Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BF wanting to go back to full time question

1. Senior Member

BF wanting to go back to full time question

Advertisements
    My boyfriend went from the full time army to the reserves about 2 years ago, in order to save a marriage that turned out not to be savable. After his divorce at the start of 2013, his father suggested that the divorce would be a good opportunity for him to go back in. He had talked to someone about it, and about getting his reserve unit to let him go back, I think? Anyway, we started dating in May of this year, and he stopped talking about wanting to go back, but his father kept asking him about it, including around Christmas. My boyfriend likes the idea, compared to the reserves and his civilian job, but he liked it a lot better before we started dating. Is such a thing even possible? Would the army actually even take back a guy in his thirties after being out 2 years? He did have an excellent record. Even if they did, I hear on the news that the US will be out of Afganistan by the end of the year, so what would they even want him back for anyway?
  2. Senior Member
    My BF is waiting on a waiver to go back in. He's been out almost 3 years. His friend just got his waiver in December. He leaves for Army SF training in April. He turned in the last of his requirements last Tues so I will let you know what I hear.
  3. Regular Member
    People that went from active duty to reserves can usually have a good chance to go back to active duty. it doesn't always matter how long they have been away from active duty and being in his thirties is still young. I knew someone that was in their late 30s and still got in. So I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to get back on active
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    He may be able to get back in. The possibility of losing rank is there, but not a definite. Good luck
  5. Senior Member
    Thanks for the information. I guess I've got some decisions to make.
  6. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

As far as the Afghanistan part... don't listen to the news. There is a LOT of misinformation, there will be troops deploying for MANY years to come

7. Banned
    Banned
    right now the ARMY is only taking reserves to AD for Special Forces. a close family member just did this, he did not qualify for Special forces and the ARMY would not let him back in.

your DB can talk to a recruiter for the most current info as things can change pretty fast ( my cousin just did this three months ago)
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    right now the ARMY is only taking reserves to AD for Special Forces. a close family member just did this, he did not qualify for Special forces and the ARMY would not let him back in.

your DB can talk to a recruiter for the most current info as things can change pretty fast ( my cousin just did this three months ago)
    Thanks for that info, that makes me feel a little better. He's not special forces. He talked to a recruiter last spring, before we started dating, but hasn't since that I know of. I know it's something he wants to do, but he wants me onboard with it. I'd probably be more onboard with it if I knew it wasn't going to happen.
  9. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Its extremely difficult to go back to AD from reserves but it is possible. My husband is AF and went through this process a few years ago. I'd have him talk to a recruiter for up to date information.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    Its extremely difficult to go back to AD from reserves but it is possible. My husband is AF and went through this process a few years ago. I'd have him talk to a recruiter for up to date information.
    If he does this on his own I'm not going to try to stop him, but I don't know if I want to encourage him on this either. With my luck, his recruiter might tell him he could go back in. I know his brigade commander wanted him back in, but I don't don't know how much pull he has, if any. I feel like if I hadn't come into the picture he'd have already been back in. I mean, I understand how his Mom feels, I feel the same way, but I just don't feel it's my place to try to talk him out of it. If if did happen, I don't know what it would mean for our relationship. I have a good job here, and not crazy about starting over. Plus, I did the whole waiting for my partner to come back from overseas in 07-08, and it was hell emotionally. Not just the separation, but every day not knowing if my partner would come home injured, or not at all. If I knew he wasn't going to be deployed to someplace dangerous, it might be better, but still, more flight time means more chances for a crash. Before we started dating, I never paid that much attention on the news if a helicopter crashed somewhere, but now it's personal I guess. I know that could happen in his civilan job too, but civilian flying's not the same as flying low on purpose, and people are shooting at you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast