Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Physical and Dental

1. Senior Member

Physical and Dental

Advertisements
    So DH went and took care of paperwork for my ID and stuff the other day and was told that I need to get a physical and go see my dentist. Is this a routine thing that happens after marriage? I thought that this was only the case if they were stationed overseas? He doesn't have his orders yet, so I don't know if that's the case. Don't know if this makes any difference, but DH also said the physical is to prove I have asthma, and the doctors can be my current ones and don't have to be Tricare providers.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light." -John Milton
  2. Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!
    Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!

I've never heard of that...I didn't have to do any of that after married.

He might be starting the process early if he thinks he'll orders, but I really don't know. Hopefully someone else has more information.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooUnicorn! View Post
    I've never heard of that...I didn't have to do any of that after married.

He might be starting the process early if he thinks he'll orders, but I really don't know. Hopefully someone else has more information.
    I'd never heard of it either. That's why I'm so confused. I have to be medically cleared to be married? What?

4. Banned
    Banned
    no, you don't. I wonder where someone got that idea from ?
  5. Senior Member
    First, as for keeping your doctors, you can IF they are covered by tri-care. If they aren't you'd have to pay out of pocket to keep them. If you were switching doctors, I could understand going in and letting them know about your asthma and such. But you dont need a physical or dental clearance just because you got married. Like you said, when we came overseas to Germany, I had to get medically cleared (including dental). But that was just to make sure I dont have any issues they cant take care of over here (which is what they ALWAYS do). I've never heard of it to be stationed CONAS. Plus, when going OCONAS, there are specific forms the doctors have to fill out. If they dont fill them out, the physical and dental check would be pointless, other than telling you that you need to have some work done. (I had to get some cavities fixed to get cleared.) Maybe hes just trying to get all the possibilities covered? Idk, but good luck!
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarina View Post
    First, as for keeping your doctors, you can IF they are covered by tri-care. If they aren't you'd have to pay out of pocket to keep them. If you were switching doctors, I could understand going in and letting them know about your asthma and such. But you dont need a physical or dental clearance just because you got married. Like you said, when we came overseas to Germany, I had to get medically cleared (including dental). But that was just to make sure I dont have any issues they cant take care of over here (which is what they ALWAYS do). I've never heard of it to be stationed CONAS. Plus, when going OCONAS, there are specific forms the doctors have to fill out. If they dont fill them out, the physical and dental check would be pointless, other than telling you that you need to have some work done. (I had to get some cavities fixed to get cleared.) Maybe hes just trying to get all the possibilities covered? Idk, but good luck!
    I know about the doctors and Tricare will be acting as a secondary insurance until I can get moved to DH's location. In this specific instance though he says the military doesn't need them to be Tricare providers for them to fill out the stuff that needs filled out. I found that kind of strange. See, he just got to his second half of tech school and graduates in late March, and don't know if his next orders are CONUS or OCONUS and I know it's higher-ups telling him to have me do that, so could it be a sign that they're planning on stationing him OCONUS?

7. Senior Member
    Funny...dH thought I needed to get a physical when I went and enrolled in Tricare Prime, but I didn't have to. Maybe it is something they tell the Service Members to do but tricare doesn't care?
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beth2527 View Post
    I know about the doctors and Tricare will be acting as a secondary insurance until I can get moved to DH's location. In this specific instance though he says the military doesn't need them to be Tricare providers for them to fill out the stuff that needs filled out. I found that kind of strange. See, he just got to his second half of tech school and graduates in late March, and don't know if his next orders are CONUS or OCONUS and I know it's higher-ups telling him to have me do that, so could it be a sign that they're planning on stationing him OCONUS?
    I dont think it would be a plan of stationing him OCONAS. From what I understand (I could be TOTALLY wrong), the higher ups he has in tech dont have too much to do with where he goes after. But even if that were the case, it wouldn't do you much good to get the physical without the correct forms, unless it was to tell you to have something fixed. Otherwise, you will just have to do the physical again to get cleared with the correct paperwork. I'm not sure how it would work with Tricare being secondary insurance, though. It was my primary and to get my clearance I just went to the base closest to me.
  9. Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!
    Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!

Quote Originally Posted by Amanduh View Post
    Funny...dH thought I needed to get a physical when I went and enrolled in Tricare Prime, but I didn't have to. Maybe it is something they tell the Service Members to do but tricare doesn't care?

My DH wasn't told that at all.

Did you guys go through the marriage workshop or whatever the Air Force has where you take classes about combining two households, he has to get signatures from people in his unit to let them know he's getting married and stuff like that? DH and I didn't, but I don't know if information could be mentioned in those classes/sessions
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooUnicorn! View Post
    My DH wasn't told that at all.

Did you guys go through the marriage workshop or whatever the Air Force has where you take classes about combining two households, he has to get signatures from people in his unit to let them know he's getting married and stuff like that? DH and I didn't, but I don't know if information could be mentioned in those classes/sessions
    No, we didn't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast