laptop and hooking it up to a desktop isn't an option.
    You can hook it up to a TV and use that as a large monitor at home, if you get a small laptop. It doesn't have to be a full desktop computer. All you need is an HDMI cable.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I absolutely love my Samsung, but I think the new ones are outside of the price range. Now that they are in serious competition with Apple, they jacked up their prices.

I Eelizah
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    You can hook it up to a TV and use that as a large monitor at home, if you get a small laptop. It doesn't have to be a full desktop computer. All you need is an HDMI cable.
    That was my thought after I posted my reply. I wouldn't mind doing that.

I was searching laptops with SSD's and found this one. HP 15-ay013nr
    https://support.hp.com/vn-en/document/c05146441#AbT1
    If SSD is going to last longer, than that's what I'd like to go with. But I've also been contemplating going with the laptop my husband has. If it only gets me 5 years worth, than I would get my money's worth.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast