Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anxiety remedies help!

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Anxiety remedies help!

Advertisements
    Hello ladies! So I'm going to be straight forward to what I'm about to say. I'm on the depo shot. This is my third time being on the shot and the anxiety is at it's apex. Last night I accidentally got into it with my boyfriend about not making time to talk to me or see me and it was mainly because of the hormones that caused that. Normally I would be very understanding towards his duties and what he's allowed to do and not to do, but the shot made me loose control of my patience.

I'm really suffering through anxiety right now because of the shot and I was wondering if anyone would recommend a certain medication that will help calm me down. The last thing I need is to ruin my relationship because of something that's hard to control. I would appreciate the help!
    Last edited by HeatherA; 05-15-2017 at 09:54 AM.
  2. Regular Member
    This isn't a remedy for anxiety, but have you talked to your Dr. about maybe changing the type of birth control you're on? Maybe going to a birth control with a lower dose of hormones?
    Some women do well on BC, some don't do so well, and some do better on one type of BC like IUD or the pill, as opposed to the shot or patch (just examples)
    I'd say that maybe it's worth a trip to the doctor to let him/her know what's going on and how the shot is affecting you this time around.
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Are you seeing a professional to help you control your anxiety? It is something I've struggled with for years but I am getting to a better place with it. However, I don't really take medication for it. I was on Zoloft for depression and anxiety but I don't take it anymore. Cognitive behavioral therapy was much more useful to me in controlling my anxiety. I know everyone is different and different things work for different people but that was my experience.
  4. Senior Member
    I don't think random strangers online should be advising you on anxiety medication. Go talk to your doctor. I'd get off depo tbh, I was on it for about a year and it made me a psycho.
  5. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    I plan on getting off the shot soon. I never had much trouble with it up until now. I also plan on talking to my doctor, but I won't be able to until this weekend. I was just wondering about others opinions and what other people do as far as solutions goes. I honestly don't think I can take this anymore.
  6. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I don't think random strangers online should be advising you on anxiety medication. Go talk to your doctor. I'd get off depo tbh, I was on it for about a year and it made me a psycho.
    agree agree agree.

I've been on pills that made me lose it and cry at everything, and it worsened my anxiety and depression. I know how badly it sucks but also how much better you feel about a week after you're off it! Get off depo and definitely figure out something better with your doctor!
  7. Senior Member
    Pills and the depo shot are notorious for worsening anxiety. I would talk to your doctor about other options. Have you told your doctor about your anxiety? I didn't want to be constantly medicated so my doctor prescribed me pills just for my panic attacks.

Cognitive behavioral therapy is really the best solution but it takes time. Start keeping a list of all of your anxious episodes. Make it as detailed as possible: where you were, how you felt, why you felt that way, what you did to calm down, etc. You might start to see a trend and begin to identify what triggers your anxiety, you might be able to detect the early warnings of a panic attack, and you might learn what the best ways to handle it are for you. When you combine these things you get a good handle on the anxiety. I can tell when I'm starting to get anxious and know the things to do to help me stay calm, so I can avoid the attacks.

Find things that make you feel relaxed. I do things like painting, yoga, dancing, meditation, cooking, hiking, or sometimes just breathing exercises, but you can do anything you enjoy, like watching tv or reading a book.
  8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Thank you! That's actually really great advice! The only problem is that relaxing is hard to deal with once the anxiety is constantly doing episodes. I'll do my best though!
  9. Senior Member
    I was off birth control for a while and felt great, finallly went back on the pill this winter, and really didn't feel like myself (went cray). My doctor said that if the effects were that intense, that quickly, chances are it will be the same with other hormonal birth control. Switched to copper IUD and have been quite happy with it.

Definitely trust your gut and go see your doctor, we can only give you anecdotal advice/stories, that is most definitely NOT drug recommendations. I also started seeing a psychologist and that has helped a ton.
  10. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Getting on the depo shot is definitely a good idea. I got off the pill because it caused depression. My advice to you would be to try and think before you react (which I know is hard). Think is this rational for me to be upset and would I react this way if it wasn't for the anxiety. If you do get into it again apologize and explain that the depo has caused anxiety, he should understand. I don't have anxiety but when I am feeling overwhelmed I breath in through my nose and out through my mouth. If you just focus on your breathing and try to block out other thoughts it can help relax you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast