Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Sponsor Doesn't Know What He's Doing....

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

My Sponsor Doesn't Know What He's Doing....

Advertisements
    I love my Navy husband, but he's extremely shy and tends to just take what people tell him instead of asking questions. And he still has an attitude of 'I totally got this!' which...can create some misunderstandings lol. One recent example: he said that, even though we're married and the marriage is on file in the proper places, he told me that I don't qualify for any benefits whatsoever, including insurance.....what?

He's in Nuke School in SC and I'm in OH, waiting to move down south. He says I can't get my ID card until I get down there, and it's really difficult not knowing what resources I have to help him. He's already so busy with school that he can't look for apartments on his own and asked me to help narrow it down. So instead of constantly bugging him about this stuff I figure I'd post here again now that we're actually married.

- As a Navy husband, what resources are available to me? Are there numbers I could call for information, online packets of stuff I need to know? I know about the rule of not counting down til he comes back from deployment and such, I just forget the acronyms >-<
    - How do I find out who our Ombudsman is? Does he even have one since he's still in Nuke School? (he doesn't know)
    - Does Tricare ever not cover a Navy member's family?
    - A note....searching for information, I went to this site, and it linked me to nffsp.org, but that site's not Navy related at all :/ it's supposed to be a site for the Navy Fleet and Family Support Program, but instead it's 'New Found Frame Startups Publication'...?
    - Has anyone participated in a Compass class? Was it useful?
    - Read through the Naval Service Training Academy's page for spouses, still would like to talk to people on here
  2. Senior Member
    So I may not be very helpful but the acronym you're looking for is OPSEC.

Also I absolutely can't think of any reason the Navy wouldn't cover a spouse. You need to get your ID and enroll in DEERS, pick your plan, etc.

I believe I just read on here that if your husband is not with you when you get your ID he will need to get you POA through JAG so you can do it on your own. The actually married members will have much more specific information for you.
  3. Senior Member
    COMPASS is a GREAT class to take...particularly someone like yourself. I am a mentor actually....yes I am one of those spouses who are involved.

Resources available are Fleet and Family, military one source,

I went to that site you were directed with and looks legit and some helpful info.

As far as getting your ID its best for him to be with you if available. He will get you updated into the system and get you into DEERS which than allows you to get medical which you can do on your own...don't need him. You can get your ID and all alone but need the correct forms. 1172b is what is needed.
  4. Senior Member
    Where in Ohio are you? We are near Cincinnati and if you need help, I could ask dh, but I'm pretty sure if you are in DEERS you could go to the Cincinnati NOSC and get an I'D.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by kt_bug View Post
    snip
    Thanks! And yeah I figured as much, good to hear confirmation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Margot31 View Post
    snip
    Yeah I'd love to be one of those 'involved' spouses too once I've settled into the swing of things lol. Do you have a link to a Fleet and Family site, if there is one? I see the program mentioned on lots of sites but have yet to find a site for the program itself...that and I keep getting 'privacy error's when clicking on some of the official looking sites o-o;? Also I'm not sure we're seeing the same site....https://www.nffsp.org is what I was linked to, and it's all about startup businesses not specifically related to the military, not Fleet and Family
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    snip
    I'm literally on the opposite side of the state haha, thank you though!

I'll try to do my best to have him with me when I get my ID!
  6. Senior Member
    Family Fleet pages are based on your location. There is a very generic site for all navy but what is really offered as far as classes and services is based on location.
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Aaaah gotcha!
  8. Senior Member
    Awww man, sorry.
    I went to school in Akron. But that was a long time ago and I don't know who I could point you toward there.
  9. Regular Member
    I googled and found this: CNIC Releases New Online Navy Spouse Orientation Course
    It's an online Navy Spouse orientation course.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    He needs to enroll you in DEERS. He does this by bringing in the required paperwork including marriage license/wedding cert.
    Once you are in, you are entitled to all the benefits of any spouse.
    He then signs the form to get you an I'd, and mails that to you. You then go to a base and get your ID.
    Not as simple as that, but as simple as that.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast