Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Birthday stuff

1. d12
    The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.

Birthday stuff

Advertisements
    DB has been out in the woods for several weeks but should be back in communication land next Friday. He turned 30 last week (during a horrible course, I can't imagine how shitty that birthday might have been LOL).

I won't be able to see him until the end of May so I am sending some stuff for him for part of his birthday (I'll take the "gift-gift" when I go).

I have:
    • A gift card out to eat at his favorite place (a few meals because he'll need it lol)
    • A gift card to GNC (he lives there practically)
    • And some Texas themed stuff since he has to live in crumby old NC ( )

What else should I include? He isn't an overly sentimental type (I'm literally sending him a sticky note instead of a card because he hates cards but thinks my notes are cute? Weird I know). He is incredibly difficult. I'm just trying to think of little things to entertain him for a few more weeks. Any ideas would be soooooo appreciated. His interests are shooting shit, working out, and eating. lol typical man.

Thank you in advance.
  2. Regular Member
    My DF loves shooting as well. Whenever he was gone I would send Gun/shooting magazines in his care packages or when he would have long flights to occupy his time. He always liked getting them... of course he would always "need" a new gun shortly after
  3. d12
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie10 View Post
    My DF loves shooting as well. Whenever he was gone I would send Gun/shooting magazines in his care packages or when he would have long flights to occupy his time. He always liked getting them... of course he would always "need" a new gun shortly after
    No kidding on the needing a new gun [rolling my eyes] haha
  4. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie10 View Post
    I like this idea. If he's not already reading it, something like Men's Health might be a good pick for magazines? I usually send mine whatever cheap crappy paperbacks I find at the thrift store (he has a thing about really awful pulpy novels), or a new deck of cards/sketchbook (for hangman, paddocks and sundry games with his cronies)

I'll teach you how to make biltong or fruit leather, if that's something he'd like to graze on. My husband really, REALLY loves my biltong...and it's the kind of thing he can just sort of stash in his kit if he has to go bush again on this course.
  5. d12
    I'd lovvvve to learn how to make it...
  6. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by d12 View Post
    I'd lovvvve to learn how to make it...
    Here's a basic recipe to play with. Mine is slightly different (I add brown sugar, vinegar and red pepper as well) but this should be easy enough.

Personally I find I like beef topside (a thigh cut, might be sold as part of the round over there) for this, and hang it in front of a fan to dry faster.

If you'd prefer fruit leather, that's a lot faster. What's his favourite fruit?