Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Field Training

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Field Training

Advertisements
    I recently accepted a job offer and I am required to go away to 5 weeks of training. This would not be a problem except that my husband now has to go into the field for 10 days at the same time I am gone. We have children and dogs at home, so I am not sure what he is supposed to do with them. His squad leader claimed it wasn't his problem to figure out. Does anyone have experience with this? Are we supposed to find someone willing to watch our family for the ten days or should I contact higher leadership and see if my husband can get around field training this round?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    YOU absolutely should NOT contact anyone on his behalf. He is an adult with an adult job. But your children are not their problem.
    Should he contact the company you are training with and ask them to switch your interview? No.
    You should.
    Or find someone to watch the kids during that time.
    Last edited by Guynavywife; 05-02-2017 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Misread interview for training
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

One option you could look into is to see if the company can do anything for you. The company I work for often has people travel for business for weeks+ at a time and their regional offices have onsite daycare to accommodate their parents that travel. Not sure about pet boarding but it doesn't hurt to check.

I do agree with Asher though, I don't think you should contact his leadership at all. If anything, he could tell them but it sounds like he already got his answer.
  4. Senior Member
    This happens all the time, and is one of the reasons I am currently staying at home. I am an RN and finding childcare last minute was getting to be impossible with my husband's flying schedule changing on a weekly/daily basis. There is literally nothing you can do except try to change your schedule. It's unfortunate, but it sounds like your husband already asked and they told him there was nothing they would do about it. Going over that person's head will only make things bad for your husband's work environment and won't change his schedule.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  5. Regular Member
    Sounds like a stressful situation but I agree with those above. He has a contract with the Army and what big Army says, goes. It's not their responsibility. Maybe you can move your training or coordinate with friends and family and neighbors for care.