Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to IG about leadership refusing to let him ACAP

1. Senior Member

Bang Head Going to IG about leadership refusing to let him ACAP

Advertisements
    So DB has had his VOW week scheduled for the upcoming week (May 8-12) since February, after asking his squad leader who told him to schedule it for any time in April or May. He gave the paperwork to his SSG at the time, who was then moved up to BN. He was then given a new squad leader who asked for his dates and again DB gave him the paperwork. Somewhere in the midst of this they scheduled a field problem that week. Nobody said anything to DB about having to reschedule VOW week, which is mandatory for him to ACAP on time.

When he got word of what time everyone was leaving for the field on Monday (like 0300), he sent his leadership a reminder that he would not be there because he had to be at VOW week. His leadership then told him that he would not be going to VOW week and that he was to report with everyone else and leave at 0300 then call the ACAP office as soon as it opened at 730 and tell them he wouldn't be coming in because he was 6 hours away up north in the field. His class is supposed to start at 800 on Monday morning, so he would be canceling less than half an hour in advance if he can even get through at all because they're going through a remote part of Alaska and I'm willing to bet service isn't great. If he misses VOW week without rescheduling, he risks falling behind on his ACAP schedule and not being able to ETS on time since they leave for JRTC the first week of June and VOW week has to be completed before then. He wouldn't be able to reschedule until this Friday at the earliest or possibly next Monday, which would make it extremely difficult for him to finish VOW week by the end of the month, if his leadership even lets him since they're prepping for JRTC.

The way I see it, his leadership has had this information for months and nobody ever told him to reschedule, but now they're trying to force him to miss his scheduled VOW week to go to the field (where he told me they're literally just going to sit on top of a hill and shoot stuff) because they forgot or didn't realize it until a day before they leave. He has told me before that he can't miss VOW week without screwing up his ACAP process and ETS date. Is this something he can go to IG with or at least threaten to?
  2. Senior Member
    He can certainly go to the IG, or threaten that. But in order to know whether it's something on which the IG will act, he needs to look up the regulations. What rule, if any, are the breaking? Are they required to give him time away from field ops for VOW? I'm not saying it's not shitty, but they may be well within their rights and within the regulations, in which case threatening to go to the IG may cause them to not only dig in their heels, but also to then label him as a problem child, meaning they will be even less likely to work with him. Before he makes a threat, he needs to understand what he's threatening, IOW.

So look up the regs, and then go from there. If they are within regs, there's really not much he can do, other than maybe ask the Chain of Command to at least put in a word with the class regarding getting him rescheduled.

Good luck! I hope he can work something out.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member
    I assumed as much. I'm hoping he can call someone, explain the situation, and have them tell him whether it's within regs. I've been trying to look it up but finding info on the military is so difficult. An article I found from the Fort Hood Sentinel said only a BN Commander or CSM can pull a soldier from VOW week and he thinks the order came from his SFC. I'll keep looking.

Does anyone know where to find post policies on things like this?
    Last edited by kt_bug; 05-06-2017 at 11:28 PM.
  4. Senior Member
    His leadership is just being extra shitty about anyone getting out and it's so frustrating. His last squad leader wouldn't let him ACAP according to the schedule which is why he has to do VOW week 6 months out instead of the 12-9 it was supposed to be scheduled for, so now he's following some individual plan that the ACAP people told him he absolutely has to stick to. This is the same guy who ordered him to write letters to all of his leadership's wives apologizing for their deaths because he wasn't reenlisting. Another soldier (in his platoon or battalion I'm not sure which) is being denied his terminal leave because they are forcing him to go to JRTC instead. I am seriously counting down the days until his ETS date so we don't have to keep dealing with this BS.
  5. Senior Member
    Ugh that's so stupid. Why are they even sending someone who's getting out to do this shit. I have no advice, just wanted to commiserate.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Ugh that's so stupid. Why are they even sending someone who's getting out to do this shit. I have no advice, just wanted to commiserate.
    They can't function without him. He's the only one in the company who's gone to certain schools, the only one who knows how to do all of the radio stuff, etc. They keep giving him new responsibilities instead of having him train people who are actually going to be around when they deploy this fall. They're also just pissed that he's getting out in general.

Thank you for the commiseration lol it's good to know I'm not the only one who thinks this is beyond dumb.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by kt_bug View Post
    His leadership is just being extra shitty about anyone getting out and it's so frustrating. His last squad leader wouldn't let him ACAP according to the schedule which is why he has to do VOW week 6 months out instead of the 12-9 it was supposed to be scheduled for, so now he's following some individual plan that the ACAP people told him he absolutely has to stick to. This is the same guy who ordered him to write letters to all of his leadership's wives apologizing for their deaths because he wasn't reenlisting. Another soldier (in his platoon or battalion I'm not sure which) is being denied his terminal leave because they are forcing him to go to JRTC instead. I am seriously counting down the days until his ETS date so we don't have to keep dealing with this BS.
    Has anyone taken this stuff to IG? Like this command sounds absolutely out of line and that shit isn't okay. Pretty sure terminal leave can't be denied for training. Why spend the time and money on someone who's getting out?
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EverlastingLove View Post
    Has anyone taken this stuff to IG? Like this command sounds absolutely out of line and that shit isn't okay. Pretty sure terminal leave can't be denied for training. Why spend the time and money on someone who's getting out?
    The guy being denied terminal leave is taking it to IG. DB was given such short notice on this (like 30 hours) that there's not much he can do besides talk to his leadership. If this persists I'm going to insist he go to IG. There may be nothing they can do but at least it starts a paper trail. He's just such a don't stir the pot kind of guy and doesn't want to get anyone in trouble.

What makes the most sense to me is to have him do all of his ACAP stuff in June instead of going to JRTC. They don't have to pay to send him and he won't miss work like prepping for deployment. His old squad leader actually told him to do that but then someone else thought they might force him to go anyways and miss all of his appointments like they are now.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

http://www.apd.army.mil/ProductMaps/PubForm/AR.aspx

Found this website that looks like they have all the regulations listed. There are a ton, but by searching for key words you might find what you're looking for.
  10. Senior Member
    Thanks! I read through a bunch o of stuff yesterday but nothing specific enough. I'll try that.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast