Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Information on Personal Transfers

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Big Grin Seeking Information on Personal Transfers

Advertisements
    What is the difference between a personal transfer and a general transfer? If you know anything about these I want to know more about a personal transfer and whether or not you have to spend your own personal funds and have them reimbursed? Does a personal transfer mean/ensure that he would get posted in a place of his choice either within the US or a US base of his choosing? Any information is greatly appreciated. I am a newbie.
  2. Senior Member
    I've never heard the language personal transfer or general transfer before and a quick Google search is not very helpful. Is he reenlisting and looking to choose his next duty station? I know DB was offered that as an incentive to get him to reenlist. If that's what you're talking about, then yes the Army would cover his PCS expenses to move him from his current duty station to his new one. As far as it being ensured, literally nothing in the military is guaranteed.

If that's not what you're talking about, the only other things I can think of would be transferring National Guard or Reserve units or transferring from one branch of the military to another. Can you be more specific?
  3. Senior Member
    Never heard of that....a little more detail would help figure out what you mean.
  4. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    He heard about a personal transfer from his recruiter when he was posted. He was originally posted in Japan and is now posted in Cameroon. He says he gets to come home for 3 months in August and this happens yearly.

This is what he told me:
    "Heard about a personal transfer form which is available now and would be on for 2 weeks. This personal transfer is quite different from the military general transfer, with this transfer, only a few officers applies and are approved. I get the chance to pick 2 states in the US or a desired location of my choice outside the states where we have a base, then I get an approval for one but this has to be my personal funding as I have to cover all expenses from the form to the transfer fee. The general transfer is a general one for every body and you don't even need to apply as it is done randomly part of what brought me to Cameroon since I was randomly transferred here from Japan. The general one is taken care of by the government but the personal has to be individual expenses. or as incentives. deadline. I will have to continue my duties at what ever base and location I choose without been deployed any further."

Does this help?
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Malindra View Post
    He heard about a personal transfer from his recruiter when he was posted. He was originally posted in Japan and is now posted in Cameroon. He says he gets to come home for 3 months in August and this happens yearly.

This is what he told me:
    "Heard about a personal transfer form which is available now and would be on for 2 weeks. This personal transfer is quite different from the military general transfer, with this transfer, only a few officers applies and are approved. I get the chance to pick 2 states in the US or a desired location of my choice outside the states where we have a base, then I get an approval for one but this has to be my personal funding as I have to cover all expenses from the form to the transfer fee. The general transfer is a general one for every body and you don't even need to apply as it is done randomly part of what brought me to Cameroon since I was randomly transferred here from Japan. The general one is taken care of by the government but the personal has to be individual expenses. or as incentives. deadline. I will have to continue my duties at what ever base and location I choose without been deployed any further."

Does this help?
    I've never heard of a service member changing duty stations at personal expense. Nor have I heard this "transfer" language before.
  6. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Ok thanks, so sounding a bit fishy then? What can I ask him to dig further?
  7. Senior Member
    Mostly just what we've mentioned in the other thread. You can ask him if it's part of a reenlistment contract, if he's PCSing, etc. Especially if he is legit because I've never heard of what he's talking about before.
  8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    What is a PCS? Yeah for sure.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Malindra View Post
    What is a PCS? Yeah for sure.
    Permanent change of station. It's when they move from one base to another and that becomes where they live - not like a temporary thing for a few months or a deployment.
  10. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Ah I see. Thank you!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast