Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introvert Volunteering Ideas Help!

1. Senior Member

Introvert Volunteering Ideas Help!

Advertisements
    DW is an introvert and has extreme difficulty around others (socially awkward). She's the person who goes to work, does her job well, and wants to come home at the end of the day to relax away from people. She highly values her alone time because being around others is exhausting for her. Unfortunately it seems the Air Force wants more of that time in the form of volunteering for things to get good remarks on her EPR.

Coming from the Army I've never dealt with anything like this. Air Force culture is completely different. Does anyone have any ideas for ways to volunteer that are less "in your face"? Apparently things like donating money to a cause might work, but this is so new to me I don't want to give her bad info.
  2. Senior Member
    Volunteering at an animal shelter maybe? I mean, she'll have to talk to some people, but she won't be leading a crew or anything. Once they tell her all of what she'll be doing, she'll pretty much just be working on those things by herself.
  3. Senior Member
    Good idea! I'll shoot that one at her and see what she thinks!
  4. Mom to Rebekah
    Mom to Rebekah
    I am very introvert I used to volunteer at an grade school doing one on one with students helping them read, or do math.
    Mom to Rebekah
    Tree hugging, peace loving, hippie.
    I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church.
    For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit.
    Khalil Gibran
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Library? Maybe stocking books or sorting them? Would be nice and quiet!
  6. Senior Member
    Oooh those are also great ideas!
  7. Senior Member
    Here (army) we have the acs office that always has a list of volunteers needed on post. Maybe you guys have something like that there? When I went there were several administrative volunteers needed for like the red cross and other organizations. Pretty much solo office work a few times a week. I suggest you guys look into whether you have some sort of volunteer coordinator on base that can tell her what's needed.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Throughout college the volunteering things I liked best were things that were more one on one than group activities. So I enjoyed tutoring and I volunteered in an emergency department once where I would help People sign up for health insurance.
  9. Junior Member
    I'm pretty shy and I have done a lot of volunteering in the past. When I look for vol opportunities I look for office work. I held a volunteer position with the red cross for a number of years in the accounts department doing general office and data entry work. I could turn up and leave when I wanted which was great! I use this website to find opportunities near me and they also have virtual ones which are great since you can work from home etc - VolunteerMatch - Where Volunteering Begins

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maegan View Post
    Here (army) we have the acs office that always has a list of volunteers needed on post. Maybe you guys have something like that there? When I went there were several administrative volunteers needed for like the red cross and other organizations. Pretty much solo office work a few times a week. I suggest you guys look into whether you have some sort of volunteer coordinator on base that can tell her what's needed.
    Ha I forgot all about ACS. Our Red Cross volunteer used to sit in an office by herself. Might be the perfect opportunity. I was looking up Red Cross just now and noticed they're also looking for volunteers for their local Disaster Action Team. I would love to be a part of that!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast