Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RRT and need advice

1. Regular Member

RRT and need advice

Advertisements
    So, I just received a call from my DB last night and he was saying he was not too sure about his MOS because it is a long 2 years of training. And he said he will miss everything and he was really upset that he missed the birth of his niece.. He was telling me that he wanted to change his MOS to ranger but it will be the same length of training and maybe even worse. It seems like he is unsure about it and I think he is confused. I know it might be because he is stressed out but I know him and I don't think his heart is in the army anymore. He was had high hopes before shipping out but i guess things change. Now, if he considered RTT, will there be any penalties or such? I feel like maybe he should leave and think about it and come back and i know, i know... i hear a lot of bad things about RTT but i feel like its better if he thought about it and maybe come back and be 100% sure. Wondering if anyone can give me advice please or what to do. I am so lost and stressed out that i don't know what to expect or think..
  2. Senior Member
    What is RTT?
  3. Senior Member
    Yes, what is RTT (or RRT, from your title)? Never heard of it, and Google doesn't seem to have heard of it either, or at least not in ay way that makes sense in the context of your post, which seems to be about a program that allows him to come home from boot camp and return, maybe?
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Regular Member
    Oops. Didn't realize that! RTT means refuse to train
  5. Senior Member
    I feel like that's probably not a great idea.
    I understand being upset about missing things, I missed my nephew being born as well, but it was because I was away at school (different I know) trying to better my life. There will be more milestones. It's just my opinion, but I think he should pick an MOS he will be happy doing for his agreed length of service, and get it done. I know it comes down to what he wants to do, but he already committed, it sounds like temporary feelings are having part in a permanent decision. That is never good.
  6. Senior Member
    It's very hard to be there for everything unless you aren't living your life. I didn't even meet my nephew until he was nearly nine months old because my sister and her husband were stationed far from us and we had too much going on to pick up and travel. Her next one is due soon and I have to cancel my dream vacation if I want to go see them immeadiately. Many fathers miss the birth of their own baby. Life is hard

Doubts are normal to have, especially in the beginning stages, so I would tell him to see how he's feeling in a month or two. RTT sounds like a very bad idea to me.
  7. Senior Member
    That means they discharge him right? No, that isn't good. Is he sure it would be an honorable discharge?
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  8. Senior Member
    Ah, so he is looking to be discharged. If he received an Entry Level Separation, it wouldn't be characterized, so not honorable, not general, just uncharacterized. OR, the commander could characterize his discharge. If he were discharged, he should not expect to be able to get back in.
  9. Senior Member
    So he wants to be discharged to "think about it", and then maybe go back? I'd say that is very, very unlikely to work out for him. If this isn't for him, fine. Nothing wrong with that. But the Army is very unlikely to give an expensive and limited boot camp spot to a guy with a history of quitting boot camp. Why would they, when there are plenty of people wanting to join, who haven't already shown they aren't really committed? If he's shown a history of not being committed, or of doubting things when life gets hard, he's unlikely to be successful in a military career, so he's not a good bet for *another* BTC spot in the future. Because life gets hard not just during BTC. Nephews (and even sons and daughters) are born during deployments. Families goes through crises and the service member can't be there. It's a fact of this life.

His choices are basically to stick it out, or not be in the military. Either is fine and perfectly respectable, but he should not consider "go home and maybe come back later to be a viable option" unless there's some very special circumstance or he has some specific reason to believe his situation will be different than average.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    That means they discharge him right? No, that isn't good. Is he sure it would be an honorable discharge?
    I've heard of such a thing. Some can be discharged at basic/training due to something (not sure the reasoning's). Its called a General Discharge, I though? I could be wrong, but its kind of in between, not really honorable or dishonorable discharge.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast