Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions and Advice for a Newbie please!

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Currently in Alabama, but not for too much longer!

Jump for Joy Opinions and Advice for a Newbie please!

Advertisements
    I just want to know how everyone feels about their life as a military spouse! Please give me your thoughts, opinions, stories, tips, or advice!

My husband is going to MEPS this Wednesday for the Army. He is leaving on May 8th for Basic Training. We have been together since 2008 and married since 2014 but have never done long distance. We have one daughter who is 14 months old. We have mixed support from our families, some supportive and some not supportive at all.
  2. Senior Member
    Welcome! Hopefully you can find the support and answer you are looking for on this forum.
  3. Regular Member
    It really is what you make of it. I think a lot of it depends upon your outlook and positivity/negativity to situations. When times get tough, keeping a good a attitude is really a key factor IMO.
  4. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Thank you for commenting and I agree! I usually always can keep a positive attitude/outlook. I know in any situation of life it won't be butterflies and rainbows all the time, but he is ready to start a real career. This is something DH and I have discussed for a few years now so I am ready to jump in. I just hope he likes it. It has been hard for him to get a good start in our small town. There is not much to offer here at all so good careers are hard to come by. We also have always talked about getting out of this area so I am sure we will enjoy that part. I am just a little worried about the separation. We have not been apart much in our 9 years of being together.
  5. Senior Member
    This lifestyle can be very demanding and hard but it can also be very rewarding too. It is ok be sad, angry but don't hold those thing in let them out somehow. In my life I live by there is the right way, the wrong way and the navy's way. You will learn to let certain things go and relax more about the issue...there are some thing that you will stand true to. Don't be afraid to be active but don't be a know it all. Don't be afraid to use resources. There are plenty out there for the military and families and sometimes people, other organizations have a wealth of info that can help you out.
  6. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Yes, I am going to have to learn to just relax and wait sometimes. I am a planner that asks millions of questions. So I am going to have to relax a little with that. It is giving me anxiety already. I cannot wait to find out where we will be stationed after AIT. I definitely want to learn as much as I can about the military and be involved. I want to be supportive and let him know that I am in this with him and make it as easy for him as I can.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsKS View Post
    Yes, I am going to have to learn to just relax and wait sometimes. I am a planner that asks millions of questions. So I am going to have to relax a little with that. It is giving me anxiety already. I cannot wait to find out where we will be stationed after AIT. I definitely want to learn as much as I can about the military and be involved. I want to be supportive and let him know that I am in this with him and make it as easy for him as I can.
    I'm the same way, I like to plan and KNOW. this is a problem I have because you just can't sometimes. Drives me nuts, and my husband nuts because I ask a million questions
  8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Right! It drives my husband crazy too. He is so laid back and just goes with the flow. I usually am, but some things I just need to plan for. I feel like I am going to have so many questions while he is in BCT and I don't want to drive him crazy asking a ton during the few days I get to see him at graduation. BTW.... So when he graduates, we get to see him for a few days and then he goes straight to AIT right?
  9. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    It's not something I ever expected my life would have in it, and parts of it can be really profoundly challenging. Spending so much time apart can be difficult, and when the army decides (strictly for shits and giggles) to blow a hole in whatever carefully made plans we might have had that can be frustrating.

But if I want him (and I do) I have to accept this part of him. He's a lifer to the core of his bones; given a choice, he would stay until they MADE him leave!

"You stupid bastard, bits keep falling off you and we had to roll you in here in a wheelbarrow. GO HOME."

There are compensations, too. The travel and moving around is pretty fun for me, though others may find it harder.
  10. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    We look forward to the travel and just new experiences. We are from a small city that we have grown up in so we are ready to branch out and try something new.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast