Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random/Odd Question?

1. Regular Member

Random/Odd Question?

Advertisements
    Super random question and I'm sure I could get the answer from one of my friends, but ehh..

I was just curious, when people are in a dual mil relationship, but one spouse is a dependent and joins after the first spouse...does the spouse that is enrolled in DEERS, keep their dependent ID card as well as get their CAC card once they enlist and get into and through basic? Or does their depend ID cancel out (?) so to speak, since that person is no longer a civilian and doesnt fall into civilian medical care anymore?

Weird and random question I know...it's been a very slow and boring Sunday for me
  2. Senior Member
    I don't know for sure, but I know you definitely get an ID like active duty gets. As for the dependant ID, not sure
  3. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Once you join the military you get your own card. Why would you keep your dependent?

life's a party, rock your body
  4. Senior Member
    Yeah idk if we have anybody here who can answer that definitively, the only dual mil members I know of I'm pretty sure were already enlisted before they got married. I would assume you'd just move on to using your cac card, but I don't see why you couldn't still use the dependent ID if you wanted to for identification purposes. Like the barcode might become deactivated so it couldn't be scanned but idk.
  5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    Once you join the military you get your own card. Why would you keep your dependent?
    That's what I'm saying. There's obviously no need for it, but is it one of those things that would be revoked because you are now a service member yourself? Or you just wouldn't have any need/use for it, so you wouldn't renew it after expiration.

Not that it really matters. I was just genuinely curious, because I know your spouse would still be able to claim BAH, so you're obviously still a dependent.
  6. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yeah idk if we have anybody here who can answer that definitively, the only dual mil members I know of I'm pretty sure were already enlisted before they got married. I would assume you'd just move on to using your cac card, but I don't see why you couldn't still use the dependent ID if you wanted to for identification purposes. Like the barcode might become deactivated so it couldn't be scanned but idk.

That makes sense. That's essentially what I mean, would they allow you to have two forms of ID i.e. CAC card and dependent ID, even though you're no longer a civilian and have no need for it? Like you said they might deactivate the bar code? Instead of making you surrender your dependent ID?
  7. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I'm not sure why it really matters. Like, are you asking for a specific reason or this just randomly came up? I'm just trying to think of a situation you would want to use your dependent over the other card?

life's a party, rock your body
  8. Regular Member
    Honestly, it crossed my mind a few days ago, and I asked DH if he knew and his response was "I don't know. Does it matter?" Then he walked off to go play Xbox.. but no, no specific reason, just a random thing I was thinking about and was curious if anyone knew
  9. Senior Member
    One cannot be both an active duty member and a dependent. If they are active duty, they no longer meet the definition of "dependent".
  10. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    One cannot be both an active duty member and a dependent. If they are active duty, they no longer meet the definition of "dependent".
    That's what I was thinking because your dependent ID as a spouse says that you are civilian dependent, but I know that one member in a dual mil marriage can claim BAH so technically they're claiming the other spouse right? Or am I just way off now?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast