Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Communication and withdrawal

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Communication and withdrawal

Advertisements
    I'm new to this forum and to dating a military veteran. He has retired now but was enlisted all of his life. I'm trying to adjust but I'm not sure if it is a personal thing or if he withdraws himself because of being in the military. Sometimes he won't talk or respond to my calls. He will read every text but won't answer them. I'm not sure if it is just being a jerk or if he suffers ptsd .
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    No way of knowing. Do you talk to anyone in his family? maybe they can give you an idea.
    How long have you been dating him?

And there is a third option. He just may be the type who does not communicate well.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Senior Member
    I mean, I would just assume he's a flake before I would assume he has PTSD. That's not to say he doesn't, he very well may have it. Either way I think it's up to you to decide if that sort of communication is something you're willing to deal with for the sake of the relationship.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  4. Senior Member
    At some point, it doesn't matter why he does what he does. It only matters that he does it. That's especially true if he's not actively getting help. If he hasn't been diagnosed with PTSD, what makes you think he has it? Is it just the fact that he withdraws sometimes and ignores you? It seems far more likely that's just because he's not a great boyfriend or he's just not that in to you, unfortunately. (I'm assuming you've calmly made it clear this is an issue for you and it hasn't changed.) And even if it is PTSD-related, the only real questions are --is he willing to get diagnosed and then commit to treatment? And if not, are you willing to live with this behavior for the rest of your life? If the answer to either of those is "no", I don't really see what future you can have with him.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Senior Member
    If he hasn't been diagnosed with PTSD, what makes you think these things are PTSD related? It could just be him. Not everyone who's a military veteran suffers from PTSD.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    It took me awhile to figure out how to get back to this thread. It was just an assumption that he might have PTSD... ultimately it's probably just his personality. I do need to decide if it's something I want to deal with..I agree with everyone about that. I think I look at the positive things and this one negative seems to be big in my eyes that the positive things about him is not substantial.