Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Any computer savvy people out there?

  1. Senior Member
    caljmw649's Avatar
    caljmw649 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Together in North Carolina!
    Posts
    1,582
    #1

    Any computer savvy people out there?

    Advertisements
    I have a Toshiba Satellite C655. It runs so incredibly slow. And I'm really getting sick of it. I'm starting school again soon, and it's online. When I was talking to the advisor on the phone and doing things online to get started, it took forever. All I had to do was upload one document and it look me an hour. AN HOUR. Which by that point I had gotten so fed up with my laptop that I ended up using my phone. Took me 5 minutes on my phone when it should have taken me the same amount of time on my laptop. I felt so bad for wasting that sweet ladies time.

    Anyone know anything I can do to help my laptop run faster? It doesn't have any viruses. I did a scan for viruses and it came up with nothing. I've also thought of just getting a new laptop. As much as I'd like not to shell out money for a new one, I may not have a choice. DH got an HP before he left for deployment, he was lucky enough to have his school send him one. That worked great. I'd actually use it when I needed to. But since he's not here, I don't have the option anymore. What laptop would you recommend? I would just need it for school, paying bills, regular internet surfing. Nothing major.
  2. Senior Member
    Heisenberg's Avatar
    Heisenberg is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    16,413
    #2
    Eh once it's slow and shitty like that I wouldn't even bother. I haven't used windows in years so I have no idea how to fix one, but when I was in high school my uncle used to come "fix" my desktop all the time and it never made much of a difference. You can find laptops now for pretty cheap, I'd probably just get a new one.
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Tojai's Avatar
    Tojai is offline
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    St. Pete FL
    Posts
    30,026


    #3
    I looked it up and it looks like this laptop is about 5 years old? If you've already scanned for viruses and cleaned it up (I use Malwarebytes and CCLeaner, they are both free and very good) then I agree it may just be the laptop. The only other thing I can think of is that laptops are difficult to clean and sometimes they overheat when they get dusty inside, you could try taking a can of compressed air to it and that may help some. However programs, websites, even the OS ... when they push updates they all kind of assume you're running a modern system and when you have an aged system it can take a long time for processing.

    If you're just using it for surfing the net and word processing you can get a decent cheap one. I have an ASUS that I use for exactly those things, had it for several years and it's held up well. It's survived many business trips and still runs at a decent speed.
  4. Senior Member
    Guynavywife's Avatar
    Guynavywife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    19,310
    Blog Entries
    2
    #4
    Junk it and get a new one. 5 years is more than the normal useful lifespan for a laptop, and when it was new, it was still a low end model. In 2012 it was listed at $400. Lets Its cost was less than $100 a year. less than $10 a month. A good investment. Now go get a new one.

    If you absolutely can't afford it, look up how to do a recovery on it, which will basically wipe the drive and reinstall windows and bring it back to factory new. Then spend a few hours catching up with 5 years of windows updates. You will see a small improvement.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. Senior Member
    caljmw649's Avatar
    caljmw649 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Together in North Carolina!
    Posts
    1,582
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Eh once it's slow and shitty like that I wouldn't even bother. I haven't used windows in years so I have no idea how to fix one, but when I was in high school my uncle used to come "fix" my desktop all the time and it never made much of a difference. You can find laptops now for pretty cheap, I'd probably just get a new one.
    My husband's uncle fixes his grandparents desktop practically everytime he's over their house and it never seems to make much of a difference. It used to run just fine but one major virus and a teenage brother in law have ruined it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I looked it up and it looks like this laptop is about 5 years old? If you've already scanned for viruses and cleaned it up (I use Malwarebytes and CCLeaner, they are both free and very good) then I agree it may just be the laptop. The only other thing I can think of is that laptops are difficult to clean and sometimes they overheat when they get dusty inside, you could try taking a can of compressed air to it and that may help some. However programs, websites, even the OS ... when they push updates they all kind of assume you're running a modern system and when you have an aged system it can take a long time for processing.

    If you're just using it for surfing the net and word processing you can get a decent cheap one. I have an ASUS that I use for exactly those things, had it for several years and it's held up well. It's survived many business trips and still runs at a decent speed.
    I'll try those programs. If they don't help than I'll look into a new one. I've heard ASUS is a good brand but over never had one. I'll have to play with the ones at the stores.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Junk it and get a new one. 5 years is more than the normal useful lifespan for a laptop, and when it was new, it was still a low end model. In 2012 it was listed at $400. Lets Its cost was less than $100 a year. less than $10 a month. A good investment. Now go get a new one.

    If you absolutely can't afford it, look up how to do a recovery on it, which will basically wipe the drive and reinstall windows and bring it back to factory new. Then spend a few hours catching up with 5 years of windows updates. You will see a small improvement.
    I could afford a new one...I just don't want to spend the money on a new one. But I need a laptop that won't give me issues each time I try to do school work, so I don't think I have much of a choice.
  6. Moderator
    TheSisterWife's Avatar
    TheSisterWife is offline
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    20,566

    #6
    I would absolutely buy a new one. Especially if you're using it for school. You might be able to improve it very slightly, but for something as important as school, I would save the headache and invest in something new.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •