Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Tell me about Yokota

1. Senior Member

Tell me about Yokota

Advertisements
    DH has the possibility of orders to Yokota in two ish years. He's in an instructor slot now, so we know how long we'll be here (give or take a bit of course). His order frame lines up with a new experience for his job in Japan. Before he puts his name out there, we're looking at what all Japan entails.

1) I'll have a BSN (already an RN and finish my BSN in a few months). Are there job opportunities for that or would my best bet be staying home or teaching English, etc while I'm there?

2) Are the DOD pretty awesome? I've always heard they are.

3) How's city life? I've never lived in a city that big (I mean Tokyo, wow) so I have no idea what that even means.

4) How is base life? DH will be gone lots, so are travel opportunities offered? I'm all for traveling alone, but not with a will-be five year old and three year old.d

5) How is base housing there for NCO level? Is off base an option?

I've heard nothing but good things about Japan, but not a lot in general about this particular base. Any advice at all would be awesome.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I don't have many answers but I have a friend who moved there last year and is really enjoying it. The base seems nice, and from what she says it sounds fairly big. I'm not sure if this is an absolute, but it sounds like people live in tower apartments so she does have some struggle getting in and out of the house because she has two young kids and two dogs (and the dogs aren't allowed on the elevators) so she depends on her husband coming home and walking the dogs or watching the kids.

They do all sorts of fun things with festivals and parks, and exploring the food. Oh and if I'm remembering correctly he's an e5 or e6.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    DH has the possibility of orders to Yokota in two ish years. He's in an instructor slot now, so we know how long we'll be here (give or take a bit of course). His order frame lines up with a new experience for his job in Japan. Before he puts his name out there, we're looking at what all Japan entails.

1) I'll have a BSN (already an RN and finish my BSN in a few months). Are there job opportunities for that or would my best bet be staying home or teaching English, etc while I'm there?

2) Are the DOD pretty awesome? I've always heard they are.

3) How's city life? I've never lived in a city that big (I mean Tokyo, wow) so I have no idea what that even means.

4) How is base life? DH will be gone lots, so are travel opportunities offered? I'm all for traveling alone, but not with a will-be five year old and three year old.d

5) How is base housing there for NCO level? Is off base an option?

I've heard nothing but good things about Japan, but not a lot in general about this particular base. Any advice at all would be awesome.

You won't be living in Tokyo. Tokyo is fairly close, but way to far to like for work at Yokota. It's probably about an hour by train from the base to Tokyo (though Tokyo is huge so some parts could be much farther). The areas around Yokota is like a mid-sized US city, not a massive super city. So think of it like living an hour outside of San Francisco. You are close enough to visit the city for a day trip, but you definitely don't live in the city. You are in the suburbs.

It's a large base (to my Navy standards, at least). I think it *might* be mandatory to live on base, but I'm not sure. I know much of their base housing in tower apartments, but I'm not sure what else they have.

It's also a great location because there are tons of Space A flights out from there, so you could just pop over and see if you can get on a flight, and if not, NBD, if you are willing to try that with the kids.

Not sure what the "DOD" is, other than Department of Defense and that doesn't seem to make sense.

The base has lots of bus trips offered, usually on weekends but occasionally during the week. I think prices are about the same as from our base, which means they are pretty reasonable for what you get. They go to all kinds of cultural events and locations.

You can check USAjobs, which is where nearly all the civilian jobs on base would be listed. Not sure about nursing. I think teaching English is great, and the money is fantastic. (All my classes pay about $35-40/hr, though there are cheaper classes, but I'm picky. )

I'm not in Yokota, but that's what I know about it.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    I don't have many answers but I have a friend who moved there last year and is really enjoying it. The base seems nice, and from what she says it sounds fairly big. I'm not sure if this is an absolute, but it sounds like people live in tower apartments so she does have some struggle getting in and out of the house because she has two young kids and two dogs (and the dogs aren't allowed on the elevators) so she depends on her husband coming home and walking the dogs or watching the kids.

They do all sorts of fun things with festivals and parks, and exploring the food. Oh and if I'm remembering correctly he's an e5 or e6.
    Thank you! It looks like the area is full of fun things to do. I am slightly iffy about the apartment style living, yards and growing stuff is kind of my thing. But, it is Japan after all, so I'm sure there are plenty of gardens I could at least go and look at. I've never heard one person say a bad thing about being stationed in Japan so that has to count for something!

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    You won't be living in Tokyo. Tokyo is fairly close, but way to far to like for work at Yokota. It's probably about an hour by train from the base to Tokyo (though Tokyo is huge so some parts could be much farther). The areas around Yokota is like a mid-sized US city, not a massive super city. So think of it like living an hour outside of San Francisco. You are close enough to visit the city for a day trip, but you definitely don't live in the city. You are in the suburbs.

It's a large base (to my Navy standards, at least). I think it *might* be mandatory to live on base, but I'm not sure. I know much of their base housing in tower apartments, but I'm not sure what else they have.

It's also a great location because there are tons of Space A flights out from there, so you could just pop over and see if you can get on a flight, and if not, NBD, if you are willing to try that with the kids.

Not sure what the "DOD" is, other than Department of Defense and that doesn't seem to make sense.

The base has lots of bus trips offered, usually on weekends but occasionally during the week. I think prices are about the same as from our base, which means they are pretty reasonable for what you get. They go to all kinds of cultural events and locations.

You can check USAjobs, which is where nearly all the civilian jobs on base would be listed. Not sure about nursing. I think teaching English is great, and the money is fantastic. (All my classes pay about $35-40/hr, though there are cheaper classes, but I'm picky. )

I'm not in Yokota, but that's what I know about it.
    Thank you!! I thought you were in Japan (or were) so I was hoping you would see this. I think you're right about it being mandatory to live on base if housing is available. I googled some old blogs last night and that seemed to be the trend. Apartment style living makes me nervous, but knowing it's not forever would help. I'm glad to hear it isn't directly in Tokyo. It seems when you google anything, Yokota = Tokyo and that made me nervous.

And I left out the most important word of my post: schools, DOD Schools. I've heard nothing but good things about them, we've just never really thought about them before because our oldest is currently 3.

I will have to check out the job situation; I know in Europe it isn't great for nurses just because there are more nurses than base jobs. If I didn't work it wouldn't be the worst thing and the teaching English positions sound like they could be pretty lucrative.

If you think of anything else please let me know! There's a solid chance we'll be overseas, either Japan or a station in Europe (currently Mildenhall but the move to Germany *should* be happening soon). DH's airframe is only at 4 bases, so unless we double a base (not likely) overseas will eventually happen. It isn't what we necessarily want (for lots of mostly silly reasons) but if we do end up going, we'd rather be informed so we can actually have a say versus being placed where we're needed.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥