Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drinking Problem

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Drinking Problem

Advertisements
    Help, my fiancé is 21 and I'm 18 he's in NC for the Marines and I'm in Arizona for Navy ROTC. I don't know if its actually a problem because he's so far away right now and he only started drinking when he got shipped out there. I don't know how to find out and I wouldn't know how to go about it if it is a problem. Please I need help
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by ashhar26 View Post
    Help, my fiancé is 21 and I'm 18 he's in NC for the Marines and I'm in Arizona for Navy ROTC. I don't know if its actually a problem because he's so far away right now and he only started drinking when he got shipped out there. I don't know how to find out and I wouldn't know how to go about it if it is a problem. Please I need help
    What about his situation makes you think he has a problem?
  3. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

What makes you think he could have a problem? 21 year olds drink a lot when it's new
  4. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Drinking is not a problem in and of itself. Is there a reason you think he has a problem?
  5. Uh-Lawn-Uh
    Uh-Lawn-Uh
    Is there anything particular signaling a problem? When I turned 21, I'm pretty sure I was drunk for a month straight. It's what 21 yr olds do. ESPECIALLY marines. It's their thing.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AlannaCodi View Post
    Is there anything particular signaling a problem? When I turned 21, I'm pretty sure I was drunk for a month straight. It's what 21 yr olds do.ESPECIALLY marines. It's their thing.
    Not necessarily. this really struck a nerve with me.
    My ex DF Was a marine and had a drinking problem. It was way beyond "something they just do" so without more more clarification from OP, we can't say that. My ex would get drunk nearly daily, call me wasted at 2am, calling me every name you could imagine. His best friend kicked him out of his wedding and never spoke to him again because 2 days before the wedding he punched him in the face while drunk and broke his nose, for no reason other than being wasted. He drove drunk, knowing my brother almost got killed by a drunk driver, he called his mother and called her names, 2 days before he was to be pinned for sgt he got arrested for pissing in a parking lot and was made unpromotable. And trust me, these are just some examples. His drinking ruined our relationship.

I'm sorry, I guess this is a touchy subject for me, but this isn't something Marines just do
  7. Uh-Lawn-Uh
    Uh-Lawn-Uh
    Quote Originally Posted by Reagan View Post
    Not necessarily. this really struck a nerve with me.
    My ex DF Was a marine and had a drinking problem. It was way beyond "something they just do" so without more more clarification from OP, we can't say that. My ex would get drunk nearly daily, call me wasted at 2am, calling me every name you could imagine. His best friend kicked him out of his wedding and never spoke to him again because 2 days before the wedding he punched him in the face while drunk and broke his nose, for no reason other than being wasted. He drove drunk, knowing my brother almost got killed by a drunk driver, he called his mother and called her names, 2 days before he was to be pinned for sgt he got arrested for pissing in a parking lot and was made unpromotable. And trust me, these are just some examples. His drinking ruined our relationship.

I'm sorry, I guess this is a touchy subject for me, but this isn't something Marines just do
    I didn't say it's a marine thing to just get totally housed and be a horrible person. What I meant by that statement is that a lot of these guys who are young and single, like to drink and have a good time with their friends, which doesn't mean they have a drinking "problem". It's a normal thing around here. You see guys walking from the px back to the barracks with both hands carrying 36 racks. Any bar around us is filled to the max with marines. So my post wasn't insinuating this SO of hers is an alcoholic. I simply said marines like to drink. I'm sorry you experienced that, but most of these guys are just innocently enjoying their youth. And that's all I was referencing to
  8. Lex Justo BAMF Patriot Guard Rider!
    Lex Justo BAMF Patriot Guard Rider!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlannaCodi View Post
    Is there anything particular signaling a problem? When I turned 21, I'm pretty sure I was drunk for a month straight. It's what 21 yr olds do. ESPECIALLY marines. It's their thing.
    I didn't say it's a marine thing to just get totally housed and be a horrible person. What I meant by that statement is that a lot of these guys who are young and single, like to drink and have a good time with their friends, which doesn't mean they have a drinking "problem". It's a normal thing around here. You see guys walking from the px back to the barracks with both hands carrying 36 racks. Any bar around us is filled to the max with marines. So my post wasn't insinuating this SO of hers is an alcoholic. I simply said marines like to drink. I'm sorry you experienced that, but most of these guys are just innocently enjoying their youth. And that's all I was referencing to
    I'm gonna have to agree with Reagan on this one, your comment is really super stereotypical. Both the 21 years olds and the marines thing. Its not typical to groups, there are some who do, some who don't, and everything in between. Its a little rediculous to imply that just because someone is a marine that they all carry back 36 packs in each hand.
    I've been known as
    "The Enforcer" and NavyHeart

Once more into the fray...
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live or die on this day...
    Live and die on this day.

9. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Why do you think he has a drinking problem? What does he do to make you think he has a problem? He's 21 so drinking is new and somewhat exciting to him right now.

As for Alanna's comment, I kind of agree The marines have a reputation for drinking heavily. There's a tradition in DC that revolves around drinking. All the new officers have to bar hop after the parades with the senior officers. When DF was first in the marines he was told to drink by his superiors until he was wasted. That's not to say all marines are alcoholoics and not all marines are heavy drinkers, but it's part of their culture. Just like a frat.

10. By the power of Greyskull...
    By the power of Greyskull...
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lepus View Post
    Why do you think he has a drinking problem? What does he do to make you think he has a problem? He's 21 so drinking is new and somewhat exciting to him right now.

As for Alanna's comment, I kind of agree The marines have a reputation for drinking heavily. There's a tradition in DC that revolves around drinking. All the new officers have to bar hop after the parades with the senior officers. When DF was first in the marines he was told to drink by his superiors until he was wasted. That's not to say all marines are alcoholoics and not all marines are heavy drinkers, but it's part of their culture. Just like a frat.
    I agree. I met more Marine's in the bar than I did college boys (and that's being an hour away from base in a college town) and saw more Marine's with drinking related injuries (usually bar fights or car accidents) than I did college kids (except Halloween, the college kids OWNED Halloween).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast