Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Going to a military wedding

1. Regular Member

Going to a military wedding

Advertisements
    Hello everyone! My boyfriend and I recently got invited to go to his friend's (formal military) wedding. My boyfriend's friend (the groom) told my DB that he preferred all service members to be wearing their dress blues, but he himself (the groom) wasn't going to because he could no longer fit in it. I haven't been to a wedding where the groom wants people in their blues, so I'm excited for that! anyways, I was wondering if the dress I wanted to wear would match his blues (he's in the marine corps), and if it would be appropriate for the formal dress code wedding... All opinions are welcomed!!!!

btw, since I usually don't wear makeup, I'm only applying eyeliner and lip gross. also, I can't wear contacts because my eyes get really irritated and gets super red and itchy.
    my hair is also going to be super simple, I'm just going to make it a little wavy~

The dress and me: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By3...it?usp=sharing

The bag: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By3...it?usp=sharing

My shoes: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By3...it?usp=sharing

so hopefully you can image it... would my dress be appropriate for the formal wedding, yet matching my DB dress blues?...
  2. Senior Member
    I think it is definitely appropriate. The only thing is the black might clash with the blue. I cant make a good judgement on that without seeing it, though.
  3. Senior Member
    It's a wedding and you are adults, so there's no need to do high school dance outfit matching! Where whatever works best for you.

Technically a dress that is short is not formal. However, most people misuse the term "formal", so it's unlikely the wedding is a true formal event, in which case I think you'd be just fine.

Also, just so you know, there is no such thing as a military wedding. It's just a regular wedding, at which some people are in uniforms, and there may be a few military traditions (like a sword arch).

It's pretty tacky of someone to dictate to guests what they wear. As long as it's appropriate attire, someone should be allowed to wear whatever they want to an event. I think it's extremely odd and not a little rude of your friend to request specific attire from a guest, but if your DB is comfortable going in uniform, then that's cool.

Have a great time!
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Regular Member

Smile

The dress is lovely, you will look great. The only suggestion I will make is if you have a smaller bag (evening style, like a clutch) I would recommend it. If not, don't worry and have a wonderful time.
  5. Senior Member
    I'm only applying eyeliner and lip gross.
    I know you meant lip gloss, but you gave me a good chuckle!
  6. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarina View Post
    I think it is definitely appropriate. The only thing is the black might clash with the blue. I cant make a good judgement on that without seeing it, though.
    you're right.. I compared it a the clashes a little bit... so I got this instead: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By3...it?usp=sharing
    it's like a dark navy blue instead... I'm hoping this matches better!
  7. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine View Post
    The dress is lovely, you will look great. The only suggestion I will make is if you have a smaller bag (evening style, like a clutch) I would recommend it. If not, don't worry and have a wonderful time.
    I also got another bag... I'm hoping it matches my shoes and clothes a little better... here is it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By3...it?usp=sharing
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    The other factor is what time of the day is the wedding? Just because someone is in a "dress" uniform does not mean its fully formal. To me fully formal is mess dress (navy here). For me I would go with the time of the day the wedding is being held.