Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I feel like a serious failure.

1. Banned
    Banned

I feel like a serious failure.

Advertisements
    Okay, I have read a few threads people have posted that some people thought they were trying to get attention.
    I swear that isn't the case. I won't mention what degree I am trying to obtain in college. Or any of that.
    But here is where I feel like a failure. I am 2 classes behind in college.
    I have had 3 friends fail whole semesters from partying and such. I have a good gpa I am VERY cautious about keeping it that way.
    That being said, I had to withdraw once from a class because the professor was pretty hardcore crazy. Lol I knew with my learning style and their teaching style just wasn't going to mesh so I withdrew rather then flunking it all together. I retook the class and got a B.
    Well, another semester went by and I was in this really intense class, and my DF just got deployed. So I had the hardest time focusing and studying in this class. I know it's not an "excuse". But it was the first deployed I have ever been through with trying how to figure out how to support him, how to cope with worrying about him, etc.
    Well, I just saw a post on Facebook with a girl who is a year younger than me that is already in my specific program that I have been working to get in..
    So it was kinda like awesome... I'm just working a part time job trying to get through college and stuff.
    It sucked seeing someone younger then me I think. Haha Idk. Maybe it's just an ego blow and I need to get off my high horse. lol it just hurt.
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Are you saying you withdrew from 2 classes then? I don't necessarily think having two W's on your transcript is that bad. I had 2 and I got into grad school just fine ... I can't even remember if they asked me about it or not.

At the same time I can see how that would be frustrating. Are you doing any kind of extracurriculars in college at all? Maybe trying to get something going in your field will help, even if you don't get into that program right away. Internships, related student groups, assisting a professor with related research, etc.

You could also consider taking courses in the summer to try and "catch up" if these 2 withdrawals are really eating at you?
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Yeah <3 I have looked into internships. But those 2 classes I have a W in, I have already completed one. I have one more to go. But I can't intern until I have it done because those are the pre requisites. So I am literally at a stand still until I finish those up.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathansGirl View Post
    Okay, I have read a few threads people have posted that some people thought they were trying to get attention.
    I swear that isn't the case. I won't mention what degree I am trying to obtain in college. Or any of that.
    But here is where I feel like a failure. I am 2 classes behind in college.
    I have had 3 friends fail whole semesters from partying and such. I have a good gpa I am VERY cautious about keeping it that way.
    That being said, I had to withdraw once from a class because the professor was pretty hardcore crazy. Lol I knew with my learning style and their teaching style just wasn't going to mesh so I withdrew rather then flunking it all together. I retook the class and got a B.
    Well, another semester went by and I was in this really intense class, and my DF just got deployed. So I had the hardest time focusing and studying in this class. I know it's not an "excuse". But it was the first deployed I have ever been through with trying how to figure out how to support him, how to cope with worrying about him, etc.
    Well, I just saw a post on Facebook with a girl who is a year younger than me that is already in my specific program that I have been working to get in..
    So it was kinda like awesome... I'm just working a part time job trying to get through college and stuff.
    It sucked seeing someone younger then me I think. Haha Idk. Maybe it's just an ego blow and I need to get off my high horse. lol it just hurt.
    As this is in the "seeking advice" forum, I am not really understanding what it is you are asking or looking for - and I'm sure people will be more than willing to help/offer advice once we know what it is you are asking.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    I mean.. I don't really know what my question is. I guess it's more on the lines of, has this happened to anyone else before or?
  6. Senior Member
    I mean.. I don't really know what my question is. I guess it's more on the lines of, has this happened to anyone else before or?
    That it takes a little longer to finish university?
  7. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Yeah <3 I have looked into internships. But those 2 classes I have a W in, I have already completed one. I have one more to go. But I can't intern until I have it done because those are the pre requisites. So I am literally at a stand still until I finish those up.
    Internships are great and depending on the field maybe be almost mandatory, but while that's on hold have you looked at other ways to get involved with your field?

Like I mentioned, building relationships with professors, volunteering with related organizations, joining relevant student groups etc. ... all of those things show your commitment to your field and your motivation.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your actual question, but like I said I have dealt with Ws before and it didn't hold me back from anything. Looking back at undergrad though, I do wish I had made better use of my summers (either taking classes or seeking internships, etc) and joined more relevant student orgs rather than just the "fun" ones.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Has what happened - the feeling of envy/jealousy/? that someone else is moving along faster than you, that someone has had to withdraw from classes and had that impact their completion of school or?
  9. Regular Member
    I could type for days on this matter…..YOU, are not THEM! THEY are not YOU! In short, who cares that someone younger is in the program? In 5 yrs., will it matter? Don't compare yourself to others, there's only one you. No one walks in your shoes, your patterns, experiences your life, your brain waves, your emotions. It's likely that you might have missed out on an important aspect of your life-your journey had you not taken the "W's." I cut myself some slack several years ago after feeling as though I wasn't "on time" with my life. The irony is, "IT'S MY LIFE" so I began to view life from this standpoint. Good, bad, indifferent, I am where I am supposed to be. So, whatever I am doing at this moment and time is where I, me, no one else is supposed to be. My mentor gave me that phrase; "good, bad, indifferent..I am where I'm supposed to be" and it changed my life. Since then, I've been far more productive, and when I felt "stuck" or "frozen" I would recall the true meaning of that phrase. And, when I was stuck, I was growing and didn't know it at the time.
    So, maybe you're too hard on yourself, just an idea….but, it could be you should just cut yourself some slack .
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Mymightyman, thank you. That was possibly the kick in the butt I needed. I really appreciate it <3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast