Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Looking for friends in all the wrong places!

1. Senior Member

Looking for friends in all the wrong places!

Advertisements
    Hey everybody,
    I could use some advice as to what I can do to find some good friends. Here's the backstory. I have never really been the type to make friends easily, I get shy in social situations however a glass of wine usually does the trick to make me open up a little more. I have had a few friends that I have loved since we were kids however most of them have turned to drugs and I choose not to be around that. The other friends I had we have seemed to grow apart since we've all been in different stages of our lives. I'm 23 and most of my previous friends are 26-28, now married with kids on the way and they never have time to do anything, even grab lunch. My DB is in basic and he always pushed me to open up and I made friends with his friends, however I really need good friends of my own. I'm active at the gym and spend most of my time between work and the gym. (Although I'll admit that work takes up a lot of time especially since I work weekends)

Any advice as to what I can do and where I can go to meet new people and make new friends?
  2. Senior Member
    Honestly, I have little advice in the way of this topic. I'm bad at making friends too. But I really hope you can find some new friends soon! I know how much of a difference even one or two can make in brightening your day
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemissred View Post
    Hey everybody,
    I could use some advice as to what I can do to find some good friends. Here's the backstory. I have never really been the type to make friends easily, I get shy in social situations however a glass of wine usually does the trick to make me open up a little more. I have had a few friends that I have loved since we were kids however most of them have turned to drugs and I choose not to be around that. The other friends I had we have seemed to grow apart since we've all been in different stages of our lives. I'm 23 and most of my previous friends are 26-28, now married with kids on the way and they never have time to do anything, even grab lunch. My DB is in basic and he always pushed me to open up and I made friends with his friends, however I really need good friends of my own. I'm active at the gym and spend most of my time between work and the gym. (Although I'll admit that work takes up a lot of time especially since I work weekends)

Any advice as to what I can do and where I can go to meet new people and make new friends?
    What do you enjoy? What are you passionate about? Are you a person of faith? Finding people that you have something(s) in common with is a great step towards finding people to build a deeper relationship/friendship with - so if you think about your hobbies, passions, etc you can start to find situations that will put those in play - ie taking a crafting class, joining a group that quilts/knits for a cause, volunteering for a particular cause, etc. Having something in common with the other people there will be a natural "in" to open up conversations which can be a big help with social awkwardness.
  4. Senior Member
    Thank you The one problem is that my biggest passion is also my job which can be very emotionally draining, I spend most of my spare time trying to de-compress from the day. I really need to find some other passions that I have and look into groups that I can join. I really love your idea of quilts/knits for a cause, I'll have to look into that! The whole thought of putting myself out there is rather scary to me but I really need to push myself.