Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Marriage counseling?

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Marriage counseling?

Advertisements
    I don't think my husband and I will ever sort out our issues by ourselves. I think it's time to get some help. He really likes his Battalion chaplain, but I just wonder if that's a good place to go together- will he be biased to my husband for being a soldier? If anyone has any advice on counseling, please tell me. We have four months until school gets out for my older girls and I can't even contemplate leaving before then. Thanks!
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    A chaplain is to remain unbiased and anything said is confidential. He is to be like any other religious counselor/priest/pastor, etc.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Senior Member
    Chaplains are very valuable, but if you want relationship counseling, I would recommend someone who has studied psychology and is a professional in that field. You can find someone through Military One Source.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by mom2girlsx3 View Post
    I don't think my husband and I will ever sort out our issues by ourselves. I think it's time to get some help. He really likes his Battalion chaplain, but I just wonder if that's a good place to go together- will he be biased to my husband for being a soldier? If anyone has any advice on counseling, please tell me. We have four months until school gets out for my older girls and I can't even contemplate leaving before then. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Chaplains are very valuable, but if you want relationship counseling, I would recommend someone who has studied psychology and is a professional in that field. You can find someone through Military One Source.
    with villanelle -- a possible way to leverage his liking of the chaplain may be to arrange for the two of you to speak with the chaplain first and that conversation may well lead the chaplain to suggest a further referral to a professional -- oftentimes if it is coming from someone else (ie the chaplain) an otherwise resistant spouse may be more open to the idea that a professional would be a good next step. A professional would be best, yes, but if your husband is not open to that just yet it may be a matter of some help is better than no help.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Personally, I prefer the chaplain, but only for reporting reasons. If someone is concerned about their meeting being confidential then the Chaplain is the best option. Like at Fort Benning chaplain office all records are destroyed x number of weeks after last visit. I believe other resource available from the military have a duty to report to the chain if needed.
  6. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    You can contact Military One source to set up 12 free sessions in your area. Also they often have counseling services through your Family Service centers. It all depends on what you feel most comfortable with.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Procella View Post
    Personally, I prefer the chaplain, but only for reporting reasons. If someone is concerned about their meeting being confidential then the Chaplain is the best option. Like at Fort Benning chaplain office all records are destroyed x number of weeks after last visit. I believe other resource available from the military have a duty to report to the chain if needed.
    The Military and Family Life Counseling Program is also confidential. The counselors rotate out every X number of weeks and they destroy their files. Look for the MFLC office on your post.
  8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    I had an unfortunate experience where I am with a MFLC. I made an appointment and she never showed up at our meeting place.
  9. Regular Member
    In counseling the best thing is for the person to be neutral, you seem to have concerns about the chaplain being neutral. I would recommend a clinical therapist. I have personally been in therapy for a while for health conditions. Research them before you go. Sometimes the first one you pick is not right, you have to find one who matches with you guys personalities. For example, sometimes i need a good push so having a therapist that coddles me does me no good. I prefer the no nonsense type and it helps significantly.