Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAH after divorce

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Help BAH after divorce

Advertisements
    Good morning all. I am trying to help out a good friend of mine figure out what will happen to his BAH after his divorce is finalized. A little bit about his situation: He is an active duty E4 who is going thru a divorce. He had to be away from his home, which he lived with his wife, for 3 weeks due to work. When he got home he found his wife had packed EVERYTHING and completely left and went home with not explanation (back in September 2016). She has contacted a lawyer and has proceed with the divorce proceedings. He received a phone call from her asking him to sign the divorce papers this coming weekend. I have advised him not to sign them and to get a lawyer which he is reluctant to due, because he wants everything to be done in a civil manner. He is now concerned about his BAH being taken away and the affects of zero housing in the barracks. Has anyone been thru something similar or have any knowledge or advice for him?

Thanks a Bunch
  2. Regular Member
    Wow..... are you sure you're not talking about my cousin?????????? He's literally going through the same exact thing. Wife packed up the ENTIRE house last year and took their two daughters to her parents' house because he is gone a lot (Marines) and didn't seem like he "has his priorities straight" I can't remember if the divorce has been finalized yet, but it has been an absolute nightmare because he's left with this empty house he still has to pay for and all this nonsense..
    https://66.media.tumblr.com/3a006e1a506c9f8649f4d809726f2d43/tumblr_nwtutw4zvG1sa8ezpo8_r1_250.gif
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Nope, my friend is in the Navy. It is very true about it being a nightmare. Lucky for him they never had any children so he has that going for him. It was nothing that he did as far as I know for her to up and leave. He is financially responsible, mentally there and available and loved her very much. She just went weird left with everything, including the toilet paper and holder (Seriously who does that??), went back to their home state. Never giving him a straight answer to why. I am wondering if he could get her for desertion or something of the sort?
  4. Senior Member
    I would imagine if he is able to go out in town he would be still getting BAH just w/out dependents. If he is in barracks no BAH it goes away in the end.
  5. Senior Member
    I dont understand why they were take away his BAH...he's he service member, not her. Im new to military things so I could be wrong, but I would think he would still get BAH just with no dependents. Im sure there is someone on his base that he can contact regarding this... maybe the JAG?
  6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    it depends... an E4 doesn't guarantee is he is authorized to live off base as single.
    he needs to talk to his command, housing, and/or finance to find out for sure. He may be required to move back into the barracks, which will cause him to lose BAH.
    Only he can find the answer to that.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Margot31 View Post
    I would imagine if he is able to go out in town he would be still getting BAH just w/out dependents. If he is in barracks no BAH it goes away in the end.
    He is currently living off base in a non-military residence. What is BAH without dependence? I have only heard of BAH given to someone only if they were married and/or had children.
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    [QUOTE=TrishAFSpouse;10056695]it depends... an E4 doesn't guarantee is he is authorized to live off base as single.
    he needs to talk to his command, housing, and/or finance to find out for sure. He may be required to move back into the barracks, which will cause him to lose BAH.
    Only he can find the answer to that.[/QUOTE

The only problem with him being told he has to live on base is that a new round of newbies have arrived 2 months ago and there is no space available. Would it be possible for them to transfer him to another base due to no available housing in the barracks?

Sorry for so many questions. I am just trying to get as much info as I can to help him. Poor thing is already tore-up about her leaving, the divorce, personal things and now this.
  9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    No, they won't send him to another base for barracks. If there truly is no space available then he would likely be authorized to remain off base, but it really does depend on what his commander says and wants.

To answer your earlier question, there is BAH and BAH w/dependents. The dollar amount difference is a few hundred dollars (without dependents is less).

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juiceyka84 View Post
    He is currently living off base in a non-military residence. What is BAH without dependence? I have only heard of BAH given to someone only if they were married and/or had children.
    BAH Calculator
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast