Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: JAG

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

JAG

Advertisements
    My SO (USMC) was the victim of a motorcycle theft earlier this week. He filed a police report immediately. The bike was found today, totaled on the side of the road after it was crashed and caught fire. Fortunately, she didn't go down without a fight; the thief got a good dose of road rash, and ended up in the hospital.

Has anyone got any tips on seeking assistance from JAG?

2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Assistance how? Was the bike taken while on base? Was the thief in the military?
    Or are you looking for assistance with the insurance part of it?
    or how to work with the prosecutor to prosecute the guy?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    This would be working with a prosecutor. The bike wasn't insured for theft (only crash), and it was stolen off base. No information on the thief yet.
  4. Senior Member
    If the bike was stolen off base, why would the JAG even be involved, especially if the thief turns out not to be military? I guess I'm not understanding your question, but I'm sorry you are dealing with this!
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Jag could give you some guidance, but they will tell you exactly what I am about to tell you.
    Call the county prosecutor's office. ask for the victim advocate unit. give them the report number that the officer gave you. if you have not gotten a number, just tell them your names. They will let you know what you need to do. they will also keep in touch about court dates, etc.
    Next, if found guilty, you can ask for restitution for the value of the bike. Not your purchase price, but the fair market value. You should get together what ever paperwork you have concerning that, for example the insurance paperwork to show how much it was insured for.

At the moment, that is basically it.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  6. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Jag could give you some guidance, but they will tell you exactly what I am about to tell you.
    Call the county prosecutor's office. ask for the victim advocate unit. give them the report number that the officer gave you. if you have not gotten a number, just tell them your names. They will let you know what you need to do. they will also keep in touch about court dates, etc.
    Next, if found guilty, you can ask for restitution for the value of the bike. Not your purchase price, but the fair market value. You should get together what ever paperwork you have concerning that, for example the insurance paperwork to show how much it was insured for.

At the moment, that is basically it.
    Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    If the bike was stolen off base, why would the JAG even be involved, especially if the thief turns out not to be military? I guess I'm not understanding your question, but I'm sorry you are dealing with this!
    They wouldn't be involved with the case, of course. I'm just curious whether there's any department that offers legal guidance to enlisted folk.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodypeople View Post
    They wouldn't be involved with the case, of course. I'm just curious whether there's any department that offers legal guidance to enlisted folk.
    JAG is definitely a great place to go for guidance. We knew our case wouldn't be able to go through JAG, but they still helped us figure out how strong our case was and what we could do about it.
  9. Senior Member
    I'm sorry that happened. What a jerk to steal and wreck someone's bike!