Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you approach this?

1. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

How would you approach this?

Advertisements
    Our neighbors got a new dog a few months ago. They leave it crated on the back patio and it barks ALL day. I think they are both at work. It's a little white fluff dog and has the annoying bark to go with it. I absolutely love dogs, and so the noise bothers me both because I hate noise, and also because I feel really sad for the dog's unhappiness. At first we really were hoping that they were just dog sitting because they already have two big dogs that they leave free to roam out in the yard. But I think they got it back in October, so it's looking like it's really here to stay.

I've literally never talked to these neighbors, and DH has only rarely in small talk. I don't know if I should leave them a note (they might not know, if they aren't home), or if I should go the route of a noise complaint with the police? Our bedroom is closest to their house, and so I mostly hear it if I am in there. It really becomes an issue and makes me feel anxious and stressed when I'm sick and need to nap or rest in bed.

I don't want to make them dislike us, but I'm also super non-confrontational and doubt if I'd be able to talk to them about it in an effective way.
  2. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

You could contact animal control and ask them to stop by and speak to the owners about the situation.

3. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    I had an issue with my neighbors dogs barking at night and it was so annoying! I never said anything though. =/ I did however go over and talk to them when their dogs dug under the fence and got into my yard. They have a medium sized and a large sized dog and I didn't want to worry about them getting into my yard when I have two little boys. I just went over and talk to them about it. They apologized and it hasn't happened in awhile. They usually fix up the holes the dogs make pretty quick but I felt I needed to let them know I was worried about my boys and they needed to do something a bit more permanent instead of just fixing it hole by hole. If you don't like confrontation then I suggest a nice note.
  4. Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!
    Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!

I would just call the human society or animal control or something like that. I've always been able to report stuff anonymously. They are generally trained in how to handle situations like this.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    I would call too...they will stop by your neighbors and tell them there's been a noise complaint and will check on the welfare of the dog. And your neighbors won't know it was you that called. Surely, other people hear the dog too.
  6. Pour a little salt, we were never here

I'll have to look into my options. We live in a very small neighborhood surrounded by farm fields, and we all have really large lots, so I'm not entirely sure anyone else can hear the dog. I know the humane society doesn't come out this far for strays, but I'll have to find out if we have animal control or not. Most people here (in this tiny neighborhood) keep all their dogs outside 100%, so I'm not sure there's really an issue of welfare (to me there is, but I'm more sensitive than most about outdoor pets). I'm going to try a note, and if that doesn't work look into a noise complaint and/or welfare check if that's available.
  7. Senior Member
    If they are going to know it was you, then I'd leave a nice note before escalating it to animal control.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    If they are going to know it was you, then I'd leave a nice note before escalating it to animal control.
    If they are going to know it's you, I would not call animal control. I would either leave a nice note or knock on their door and task them in a nice way if they are aware that their crated dog is barking all day long (they may not be home to know) and that it's really bothersome.
  9. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    There really isn't anything animal control can do if you report it to them, if the animal's health isn't in danger the only thing they can do is tell them they have a neighbor complaining about noise...which you could accomplish in a lot nicer way via a note or a quick stop in to just let them know that you're not trying offend and you're not even sure they know but that their dog is barking constantly during the day next to your bedroom and see if there is a solution they can come to where the dog isn't crated there anymore?

Talk to the people or leave a nice note OP, if they don't respond or have any sort of empathy then call animal control but that would be my last resort.

10. Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    There really isn't anything animal control can do if you report it to them, if the animal's health isn't in danger the only thing they can do is tell them they have a neighbor complaining about noise...which you could accomplish in a lot nicer way via a note or a quick stop in to just let them know that you're not trying offend and you're not even sure they know but that their dog is barking constantly during the day next to your bedroom and see if there is a solution they can come to where the dog isn't crated there anymore?

Talk to the people or leave a nice note OP, if they don't respond or have any sort of empathy then call animal control but that would be my last resort.
    Yea, I'm going with the note approach. I think they're nice people, and care for their animals (differently than I would, but doesn't mean they're bad). If they didn't respond, I'd go more the route of noise complaint because just having your dog outside (especially in AZ, where it's not super cold) isn't a problem in most people's view. I really don't want to start anything with the neighbors here though, we already have enough drama and so far we're not a part of it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast