Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: To Enroll in EFMP in Guam or Not to Enroll

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

To Enroll in EFMP in Guam or Not to Enroll

Advertisements
    Hello! My son who is in kindergarten was having some behavioral problems in school. So we decided to pull him from school and homeschool him. He has been doing very well at home this past year. We recently PCSED to Guam in January at which point my husband wanted to try to see if he would do well here in the school. Well his behavior caused problems in school and we decided to continue to homeschool him. We just started the medical process to have evaluated here in Guam by his PCM. I had our first appointment with her yesterday where she told me they don't have the services here for my son. Assuming my son has ADHD or ODD. She didn't evaluate or test him yesterday we just talked about what I would like to do. I am a little concerned what will happen to our family if we proceed with the following up screenings. If we proceed and she diagnoses him with ADHD or ODD and states he needs treatment they don't provide here our family will be split up. I obviously don't want my family split up. So I am unsure what to do. I am capable of homeschooling my son, I have been doing so for the past year. I really don't want my son to be classified as EFMP and am considering not going to any future appointments to test him for a behavioral disorder. I just don't know what to do because on one hand I feel like he may need the help. And on the other I feel like this is something he will out grow and in the meantime I can homeschooling him. I don't want an EFMP to follow us around. We just PCSED to Guam, and this EFMP could qualify us for EFMP reassignment and my husband would have to stay here. Can anyone tell me how the diagnosis process works? We only had one appointment with his PCM which just referred us to the Navy Hospital. And we just had one appointment yesterday with Pediatric Mental health who scheduled use for more appointments for testing. What happens if we don't go to these appointments. Will there be anything on his medical records to classify him for a EFMP? Sorry this post is long. Like I said I don't know what we should do. I am trying to figure out a situation for my family to stay together.

Thank you for your advice.
  2. Senior Member
    This is what I am hearing:
    My son may have an issue.
    If he gets diagnosed it may make some aspects of life difficult.
    Due to those difficulties, I don't want my son to get evaluated and receive the help he needs to deal with his issue.

Is that what you are saying? Wouldn't you want your son to receive the best care possible and for him to learn how best to handle the issue he may have for the rest of his life?
  3. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Your son clearly needs to be assessed. You know this. If you didn't know this, the question of whether or not to have him assessed wouldn't have occurred to you.

IF he's assessed, his assessment may come up with nothing; he's just a complicated little boy with more layers than he knows what to do with right now, who will settle as he grows up. Or it may come up with something, the ADHD or ODD diagnosis you've been wondering about.

IF he's diagnosed, he'll need help and support to manage it. Depending on the severity of his diagnosis, this help may be available in Guam, in which case the family stays together. Or it may not, and you'll have to be apart.

IF you have to be apart, then you'll have to think about how best to cope with that.

I know you're worried. It's a scary thing to think about, and I sympathise...but I think maybe you're two or three steps ahead of yourself? He hasn't even been formally tested yet, never mind been diagnosed and put on any EFMP listing that would require you be apart.

One step at a time. Focus on the testing first. Then, when you have results from those tests, focus on how to help your son and the rest of the family understand and manage whatever those results tell him. Once you have a plan to help him, THEN worry about putting that plan into action.
  4. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    This is what I am hearing:
    My son may have an issue.
    If he gets diagnosed it may make some aspects of life difficult.
    Due to those difficulties, I don't want my son to get evaluated and receive the help he needs to deal with his issue.

Is that what you are saying? Wouldn't you want your son to receive the best care possible and for him to learn how best to handle the issue he may have for the rest of his life?
    Of course I want to make sure he has the best care. I just don't want to have to move again after we just PCSED 3 months ago to Guam... I mean who really want to PCSED after a PCSED. I really just want to keep our family together for as long as possible. I really want to be together if we can be together. (I deal well with deployments and being separated from my husband. I just like to keep my family together if we can be together.) Regardless of minor medical issues. But after thinking a bunch last night and worrying a bunch. I decided we are just going to continue with the whole process of diagnosis. Like you said it is best for my son to have the help he needs. I also talked with a few spouses here and it seems ADHD and ODD don't always qualify you for a reassignment here. It just depends on how severe his needs are. There are a few doctors here he can see and the seems fairly nice. For now I am just going to take it one step at a time and try to find my son the help he needs here. And if in the event we are forced to Enroll in EFMP and possibly move after I will deal with that when the time comes.
  5. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    Your son clearly needs to be assessed. You know this. If you didn't know this, the question of whether or not to have him assessed wouldn't have occurred to you.

IF he's assessed, his assessment may come up with nothing; he's just a complicated little boy with more layers than he knows what to do with right now, who will settle as he grows up. Or it may come up with something, the ADHD or ODD diagnosis you've been wondering about.

IF he's diagnosed, he'll need help and support to manage it. Depending on the severity of his diagnosis, this help may be available in Guam, in which case the family stays together. Or it may not, and you'll have to be apart.

IF you have to be apart, then you'll have to think about how best to cope with that.

I know you're worried. It's a scary thing to think about, and I sympathise...but I think maybe you're two or three steps ahead of yourself? He hasn't even been formally tested yet, never mind been diagnosed and put on any EFMP listing that would require you be apart.

One step at a time. Focus on the testing first. Then, when you have results from those tests, focus on how to help your son and the rest of the family understand and manage whatever those results tell him. Once you have a plan to help him, THEN worry about putting that plan into action.
    First I want to say yesterday I had really bad anxiety about this. And all kinds of thoughts were running through my mind. After sleeping on it and thinking about it. I am just moving forward with the whole process. Just like you said take it one step at a time and move forward from there. I know that helping my son is the most important thing here. That isaid hat I am going to do.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I'm really glad that you had time to step away from it last night and get some clarity. My son had a stroke when I was pregnant with him and he has been enrolled in EFMP since he was 6 months old. It has caused some problems in obtaining PCS orders to certain places, but after seeing the progress that he has made over the past 3 years--I am so thankful that EFMP is in place to ensure that our little guy is able to get the help he needs wherever we go. It's not as bad as a lot of people make it sound. We were actually cleared to go to Guam despite medical conditions, so just because Guam doesn't have the services needed, it doesn't mean that you guys won't ever be able to get orders overseas or to other really cool places. It just ensures that wherever you go, they will be able to support him, and you guys with whatever help is needed. It sounds like you're a great mom--I wish you guys the best!

Edit: I completely understand being anxious about the thought of your family being separated--but I also know if you can survive deployments, you will be strong enough to survive this--whatever the outcome is. Hang in there, momma!
    Last edited by Sunshine3245; 04-07-2017 at 08:22 AM.