Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New military girlfriend

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

New military girlfriend

Advertisements
    Hi all, a few weeks ago, I started talking to a US soldier deployed to Iraq and fighting in Mosul. Everything was going really well and he was being a complete gentleman. I had no reason to think maybe he wasn't who he said he was. He says he is on a very specific mission but he can't tell me what it is because it's classified. However, I'm following the news and his story seems to make sense. We started talking on a dating site, then moved to email and now hangouts. He did tell me what he does (disarm explosives). He can't tell me where his base is because he says his mission is classified and it could put everyone in danger if he told me. He seems to be deployed there only to help recapture Mosul. He sent me several pictures of himself both in and out of uniform and all the pictures match. It is the same person in the pictures and I can see his last name on the uniform. Some of the pictures also have other people in it. I don't hear from him whenever there's fighting in the city (especially over the last couple of days). He says he's not supposed to communicate with anyone outside the base because they could be hacked, however he was texting me on hangouts in front of his commander earlier. When I asked him what his commander thought of him texting me, he said he understands. He says there are CCTV cams everywhere (I'm assuming for security). He also says he doesn't have access to his funds right now (I don't think he has his bank card with him). My main concern is that he said they are not fed well and he might get one meal a day. He's very hungry and goes to bed hungry often. The last couple of days, he has been increasingly irritated (which I would be too if I was hungry) and I offered to send him some money to buy some provisions. He says he can go to KirKuk (sp?) to get some stuff. When I asked him how I could send the money, he said he talked to his commander who told him to send the money to some lady in the states who can forward the money to him. She's a welfare and logistics personnel. But he can't tell me how the money will get to him or whether this is a Quick Collect or direct transfer. I am not sending money to some chick I don't know unless I can get a guarantee that the money will get to him. We expect that he will be back stateside within the next month or two, depending on the mission so sending a care package would be useless because by the time it gets there, he'll be ready to come back. He did not ask me for money, I offered. But once I offered, he became quite pushy and was disappointed when I couldn't send it because I didn't have all the information necessary.

I'm wondering if this is something I should be concerned about. He wouldn't tell me how much I should send until I told him what I was thinking of ($40-$50). Then he said it's expensive down there and he can't do anything with that, and asked if I could send $100. To me, if he was a scammer, he would ask for more than $100 and he would be the one asking, not me offering. But I heard so many stories, I don't want to get too attached to somebody who is not for real.

Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Do not send money to someone you met online and haven't met in person! It's great that all his pictures match, but he could have taken them from anywhere. Have you Skyped? Scammers are smart. They know they'll easily be caught if they request too much money plus they do it to multiple people at once.

Military in another country that have a classified job in a classified location and need money screams scam. If he was actually military he wouldn't need money for food; enough would be provided via chow hall or MRE
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    No we haven't Skyped yet. I'm keeping my eyes open. I'm not sending money. We will see if he is for real when he's supposed to come back.
  4. Regular Member
    DO NOT SEND HIM MONEY.

I'm sure he will give you some sort of BS story saying you can wire transfer it via Western Union or MoneyGram.

I used to work at a grocery store who offered Western Union and they will ask questions if you're sending it to a country like that especially if its over a certain amount and the Western Union agents are trained to ask you questions about how you know this person, if you've met them in person, etc. I came across a few people who sounded like they were getting scammed and I denied sending the transaction.

It sounds very fishy, and he probably didn't ask for money because he knew exactly what to say to get you to offer him money that way he didn't sound like a scam artist. Especially since he got pushy when you said you weren't going to send it to a random person. Scam artists like that are actual working on a bigger scale scam operation with tons of people in different locations to move money around in small increments so it doesn't raise any red flags in the Western Union system. Please please don't send this person money whether it's $40 or $400. Don't send anything.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    When I asked for additional information for a Quick Collect transfer he said he didn't have any more information. He said he didn't know how those things work and he went to bed. I'm not sending money. I've been taken before by scammers and I'm not doing it again. If he's for real, I guess he'll have to suffer for a bit longer.
  6. The name says it all!
    The name says it all!

This screams scam to me! Red flags everywhere! I am sorry, but better no guy than the wrong man.

DH: Thank you. ME: For what, babe? DH: For being you.

7. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Ameriste View Post
    Hi all, a few weeks ago, I started talking to a US soldier deployed to Iraq and fighting in Mosul. Everything was going really well and he was being a complete gentleman. I had no reason to think maybe he wasn't who he said he was. He says he is on a very specific mission but he can't tell me what it is because it's classified. However, I'm following the news and his story seems to make sense. We started talking on a dating site, then moved to email and now hangouts. He did tell me what he does (disarm explosives). He can't tell me where his base is because he says his mission is classified and it could put everyone in danger if he told me. He seems to be deployed there only to help recapture Mosul. He sent me several pictures of himself both in and out of uniform and all the pictures match. It is the same person in the pictures and I can see his last name on the uniform. Some of the pictures also have other people in it. I don't hear from him whenever there's fighting in the city (especially over the last couple of days). He says he's not supposed to communicate with anyone outside the base because they could be hacked, however he was texting me on hangouts in front of his commander earlier. When I asked him what his commander thought of him texting me, he said he understands. He says there are CCTV cams everywhere (I'm assuming for security). He also says he doesn't have access to his funds right now (I don't think he has his bank card with him). My main concern is that he said they are not fed well and he might get one meal a day. He's very hungry and goes to bed hungry often. The last couple of days, he has been increasingly irritated (which I would be too if I was hungry) and I offered to send him some money to buy some provisions. He says he can go to KirKuk (sp?) to get some stuff. When I asked him how I could send the money, he said he talked to his commander who told him to send the money to some lady in the states who can forward the money to him. She's a welfare and logistics personnel. But he can't tell me how the money will get to him or whether this is a Quick Collect or direct transfer. I am not sending money to some chick I don't know unless I can get a guarantee that the money will get to him. We expect that he will be back stateside within the next month or two, depending on the mission so sending a care package would be useless because by the time it gets there, he'll be ready to come back. He did not ask me for money, I offered. But once I offered, he became quite pushy and was disappointed when I couldn't send it because I didn't have all the information necessary.

I'm wondering if this is something I should be concerned about. He wouldn't tell me how much I should send until I told him what I was thinking of ($40-$50). Then he said it's expensive down there and he can't do anything with that, and asked if I could send $100. To me, if he was a scammer, he would ask for more than $100 and he would be the one asking, not me offering. But I heard so many stories, I don't want to get too attached to somebody who is not for real.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    No we haven't Skyped yet. I'm keeping my eyes open. I'm not sending money. We will see if he is for real when he's supposed to come back.
    When I asked for additional information for a Quick Collect transfer he said he didn't have any more information. He said he didn't know how those things work and he went to bed. I'm not sending money. I've been taken before by scammers and I'm not doing it again. If he's for real, I guess he'll have to suffer for a bit longer.
    scam scam scam. Run, don't walk, away!

Seriously, so many red flags here and signs that point to this person being a scammer. You don't know who this person is, even if it appears their photos match up. If you haven't Skyped, you can't confirm who he is. If he's really military, ask him for his e-mail ending in .mil. Ask him for more proof of who he is (more pictures, a specific picture like him holding up a note/sign with your name or a message on it, etc.). He's not asking you for a lot of money because like PP said, this person is probably doing the same thing to multiple people. I mean really, he can't tell you how the money will get to him? It has to go through a fake third person? Nah. I'd drop him like, yesterday.

Sorry!
  8. Senior Member
    "I can't give location or talk to anyone outside the base.... but Imma use Google hangouts."

Nope!!!
    Anyone can take pictures, he might have taken them from someone else's Facebook or dating profile, and yea, they would match if he copy and pasted more than one from the same site.

You are smart to say you aren't sending him money. My dh is navy, but I've never heard of a service member going hungry? Anyone feel free to step in and tell me they have.

I bet there is a way to track his location from google. I would bet my left ovary that he is not where he says he round about is.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Figgychick View Post
    DO NOT SEND HIM MONEY.

I'm sure he will give you some sort of BS story saying you can wire transfer it via Western Union or MoneyGram.

I used to work at a grocery store who offered Western Union and they will ask questions if you're sending it to a country like that especially if its over a certain amount and the Western Union agents are trained to ask you questions about how you know this person, if you've met them in person, etc. I came across a few people who sounded like they were getting scammed and I denied sending the transaction.

It sounds very fishy, and he probably didn't ask for money because he knew exactly what to say to get you to offer him money that way he didn't sound like a scam artist. Especially since he got pushy when you said you weren't going to send it to a random person. Scam artists like that are actual working on a bigger scale scam operation with tons of people in different locations to move money around in small increments so it doesn't raise any red flags in the Western Union system. Please please don't send this person money whether it's $40 or $400. Don't send anything.
    Awww this makes me happy that there are people looking out for those getting scammed.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    "I can't give location or talk to anyone outside the base.... but Imma use Google hangouts."

Nope!!!
    Anyone can take pictures, he might have taken them from someone else's Facebook or dating profile, and yea, they would match if he copy and pasted more than one from the same site.

You are smart to say you aren't sending him money. My dh is navy, but I've never heard of a service member going hungry? Anyone feel free to step in and tell me they have.

I bet there is a way to track his location from google. I would bet my left ovary that he is not where he says he round about is.
    Idk if you follow US Army WTF moments on Facebook but DB does and a few months back there was an ongoing story about soldiers at NTC going hungry - I think it said they weren't given an MRE for a day or two. No clue how true it was. DB recently told me that if there are shortages they can legally give E1-E4 a piece of bread daily and nothing more. I highly doubt that has happened any time recently but apparently it could technically happen.

Don't think that's what's happening here though. I agree - scam.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast