Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Best cell reception at JRTC?

1. Senior Member

Best cell reception at JRTC?

Advertisements
    DB is going to JRTC in 3 weeks and currently has Verizon which we hear is awful at Polk and was bad when he was there last year. What provider gets the best coverage at Polk/JRTC? Preferably from someone who has been or had their SO go in the past few months. We are thinking of getting one of those cheap pre-paid plans that run off of a bigger networks towers, so if anyone has recommendations for that (think Straifgt Talk) that would be great! Thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    I lived there! AT&T works fine. We had to switch from Verizon because it's true, there is basically zero service. But if he uses whatever AT&T has, he shouldn't have any significant problems. I can't speak for if he's like out in the woods or something but it works everywhere else on base.

Also send my condolences to him because Louisiana is literal hell on earth in the summer. I have no clue what kind of regs there are but if he's allowed to have one of those cooling towels you sling over your neck or whatever he should really get one. It's SO hot and SO humid I basically couldn't breathe there.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I lived there! AT&T works fine. We had to switch from Verizon because it's true, there is basically zero service. But if he uses whatever AT&T has, he shouldn't have any significant problems. I can't speak for if he's like out in the woods or something but it works everywhere else on base.

Also send my condolences to him because Louisiana is literal hell on earth in the summer. I have no clue what kind of regs there are but if he's allowed to have one of those cooling towels you sling over your neck or whatever he should really get one. It's SO hot and SO humid I basically couldn't breathe there.
    Thanks! I will pass your condolences along. I'm sure it'll only be 10x worse since they're coming from Alaska too.
  4. Senior Member
    My husband had basically no service with AT&T out there. We just planned for no communication while he was there and if he got through it was a bonus. Super fun the second time since I was almost due with our daughter.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maegan View Post
    My husband had basically no service with AT&T out there. We just planned for no communication while he was there and if he got through it was a bonus. Super fun the second time since I was almost due with our daughter.
    That's shitty. I'd still recommend AT&T over anything else though, it's more likely that nothing else works at all. At least he can maybe get to a serviceable area during his free time, with Verizon that's basically impossible but I don't remember having any significant issues on AT&T. I don't doubt there are dead zones where they'll be training but it worked on the roads, it worked on the trail, it worked at my house, at the hospital, at the commissary, at the bowling alley, etc etc
  6. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I have no idea about the area but he could try Google Fi - it uses the Sprint, T-mobile and US Cellular networks all at once, might be worth checking the coverage maps.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  7. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    I have no idea about the area but he could try Google Fi - it uses the Sprint, T-mobile and US Cellular networks all at once, might be worth checking the coverage maps.
    I don't know about US Cellular but Sprint and T-Mobile in that area are going to be no-go's...something happened down here with T-Mobile a couple years ago and you can't get service ANYWHERE! (I'm in Houston but we've driven to the area he's going a couple times before we switched to AT&T). I've never had luck with Sprint in South Texas or Louisiana. We don't have issues with AT&T for the most part though.
    Last edited by April Lynne; 05-11-2017 at 09:15 AM.

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    That's shitty. I'd still recommend AT&T over anything else though, it's more likely that nothing else works at all. At least he can maybe get to a serviceable area during his free time, with Verizon that's basically impossible but I don't remember having any significant issues on AT&T. I don't doubt there are dead zones where they'll be training but it worked on the roads, it worked on the trail, it worked at my house, at the hospital, at the commissary, at the bowling alley, etc etc
    Rumor has it they block cell service at the range