Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Tips for flying internationally with active 8 month old???

1. Regular Member

Tips for flying internationally with active 8 month old???

Advertisements
    Hi all,

I was wondering if you guys had any tips or advice for flying overseas with an EXTREMELY active 8 month old? It'll be about a 10-12 hour travel time I believe. My LO cannot sit still and always has to be moving so I know completely it's going to be a struggle. I've never traveled with my baby so needless to say I'm TERRIFIED. Any advice is needed haha. And I will be flying by myself unfortunately!

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by em2293; 04-02-2017 at 08:10 PM.
  2. Regular Member
    Buy an extra seat & use the car seat. My aunt is a flight attendant so I will never ever hold my child after flying from what she has told me. Lots of activities & feed them while taking off/landing
  3. Regular Member
    Plus checking the car seat is about the same as getting into a car accident - they get damaged
  4. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Scotch. Lots of scotch, mostly for you.

...okay, not really. More seriously, you really can do this. It will be okay.

When I've travelled with my kids as babies, here's some of the things that have helped

- a couple of small toys to distract him. Ideally ones that are either new or have been taken out of the rotation for a while so he's forgotten about them - if he thinks it's something new, he'll want to investigate it (and possibly eat it) properly, so it will keep him busy for longer. I wrapped the toys up in paper when we flew, so there would be one more thing to investigate.

- Either a dummy or you to suck on, whichever comforts him more. It's all new, it's big, it's a little scary...he needs comfort. Sucking on something during takeoff and landing also helps his ears

- more food than he would normally have, whether that's nursing from you, a bottle or whatever he will take. The air filtration in the plane tends to dry everything out, so he may be more thirsty than usual.
  5. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

Be. Calm. Yourself. The more calm YOU are, the more calm your little will be as they'll feed off you and your emotions.

I second the car seat. It is normal and familiar to them so they can relax and hopefully sleep in it. Snacks, books, NEW toys. If you babywear, wear them through the airport and use the stroller for luggage/carry-ons/car seat.
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

6. Senior Member
    Serious question for those suggesting a car seat. I thought reports have come out saying they are not safe unless used at the right angle in a car connected to the base. Is that just for tiny babies without neck/head control yet? When babysitting my niece and nephew when they were younger, my sister always said never to let them nap in the car seat on the floor.
  7. Senior Member
    It's okay - plenty of people have flown with babies before! I know as mothers we get anxiety and try to prepare for every little thing that might occur. We pack our diaper bags to the brim with anything we *might* need!

I flew 5.5 hours with my son when he was 8 months old. We had some * moments* but we survived!!! Your son will take cues from you, if you are nervous, anxious etc.... he's going to be too and will act it out! I bought a few new toys before our flight and kept them out of sight until we flew. I also tried my hardest to keep him awake until we actually flew. Timed feeding right at take off to help with the ears. I too bought an extra seat and used his car seat which helped a lot!

You can do this!
  8. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCupcake View Post
    Serious question for those suggesting a car seat. I thought reports have come out saying they are not safe unless used at the right angle in a car connected to the base. Is that just for tiny babies without neck/head control yet? When babysitting my niece and nephew when they were younger, my sister always said never to let them nap in the car seat on the floor.
    Consider the alternative. Seriously. I would rather have my child strapped securely into a car seat than in my lap or in adult airline seat belts. Out of a car seat, the child could easily become airborne with zero protection, thrown about violently. At least in a car seat, he/she would remain strapped in, limiting physical damage.