Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making friends with other military spouses

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Whatever Making friends with other military spouses

Advertisements
    My husband and I are newly married and I just relocated from our home state to his duty station in Norfolk. I'm currently not working and I'm struggling with my husband going on long underways and being alone. All of my family and friends are 8 hours away in New York. Any advice on where and how I should start reaching out to other spouses to make friends? I honestly just don't know where to start. Also, any advice on how to keep myself busy in an area where I don't know my way around very well and I don't know many people would be GREATLY appreciated.
  2. Senior Member
    This is a great start, this page has a location section, and you could find out if there are any planned meet ups, or plan one and invite
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    We're not in Hampton Roads anymore but lived in Virginia Beach for about 4.5 years. There are tons of things to do. I would google things to do in each of the Hampton Roads cities and/or Hampton Roads as a whole. TripAdvisor is also a good place to look. There should be a bunch of festivals happening now and in the near future all around the area. One thing I do in a new area is just get out and drive. See what you happen upon and learn the area....granted Hampton Roads is huge but you'll at least get a general idea of where things are.

As for making friends, the FRG can be a good way. There should be at least one FB page for military spouses in the area. Possibly the SOs of your DH's coworkers. And maybe even your neighbors. Also if you get out and explore you can end up meeting people as well. There are meetup groups for all kinds of things. It can be intimidating but you'll have to put yourself out there.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    This is a great start, this page has a location section, and you could find out if there are any planned meet ups, or plan one and invite

Thank you! I'll definitely give that a shot!
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by BLBnJVB3 View Post
    We're not in Hampton Roads anymore but lived in Virginia Beach for about 4.5 years. There are tons of things to do. I would google things to do in each of the Hampton Roads cities and/or Hampton Roads as a whole. TripAdvisor is also a good place to look. There should be a bunch of festivals happening now and in the near future all around the area. One thing I do in a new area is just get out and drive. See what you happen upon and learn the area....granted Hampton Roads is huge but you'll at least get a general idea of where things are.

As for making friends, the FRG can be a good way. There should be at least one FB page for military spouses in the area. Possibly the SOs of your DH's coworkers. And maybe even your neighbors. Also if you get out and explore you can end up meeting people as well. There are meetup groups for all kinds of things. It can be intimidating but you'll have to put yourself out there.

The transition has definitely been tougher than I had originally anticipated. I'm struggling with making myself leave the house because I've been so intimidated by the vastness of the area and having to do most things on my own. Most people I have met and tried to establish relationships with are also service members so they're availability is just as limited as my husband. My husband is out on his first underway since I relocated from New York and I'm feeling a little lost without him and without any friends to lean on.
  6. Moderator

I personally don't bother trying to make friends with other military spouses. I just make friends with people I connect with, and if they happen to be military spouses, cool- I might see them again if we PCS to the same place again. But I just make friends based on compatibility, and that frequently means they are NOT military spouses.
  7. Senior Member
    If you want military spouses specifically, get involved in the FRG for your DH's command, the OSC (if he's an officer; most commands don't have ESCs), any base wide spouses groups your base may have, and any related Facebook groups (not not just for your base or his ship, because there are often groups for job, like Seabee spouses for example, and many of those people might be in your area).

You can also volunteer. If your focus is military spouses, look for volunteer opportunities on base. Schools, the library, Navy Marine Corps Relief (or whatever your branch has), USO, etc. Or you can go off base, and then there are even more opportunities to connect while volunteering.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Senior Member
    Take a COMPASS class (lots of great information especially for a new spouse) Try volunteering in the area like NMCRS.
  9. Senior Member
    I did a Facebook search for my local base and I searched like "base name" spouses, friends, thigsnlike that. I found one and the girls are amazing on there!!
  10. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post
    I personally don't bother trying to make friends with other military spouses. I just make friends with people I connect with, and if they happen to be military spouses, cool- I might see them again if we PCS to the same place again. But I just make friends based on compatibility, and that frequently means they are NOT military spouses.
    Definitely this!

life's a party, rock your body
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast