Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Cold Sore Remedies?

  1. Regular Member
    Figgychick's Avatar
    Figgychick is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Ft. Bragg
    Posts
    217
    #1

    Cold Sore Remedies?

    Advertisements
    The other day I went to the dentist for a root canal
    And they caused havoc to my lip at the corner of my mouth (totally tore me up)
    Today I woke up to a lovely swollen lip and cold sore

    I've never had one before and I know about cold compress to help it, but does anyone have any other home remedies or old wives tale remedies that actually work for them?
  2. we were all rooting for you
    KittenMittens's Avatar
    KittenMittens is offline
    we were all rooting for you
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    6,675
    #2
    Not an old wives tale... go buy Compeed cold sore patches! They are amazing!
  3. Regular Member
    Figgychick's Avatar
    Figgychick is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Ft. Bragg
    Posts
    217
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    Not an old wives tale... go buy Compeed cold sore patches! They are amazing!
    Thank you! Definitely taking your advice because this is awful...I've made it 21 years of life without ever getting a cold sore...and I must say they are quite gross and so not appealing
  4. we were all rooting for you
    KittenMittens's Avatar
    KittenMittens is offline
    we were all rooting for you
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    6,675
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Figgychick View Post
    Thank you! Definitely taking your advice because this is awful...I've made it 21 years of life without ever getting a cold sore...and I must say they are quite gross and so not appealing
    lol, I haven't had one in years but I know how much it sucks! That's why I like the Compeed patches, because they work + you can put on a little makeup with a q-tip right on top and disguise it a bit.
  5. Senior Member
    missinghim's Avatar
    missinghim is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,316
    #5
    Because they're viral not much helps, but I swear by Abreva! I do think it shortens the overall length of time. Ugh I hate cold sores.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

    Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  6. Regular Member
    Figgychick's Avatar
    Figgychick is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Ft. Bragg
    Posts
    217
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    Because they're viral not much helps, but I swear by Abreva! I do think it shortens the overall length of time. Ugh I hate cold sores.
    I figured there wasn't much I could do about it. I asked DH, he's a medic plus has had cold sores on and off his whole life, and he said the same thing :/

    Thank you for your suggestion though! I'll do whatever I can to shorten the length of this damn thing considering they can last for up to a couple of weeks (according to Google)
  7. Team Rocket
    rocket_lizz's Avatar
    rocket_lizz is offline
    Team Rocket
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Diego!!!
    Posts
    9,069
    #7
    No advice but a few months ago one of my coworkers was holding an ice cube to her lip and I asked her what she was doing. She said she was fixing a cold sore. I asked "Really? With ice?!" and she looked at me like I was the dumbest person in the whole world and said "well yeah....why do you think it's called a cold sore?"

    I hope it heals!! Are you 100% sure it's a cold sore though? could just be seriously irritated from the dentist.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  8. Regular Member
    Figgychick's Avatar
    Figgychick is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Ft. Bragg
    Posts
    217
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    No advice but a few months ago one of my coworkers was holding an ice cube to her lip and I asked her what she was doing. She said she was fixing a cold sore. I asked "Really? With ice?!" and she looked at me like I was the dumbest person in the whole world and said "well yeah....why do you think it's called a cold sore?"

    I hope it heals!! Are you 100% sure it's a cold sore though? could just be seriously irritated from the dentist.
    I've been holding an ice cube to my lip all day and I heard tea tree oil helps? Not sure if that's true but I've been using it to see if it'll work. I refuse to leave the house because of how big it is and how nasty it looks along with the cut at the corner of my lip from the dentist so I'm having DH bring me abreva when he gets off work. But yes...I know its a cold sore...DH is a medic and he's had them on and off throughout his life and he said it is...I'm pretty sure I was getting it last night cuz I got my dental work done 4ish days ago and my mouth was just cut but didn't really hurt or bother me but last night it was super itchy I just didn't think anything of it.

    I'm hoping it doesn't take too long to go away though, I heard the first time you get them, they can last a little bit longer than if you've had them before.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Carolina's Avatar
    Carolina is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,641


    #9
    Considering it's an actual cold sore you didn't get it from the dentist; just bad timing. You can generally feel them coming on because the area gets pretty painful, especially the first one. The first one is always the worst, but as time goes on you should get them less frequently and they shouldn't be as bad. To be honest I would just do an ice compress to see how your body reacts to the virus; I know they're ugly but without knowing how your body takes it I would be hesitant to put a bunch of stuff on it, especially directly covering it with makeup.
  10. Regular Member
    Figgychick's Avatar
    Figgychick is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Ft. Bragg
    Posts
    217
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by EverlastingLove View Post
    Considering it's an actual cold sore you didn't get it from the dentist; just bad timing. You can generally feel them coming on because the area gets pretty painful, especially the first one. The first one is always the worst, but as time goes on you should get them less frequently and they shouldn't be as bad. To be honest I would just do an ice compress to see how your body reacts to the virus; I know they're ugly but without knowing how your body takes it I would be hesitant to put a bunch of stuff on it, especially directly covering it with makeup.
    Like I told PP, it was pretty painful last night and itchy but I just figured that was the cut at the corner of my mouth, and the skin was pretty jacked up in the area so I noticed a little bump but I didn't think anything of it again, then BAM wake up this morning with this nasty thing. I'm not going to makeup on it and possible worsen it or cause it to last longer. I did't even think of letting it play out with how my body will react to the virus though. And I sure don't want to overload it with oils and creams and cause it to get worse. UGH!
    Stupid cold sores. Thanks for the input though!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •