Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast iron skillet

1. Senior Member

Cast iron skillet

Advertisements
    I've never had a cast iron skittle before. The soldier I nanny for just gave me one as she had 3. She was generous to give it to me, I didn't ask and was surprised, but I greatly appreciate it.

How often do you season them? I know you don't just throw it in the dishwasher and then cook with it again. I hand wash it, but I don't know if I have to season it each time?

Any advice is welcome! Please and thank you!
  2. Senior Member
    You don't full on season it every time but after mine is cleaned I like to spread some coconut oil or crisco around the cooking surface. Like sometimes after you use it you'll see some dry spots, that seems to help.

Also never put it in the dishwasher and don't use soap on it. Also don't cook anything too acidic like tomato sauce or anything with citrus juice or vinegar etc, I don't think it ruins the pan but it will make your food taste like metal. I got a little grill pan brush from OXO, it's just a brush with stiff plastic bristles but the other side has a plastic scraper thing. It gets the little burnt on bits off without having to use a dish sponge. All of my cast iron (lodge, staub, le creuset) came pre-seasoned and I've never had to actually re-season any of them so far.

Hilahcooking on YouTube has a good cast iron care video it's been forever since I've seen it but I'm pretty sure she goes over how to season it and the upkeep and all.
  3. Senior Member
    I'm so glad you posted this.. We made pan fried steaks in the cast iron, and while I was on the couch my husband did the dishes.. He used soap, and now it has all these weird brown looking spots on it.
  4. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by caljmw649 View Post
    I've never had a cast iron skittle before. The soldier I nanny for just gave me one as she had 3. She was generous to give it to me, I didn't ask and was surprised, but I greatly appreciate it.

How often do you season them? I know you don't just throw it in the dishwasher and then cook with it again. I hand wash it, but I don't know if I have to season it each time?

Any advice is welcome! Please and thank you!
    **Matchbox puts on Kitchen Nerd hat. Contrary to popular belief, the official Kitchen Nerd hat is NOT a chef's toque, because those suck**.

Hi. I'm objectively an idiot at most things, but I play with pots and pans for a living, so I MAY be of some use here?

Rule one...don't fret too much. I promise, you almost certainly won't hurt it. Good cast iron cookware is essentially indestructible, and it will forgive you a lot of things.

The easiest way to season it is to

A) Wash and dry by hand, to be sure that you're starting with a clean pan

B) Apply a thin coat of oil or fat. Vegetable oil or whatever kind of cooking fat you happen to have will be fine. Buff this into the surface of the pan with a cloth or a paper towel, to be sure that it doesn't miss any spots and it's a nice even layer.

C) Leave the pan in a hot (200-ish if it's in generally good shape; 325F-ish if it's really awful) oven for half an hour or so. The heat helps to get the layer of oil in properly seal the surface.

It needs to be resealed once food starts sticking to it, or once you start seeing patches where the coating is obviously coming away Until that happens, you can carry on using it as much as you like...and every time you use it will honestly make your existing seasoning better; you're using oil and heat, aren't you? The more you love it, the more it loves you.

Wash by hand, and try not to use soap on it if you can help it. If I ever hear of you putting it in the dishwasher, I will be very annoyed.

Heisenberg is right about things you can and can't cook with it - acidic stuff like tomatoes tends to leach iron out of the pan, and might have an aftertaste that not everyone likes. On the other hand, if your doctor suddenly tells you you need more red meat, you can use cast iron pans to boost your iron intake, so it's not all bad!
  5. Senior Member
    Everything has pretty much been said. Never use soap on it. A brush for a grill will work great for cleaning, but I have always used a piece of steel wool. Just scrub and rinse thoroughly with hot water.

It might be a learning curve trying to cook with it, but you'll probably eventually fall in love with it. My mom mostly uses cast iron and I grew up using them. I don't have any now and I miss them so much.
  6. Senior Member
    Is there a way to bring it back from soap being used?
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    Just re-season and it will be perfect again. We put vegetable oil all over it and pop it in the oven on a low heat for a few hours.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  8. Senior Member
    All very helpful information! I appreciate it very much. I know not to put it in the dishwasher. I told my DH it was not allowed to go in there. I may smack him over the head with it if he does. I was told that it was "winterized" I don't know what that means. But I know I have to season it as the chicken I made was sticking to it a bit.
  9. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    Do your penance, scrub it out to get the crap off. Then season it again...and don't let Mr Noodle within ten feet of it until he learns.

Cast iron is fairly forgiving though, so you should be fine.

A side note...questions like this (the pots and pans, the knives, the fun kitchen toys like blowtorches) are a big part of why this thread exists

Matchbox's Kitchen - Ask The Pro

If they come up again for any of you, come see me
  10. Senior Member

My DH came back from his deployment OBSESSED with using our cast iron skillet, I think he has used it every day since he has been back.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast