Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Let's talk Guam

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Let's talk Guam

Advertisements
    Hey ya'll! So, we will be heading to Guam soon. We will be stationed at Andersen AFB, and it has been really difficult to obtain pertinent, recent information. Most of the blogs and posts I have found are more than 2 years old. So, for anyone that has any insight--please help!

Pre-k and childcare--I have a 4 year old that should be starting pre-k there and an 18 month old that will require childcare if I can find employment. I have reached out to the School Liaison, but haven't heard anything back. Does anyone have any insight on whether we need to do anything prior to our arrival to get our 4 year registered for pre-k? Childcare for the younger goober--any idea whether the CDC is hard to get into?

Living on or off base--preferences any why? And generators--should we buy one before we leave?

Employment for me--I am a licensed social worker, and am hopeful that I can find employment--even if it's just part time. I know that both the Air Force Base and Naval base have openings right now, and I have applied--but does anyone have any insight on possible local employment for social workers?

To pack or to give away--we have two boys so I obviously saved all winter clothes from the oldest. Will we need any winter clothes in Guam at all? I plan on keeping a little for when we go back to the states, but don't want to get rid of things if there is a possibility that we may need them.

Support--what is the military community like there? I have heard mixed reviews. We have been stationed at the same base for 13 years (not by choice) so our current base is home for me. It's where I went to undergrad and graduate school, where our boys were born, and where our friends who are now family are. Most of my friends are non-military, and the mil spouse community is kind of harsh. I have never had to pick up and leave everyone and everything I know--so I'm nervous about the mil spouse community there. Any advice?

Rotator flights--how does that work? Does my husband have to be with us for my sons and I to be able to fly back to the states?

There is a huge part of me that is really, really excited about the upcoming adventure. I am thrilled that the boys will have this opportunity because there are so many people who never get to live anywhere but the place they were born. I'm also really excited that we get to pick up and move--just the four of us to somewhere completely new and form a new life together. I'm hopeful that when we look back twenty years from now, the 4 years we spend is Guam will be some of the best years of our lives.

Thanks for your help!
  2. Senior Member
    We have looked into Guam, had family that did mission work there, and it's where my husband does AT. I can't offer much in way of school advice, but in my opinion, this is a place that is worth living on base. Depending on where you go like everywhere, but there is crime and the island is tiny.
  3. Senior Member
    Were you given a sponsor? Reach out to them or even the key spouse of the command your spouse will be attached with.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I'll be back later - we were there for three years. Short answer is base housing, all the way and the spouse support out there is unlike any other place we've been. I miss that the most, everyone is alone out there so therefore everyone helps everyone else. The locals are also amazing. We miss it
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Oh - and weather is very hot. Keep a little bit for visiting back home and sight seeing in places with winter but it's a tropical island. A year in and you'll be wearing a sweatshirt and sweatpants bundled up in 75* weather
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you. We have reached out to his sponsor some, we will continue to do so. I am so glad to hear that you had such a great experience! I do think that your results at most bases is what you make it. We are excited, and your post just made me even more excited!