Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Army Special Forces SO's!! Need advice/info

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Army Special Forces SO's!! Need advice/info

Advertisements
    My boyfriend, who is currently in the Army Reserves, just got accepted to go active duty and go to SFAS and I'm so proud of him! He'll be leaving shortly for training and I already knew he'd be gone for six years and it'll more than tough. But he seemed kind of doubtful as to if we could even keep a relationship going. And he doesn't want to hold me back for six years. Of course this kind of broke my heart. I know what he'll be doing out there and how hard it'll be to always be in touch but I know we will be able to work through it. So what I want to know is, how often do you get to communicate or hear from your SO once they leave for training and through the whole process? How often do they get to come home on leave and such with him being in training? I've already talked to my SO about most of this, but I want to hear everyone else's experience with it!
    Last edited by MissMina; 01-27-2014 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Didn't specify some things like I should've... It's my first post so cut me some slack ;)
  2. Senior Member
    My advice would be that if a man doesn't love you enough to declare that he'll do whatever it takes, and if he's willing to just call it quits, you should find someone who can't live without you.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    My advice would be that if a man doesn't love you enough to declare that he'll do whatever it takes, and if he's willing to just call it quits, you should find someone who can't live without you.
    I wouldn't quite use this language, but yeah, basically.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMina View Post
    My boyfriend, who is currently in the Army Reserves, just got accepted to go active duty for special forces and I'm so proud of him! He'll be leaving shortly for training and I already knew he'd be gone for six years and it'll more than tough. But he seemed very doubtful as to if we could even keep a relationship going. And he doesn't want to hold me back for six years. Of course this kind of broke my heart. I know what he'll be doing out there and how hard it'll be to always be in touch but I know we will be able to work through it. So what I want to know is, how often do you get to communicate or hear from your SO once they leave for training and through the whole six years? How often do they get to come home on leave and such with him being in SF? I've already talked to my SO about most of this, but I want to hear everyone else's experience with it! Also, any advice or additional info I should know?
    where is he getting this six year thing from?
    Last edited by Tojai; 01-24-2014 at 08:50 PM. Reason: edited quote for OP PERSEC
  5. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    What would he be holding you back from. You'll still have your own life. That excuse always rings like a cop out to me.

But you should talk to him. Ask him what he wants and if he wants to make it work because you already have that decision down.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  6. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMina View Post
    My boyfriend, who is currently in the Army Reserves, just got accepted to go active duty for special forces and I'm so proud of him! He'll be leaving shortly for training and I already knew he'd be gone for six years and it'll more than tough. But he seemed very doubtful as to if we could even keep a relationship going. And he doesn't want to hold me back for six years. Of course this kind of broke my heart. I know what he'll be doing out there and how hard it'll be to always be in touch but I know we will be able to work through it. So what I want to know is, how often do you get to communicate or hear from your SO once they leave for training and through the whole six years? How often do they get to come home on leave and such with him being in SF? I've already talked to my SO about most of this, but I want to hear everyone else's experience with it! Also, any advice or additional info I should know?
    6 years? How does he know he's leaving for 6 years? In my experience, they don't even know where they're getting stationed until after training.

Anyway, if you have to convince him to stay in a relationship with you it's probably time you evaluate the relationship. It doesn't sound like he's very committed to me.
    Last edited by Tojai; 01-24-2014 at 08:51 PM. Reason: edited quote for OP PERSEC

Banned
    OP how long have you been dating? And the 6 years thing doesn't make sense. Things like communication, leave, deployments, training etc... vary far to much to ever predict 6 years out. Planning a month out doesn't even work sometimes.
  8. I like to think of jesus as a michevious badger
    I like to think of jesus as a michevious badger
    Blog Entries
    Yeah... 6 years is not right lol good luck OP
  9. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Does he mean his contract is 6 years? If so, he's not gonna be gone that whole time. He'll be stationed somewhere and go out for deployments and training but he will still have quite a bit of downtime and ability to communicate/take leave.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    What would he be holding you back from. You'll still have your own life. That excuse always rings like a cop out to me.

But you should talk to him. Ask him what he wants and if he wants to make it work because you already have that decision down.
    Yes exactly what I'm thinking! I'll still be living my life and doing the things I want, but it isn't like I need to go around dating all these other guys or anything.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast