Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Command Sponsorship

1. Regular Member

Command Sponsorship

Advertisements
    Hey guys,

I've recently married my Airman :3 He is based out in Turkey and all we're now really waiting for is Command Sponsorship to go through.
    (Being from the UK I had to go through a few more steps, like Marriage approval, clearance check, visa for residency in Turkey etc).

Now what I really would like to know... what exactly is actually involved in Command Sponsorship? Who does it? What do they check for? What do they arrange? Also, could anyone tell me how long it took for them? We have no kids so all I will really need access to is Tri-care, classes through MyCAA, accommodation and general base facilities...

Thanks!
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

To get CS the servicemember needs to go to his command and apply for it, that's the first step. There is a packet to fill out at the very minimum and I know for most people there is a medical/dental screening as well (I skipped that part, so no idea on specifics).

They didn't really "arrange" anything to my knowledge. After CS is approved you can see about moving to his location, him getting permission to live off base, etc. which are all done separately (again in my experience) but also involves the command and some paperwork. For example when DH applied to move off post I remember he had to go talk to the finance people and make a budget and stuff.

For us I think it took about 5-6 weeks but my case is probably the exception since I didn't have to do any screening at all.
  3. Senior Member
    For CS, they will look at your medical and dental records, your vaccination records, and any other health related issues. If you have any ongoing medical problems, are currently or have recently been treated for any mental health conditions (even simple things like anxiety or depression), or have any special needs, all those things will be considered. It doesn't mean they will deny you if you have those, but they could create problems. If you have any dental problems, they may need to require you to get those fixed before you go. You will have to pay for that but if your DH signs you up for the military dental insurance (it is option and you pay a monthly fee), then you could use that to help with some costs. Generally, you have to have a current pap smear as well, so if you haven't done that, make an appointment now. Also, you need to be current on vaccinations, so if you aren't get those done. Additionally, there may be specific vaxs required for Turkey, beyond what you would normally get, or other tests. For Japan, I needed HIV and TB tests, and for Germany I needed TB.

Basically, at the screen appointment, a doctor looked at the form my dentist filled out, my vax record, and a super long form I had filled out with a millions "have you ever had" type medical questions. For any "yes" answers, he asked me about them. At the end, he said there were no issues and signed off, and then the paperwork went to the receivign command. I can't recall exactly, but I think it too a few weeks from that point to get the official approval.

You will also be issued a no-fee passport. That is free and you can use it to get between Turkey and the States. But if you want to go anywhere else (and of course you will, as it's the best part of living in Europe!), you will need a regular tourist passport, just like any other American wanting to travel around Europe. You will have to pay for that out of pocket.

MyCAA doesn't offer classes. It is a program that is basically like a scholarship. You'll have to find your own program and check to make sure it, and you, qualify for MyCAA. For Tricare, your DH can enroll you now. You don't need to be in Turkey for that. When you arrive in Turkey, they will then switch you to the Tricare that covers Europe.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

OP I just saw you bumped your other thread, there was a TON of great advice in that thread about command sponsorship that still applies to your situation ...
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Wait, I thought you're in the "process" of getting married? Not recently married. Anyway your DF (DH?) should know exactly what to do. maybe you can find out the process of medical/dental clearing so you can get a jump start on it.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Also, I believe OP is a citizen of the UK. Not sure if extra paperwork is involved with that.
  7. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Also as mentioned in your other thread, probably the first thing they're going to look at is how much time he has left in Turkey and if he'd even be eligible to have CS for his dependents ... I know you said he was looking into possibly getting an extension but he needs to get serious about that if it hasn't been sorted yet.

So yeah, your DH needs to go to his command and get the process started.
  8. Senior Member
    Oh, yes, if he hasn't even determined for sure that he'll be eligible, and then he'll have to extend if he is, then that is definitely going to extend the process. Still, you can get the pap smear and the dental stuff sorted out, the vaccinations, and gather your medical records back 5-7 years, if at all possible. That way, you'll be ready.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Senior Member

Coming here and not being an American citizen is a huge process, even just visiting is more difficult.

How long has he been here? I am assuming he already has a follow on?
  10. Senior Member
    Sushi....there is like a 4 page thread in this forum. I think he has been there since Nov of 2013.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast