Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: New to dating someone in military

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

New to dating someone in military

Advertisements
    New to dating someone in the military.we've been dating now 3-4 months and falling for each other. My question is how do you all handle when they shut down from a horrendous day/event where they ask for alone time? Also how do you handle LDR? He's being relocated next month but it hasn't stopped us getting closer than ever. He will only be gone for a year as it's all he has left until retirement. I plan on lots of trips up north when he moves. My heart is already breaking and scared it may not work not on my end but his.
  2. Senior Member
    I am surprised they are moving him with only a year left. At least in the navy they don't like to move people for that time because its a waste of training and all.

But on the other hand I simply leave my spouse alone. When he comes home and I can see he has had a bad day I just back off. He goes and lays down and does what he needs to do. I do say to him I'll make a deal of locking the door so the kids can't get to him but when he comes out he needs to be a bit better at least when it comes to how he talks to us and all. Also a drink helps too.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I feel the same way about my db but he is going to Japan! Freaking Japan!
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetangel333 View Post
    New to dating someone in the military.we've been dating now 3-4 months and falling for each other. My question is how do you all handle when they shut down from a horrendous day/event where they ask for alone time? Also how do you handle LDR? He's being relocated next month but it hasn't stopped us getting closer than ever. He will only be gone for a year as it's all he has left until retirement. I plan on lots of trips up north when he moves. My heart is already breaking and scared it may not work not on my end but his.
    Are you asking because you've dealt with this or because you feel this will happen because your SO is in the military? You post reads as the latter.

But, allow them the time they ask for. Then if they're open for it communicate what happened if you're not already aware, and suggest counseling to deal with the issue that causes this shut down if they're not already in it.