Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: JAG

  1. Old Newbie
    somebodypeople's Avatar
    somebodypeople is offline
    Old Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    21
    #1

    JAG

    Advertisements
    My SO (USMC) was the victim of a motorcycle theft earlier this week. He filed a police report immediately. The bike was found today, totaled on the side of the road after it was crashed and caught fire. Fortunately, she didn't go down without a fight; the thief got a good dose of road rash, and ended up in the hospital.

    Has anyone got any tips on seeking assistance from JAG?

  2. Senior Member
    Guynavywife's Avatar
    Guynavywife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    19,310
    Blog Entries
    2
    #2
    Assistance how? Was the bike taken while on base? Was the thief in the military?
    Or are you looking for assistance with the insurance part of it?
    or how to work with the prosecutor to prosecute the guy?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Old Newbie
    somebodypeople's Avatar
    somebodypeople is offline
    Old Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    21
    #3
    This would be working with a prosecutor. The bike wasn't insured for theft (only crash), and it was stolen off base. No information on the thief yet.
  4. Senior Member
    villanelle's Avatar
    villanelle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14,790
    #4
    If the bike was stolen off base, why would the JAG even be involved, especially if the thief turns out not to be military? I guess I'm not understanding your question, but I'm sorry you are dealing with this!
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Senior Member
    Guynavywife's Avatar
    Guynavywife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    19,310
    Blog Entries
    2
    #5
    Jag could give you some guidance, but they will tell you exactly what I am about to tell you.
    Call the county prosecutor's office. ask for the victim advocate unit. give them the report number that the officer gave you. if you have not gotten a number, just tell them your names. They will let you know what you need to do. they will also keep in touch about court dates, etc.
    Next, if found guilty, you can ask for restitution for the value of the bike. Not your purchase price, but the fair market value. You should get together what ever paperwork you have concerning that, for example the insurance paperwork to show how much it was insured for.

    At the moment, that is basically it.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  6. Old Newbie
    somebodypeople's Avatar
    somebodypeople is offline
    Old Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    21
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Jag could give you some guidance, but they will tell you exactly what I am about to tell you.
    Call the county prosecutor's office. ask for the victim advocate unit. give them the report number that the officer gave you. if you have not gotten a number, just tell them your names. They will let you know what you need to do. they will also keep in touch about court dates, etc.
    Next, if found guilty, you can ask for restitution for the value of the bike. Not your purchase price, but the fair market value. You should get together what ever paperwork you have concerning that, for example the insurance paperwork to show how much it was insured for.

    At the moment, that is basically it.
    Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.
  7. Old Newbie
    somebodypeople's Avatar
    somebodypeople is offline
    Old Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    21
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    If the bike was stolen off base, why would the JAG even be involved, especially if the thief turns out not to be military? I guess I'm not understanding your question, but I'm sorry you are dealing with this!
    They wouldn't be involved with the case, of course. I'm just curious whether there's any department that offers legal guidance to enlisted folk.
  8. Senior Member
    Sabrina22LE's Avatar
    Sabrina22LE is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,394
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodypeople View Post
    They wouldn't be involved with the case, of course. I'm just curious whether there's any department that offers legal guidance to enlisted folk.
    JAG is definitely a great place to go for guidance. We knew our case wouldn't be able to go through JAG, but they still helped us figure out how strong our case was and what we could do about it.
  9. Senior Member
    Medic2Doula's Avatar
    Medic2Doula is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,330
    #9
    I'm sorry that happened. What a jerk to steal and wreck someone's bike!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •