Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overseas PCS

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Overseas PCS

Advertisements
    I need your advice, my husband has orders to Italy for late June & im due with our first baby July 12 & obviously I cannot go with him. We've been trying to get the orders pushed back 90 days or canceled but it looks like that's not gonna happen. We're in Ga now but we're from CA. We also have a 3 year old German Shepard that I will have to take care of by myself with a newborn with no help. Should I just go home to Ca after baby is born or stay in Ga? I know we won't be able to afford our bills in GA & in Italy, but flights home with a huge dog are expensive too.
  2. Senior Member
    Are his orders accompanied? Are you planning on moving to Italy to be with him at all?
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Yes we plan on moving with him, it was suppose to be august but our dog can't fly in the summer heat so it will be October most likely.
  4. Senior Member
    Based on the fact that staying in Georgia would be more expensive and you wouldn't have help with a newborn, I would recommend going home to California after the baby is born. Depending on where you're flying to/from you can get decently cheap flights and then you'll have family around to help you with the baby. The only thing is, you said that your dog can't fly in the summer heat but going home would still entail him flying in the summer heat, just not for the same length of time.
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Be careful, because the orders likely say they will pay for your travel from GA, not CA. That makes a big difference because you have to figure out how to get back to GA to fly out. If they put you on a military flight, those only go out of certain locations, and it will be based on your GA location, so again, you will have to get back to the east coast. Going back home may likely cost more financially than just staying in GA.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Be careful, because the orders likely say they will pay for your travel from GA, not CA. That makes a big difference because you have to figure out how to get back to GA to fly out. If they put you on a military flight, those only go out of certain locations, and it will be based on your GA location, so again, you will have to get back to the east coast. Going back home may likely cost more financially than just staying in GA.
    Didn't think about that, good point.
  7. Senior Member
    Instead of going later, see if he can get the orders pushed earlier, while you are still able to travel. the time is tight, but he might be able to make it work. Or he could even try taking leave but traveling during that leave, in order to get on an earlier flight. This might also help with your dog, if you can make it happen quickly.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Flying to CA is definitely going to be more expensive in the long run. You'd have to fly back to meet the movers to pack your stuff, right? Do you have friends that could help you with baby or your dog? I'd definitely either stay in GA or try to travel earlier.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EverlastingLove View Post
    Flying to CA is definitely going to be more expensive in the long run. You'd have to fly back to meet the movers to pack your stuff, right? Do you have friends that could help you with baby or your dog? I'd definitely either stay in GA or try to travel earlier.
    She could probably do the pack out before she leaves, but they she'd be stuck with only what she can fit in her suitcases for the time she stays in the States. But he has orders, so packing out should be possible.

But I agree that early travel makes more sense, and from what I've seen, the military has been much more likely to approve moving earlier than delaying. (Dependent on many factors, or course, including the deployment or other work schedule at both commands, and no doubt many other things.)
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Senior Member
    I have heard they won't move the spouse w/in so many weeks of birth before and after. He might go ahead of you but you could stay behind. Honestly most of that all depends also on the incoming command. I had my daughter in Oct we were supposed to PCS in Oct. And they granted us to PCS after christmas.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast