Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: How do you get through it? I miss him so much.

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

How do you get through it? I miss him so much.

Advertisements
    So, am really new to this blogging situation. I have been with my boyfriend for 5 years, 3 yof which he has been in the Royal Air Force. He is currently serving his first 3 month deployment. It's week 3 and I feel at breaking point.

He is my best friend and has been since I was 16. Without him I feel so lonely, talk time is limited and I am trying my best to keep myself occupied with overtime in work and seeing friends as much as possible but as soon as I am alone at bed time or even just driving to work I can't control the tears.

I would love some tips on how to deal with this? As I still have another long 9 weeks to go.
  2. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    It gets easier!

When my ex was deployed, I'd never gone through any sort of separation/LDR before and it was so terrifying. It took me about a month and a half to get into a rhythm, but once you do things will really start to feel like the new normal. I'd also recommend taking this time to do stuff YOU like/want to do! Over 8 months, I learned new professional skills by attending conferences over the weekends (when I felt the saddest), learned to cook new recipes, and got into grad school. Having this time to pursue my own goals was really helpful. I also had time to hang out with my friends and rebuild other friendships. Lean on your support system and reach out to friends!

I also rewarded myself every month with something small, and got a manicure. It helped me because I'd be like, "Damn, another month down already?!" plus it was fun to take myself out on a little date.

Also, because it sounds like you're in the UK (maybe). I'm from Croydon!
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RiRose View Post
    So, am really new to this blogging situation. I have been with my boyfriend for 5 years, 3 yof which he has been in the Royal Air Force. He is currently serving his first 3 month deployment. It's week 3 and I feel at breaking point.

He is my best friend and has been since I was 16. Without him I feel so lonely, talk time is limited and I am trying my best to keep myself occupied with overtime in work and seeing friends as much as possible but as soon as I am alone at bed time or even just driving to work I can't control the tears.

I would love some tips on how to deal with this? As I still have another long 9 weeks to go.
    Honestly you gotta just quit thinking about it like that. Stop thinking about how much longer you have to go and try to think about honestly how little time 9 weeks is. Think about other things you've done in 9 weeks. It's honestly not that long. Think about how exciting it will be when he comes home instead of how sad you're gonna be for 9 weeks. Put some more energy into yourself, do something you don't normally have time for when he's around.
  4. Regular Member
    How did you handle it when he went into training and couldn't communicate at all?

You are doing really great at keeping busy and seeing friends which can be a big struggle. Really, keeping up with that is the best you can do for yourself. Is there anything you have always wanted to try, but haven't? Learning/doing new things can be really rewarding. Try to keep your days interesting and fulfilling. Make sure to take care of yourself.