Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about dogs....

1. Junior Member

Question about dogs....

Advertisements
    This morning when I went to feed my dogs I noticed the one is chewing on the wood? Is this because he's lacking something? They are about 9 months old so could they be losing teeth?

I'm not sure what is going on...
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveMySeabee View Post
    This morning when I went to feed my dogs I noticed the one is chewing on the wood? Is this because he's lacking something? They are about 9 months old so could they be losing teeth?

I'm not sure what is going on...
    What wood is it the dog is chewing? It could be any number of things - the first that comes to mind, though, is boredom. It could also be an attempt at escaping (if it's wood that is part of an enclosure they are kept in) or a matter of something that the dog is attracted to (ie food) has gotten on the wood and left a scent/flavor that is attracting the dog to chew.
    You mention "they" are 9 months old - how many dogs are in the enclosure and what breed are they?
  3. Senior Member
    At that age I would *THINK* it would be teething possibly. Or just being a puppy. They do LOVE to get into trouble
  4. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    My dog loves to just chew on wood. He has a million and 1 toys, but will still choose to steal a log from the burn pile or pull bark off of the old trees. Sometimes they just do silly things!
  5. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Grey Mare View Post
    What wood is it the dog is chewing? It could be any number of things - the first that comes to mind, though, is boredom. It could also be an attempt at escaping (if it's wood that is part of an enclosure they are kept in) or a matter of something that the dog is attracted to (ie food) has gotten on the wood and left a scent/flavor that is attracting the dog to chew.
    You mention "they" are 9 months old - how many dogs are in the enclosure and what breed are they?
    By our side door. The one we let them out. I have 2 Maltese/Shih Tzu. It's more like a room than an enclosure. They are only in there when we aren't home. When someone is home or my Grandma goes to let them out they run all over the house. Their food is a bit away from there but my DH could've accidentally spilled some.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    How are the dogs fed - is it communal bowl or separate dishes with assurance that each dog is staying at their own bowl and eating only their food? Have you noticed any change in the condition of the chewer? The reason I ask is that IF it's group feeding and this dog is a low dog on the totem pole he/she may not be getting all the food they need and *may* be seeking to consume anything else (ie the wood) out of hunger. Not saying this is anything other than a dog that, as mentioned above, just likes to chew on wood - but offering up all the other possibilities as well so that you can consider them all, evaluate your situation and dog and figure out from there what is going on.
    Since you mentioned concern about possible lacking diet - what are the dogs being fed?
  7. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    We went from a house to an apartment here in FL and when I take my doggies out to the dog park area they love to find sticks and peel the bark off and chew on the fresh wood. They did it occasionally at the house and they do it all the time now. I think they just miss it . They like to toss the up in the air and play fetch with the sticks also!
  8. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Grey Mare View Post
    How are the dogs fed - is it communal bowl or separate dishes with assurance that each dog is staying at their own bowl and eating only their food? Have you noticed any change in the condition of the chewer? The reason I ask is that IF it's group feeding and this dog is a low dog on the totem pole he/she may not be getting all the food they need and *may* be seeking to consume anything else (ie the wood) out of hunger. Not saying this is anything other than a dog that, as mentioned above, just likes to chew on wood - but offering up all the other possibilities as well so that you can consider them all, evaluate your situation and dog and figure out from there what is going on.
    Since you mentioned concern about possible lacking diet - what are the dogs being fed?
    Common feeding area. Each have their own bowl. They were fixed about 3 weeks ago. The dog that chews is the one who was more of the alpha male. We feed them puppy chow and then some soft gravy train food from the can.
  9. Senior Member
    That food is not very good so it could be a nutrition thing. They could just be bored or like to chew too though.
  10. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Meg* View Post
    That food is not very good so it could be a nutrition thing. They could just be bored or like to chew too though.
    It's Purina Puppy Chow... Or are you talking about the gravy train?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast