Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hiring a nanny

1. Senior Member

Hiring a nanny

Advertisements
    I am going back to school in January to finish my LPN to BSN and due to clinical times (either 6-2 or 2-10 yuck) and DH's impending deployment neither the CDC nor any other daycare in town will work for Cole. . There are also no FCC providers with infant slots open.

Because of this we've decided to bite the financial bullet and hire a nanny from care.com. I know absolutely nothing about nannies and I have a last minute interview tomorrow so I have some questions!

1) What questions should I ask besides the typical referrals, educational background, is your CPR up to date, etc?

2) Weekly pay?? I have no idea and when I asked her what her salary requirement was for full time M-F care (6 hour days other than two 9 hour clinical day a week) she stated she does not have one. They are also military and she has a 14 month old she will be allowed to bring with her. Travel is minimal <1 mile from her house to mine.

3) What am I forgetting?! I'm really having a tiny breakdown over the thought of leaving him in general so please help me out here guys.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  2. Senior Member
    How old is your child? I have two toddlers so I'd have to ask about discipline styles and thinks of that nature, but make sure you ask age specific styles. Check on craigslist for an average for your area and honestly subtract some since her child is coming (will she be bringing food for them or will you be providing food since that can make a difference)?

It will be okay hon .
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Larissa View Post
    How old is your child? I have two toddlers so I'd have to ask about discipline styles and thinks of that nature, but make sure you ask age specific styles. Check on craigslist for an average for your area and honestly subtract some since her child is coming (will she be bringing food for them or will you be providing food since that can make a difference)?

It will be okay hon .
    Good ideas! Cole is 8 weeks now but will be 12 weeks when she would start. Her son is 14 months and I will make sure she knows to bring him food because Cole is fed breast milk only (obviously he's not eating Cheerios now ) so we have only 'adult' food in the house.
    Last edited by missinghim; 12-18-2013 at 03:06 AM.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  4. Senior Member
    One more thought, would you pay more, less or the same amount as what daycare was going to cost us?

I know typically a nanny would run more, but she will be bringing her child and while she has references and experience with sitting, she does not have previous nanny experience. By that I mean full-time care for only one family.

Thanks in advance again!

5. Senior Member

We have a full time nanny for Aria. Our situation is a little different because nannies are the thing to do here. She is paid $700 a month and we can call her 24/7. She also cleans our house and cooks for us.

Our nanny was also referred to us by someone we trusted so we felt very comfortable with hiring here and she has not disappointed us.

Daycare would have been cheaper but the hours would not have worked for us.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
    We have a full time nanny for Aria. Our situation is a little different because nannies are the thing to do here. She is paid $700 a month and we can call her 24/7. She also cleans our house and cooks for us.

Our nanny was also referred to us by someone we trusted so we felt very comfortable with hiring here and she has not disappointed us.

Daycare would have been cheaper but the hours would not have worked for us.
    I'm thinking of a similar amount, $150/week for regularly scheduled times and then a set hourly pay if I ever need her on the weekend. I was thinking about that, though and it is more than what I would have paid for daycare and I just wasn't sure if it was even remotely appropriate. I still don't know if it's appropriate.

Also, on her profile it states that she does light housework, grocery shopping, laundry etc. I know the answer is 'just ask', but how do I even go about bringing that up?

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

As you know, I have no idea about this stuff. I'm not sure how it works through Care.com, but please make sure you have a written contract.

As far as house work, I think the discussion should just take place during the interview, to include what your expectations are. Use the interview as a way to discuss all topics openly (from house work, to her child-care style, to what she thinks are age-appropriate games/activities, etc., to what she would do during an emergency). From what I understand, most live-out nannies will do light cleaning, dishes, etc., but definitely make sure that conversation happens initially. Remember, YOU are hiring HER, so you want to make sure that you're clear with what your expectations are and the interview is definitely the place to do it, so no one leaves feeling unsure (and avoiding that awkward too-late conversation).

Maybe sit down and write a list out of what you're looking for, to include the expectations of her child (ie. bringing their own food/toys/etc). I am sure as C gets older, things will adjust, but it wouldn't hurt to discuss some of the things now (like, can she take him in her vehicle, etc.). Also, discuss the routine and any house-rules you might have (ie. bringing over friends, smoking, etc.). Some things might seem kind of silly, but I think it is your home and your baby, so you should be clear about your expectations, regardless of how silly or minor they may seem.

I would also discuss what happens if you're running late (do you pay her overtime?), if she expects to take vacations, holidays, etc. What to do if she is sick, or if her child is sick? Will she still come alone if her child is sick?

As far as pay, I think you need to consider that she has no previous nanny-experience. Does she have any certifications? To be honest, for a little babe like yours, I think $150/week is reasonable. She is not cooking and he certainly doesn't make a huge mess of your house at this point and there is no real hair-pulling discipline required. But, I haven't a clue if any of that is even considered when paying a nanny. I think work=pay, but who knows! Plus, she is bringing her child, which at 14 months, I am sure requires a lot of her attention as well. So, that definitely is something to be factored in!

I am sure this has got to be SO hard for you!! But, you are bettering yourself, which is absolutely AWESOME! I am so proud of you for sticking with your original plan!
  8. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    From what you've posted, that would be 36 hours a week at $150. That would be a little more than $4/hour so not even minimum wage.

When I was a part time nanny in college, I was paid $15/hour. However, my employers were 2 pharmacists and thst was the rate they wanted to pay.

After college, I was a Nanny for DH's coworker and his wife about 10 years ago. The deal was $33/day but it was just supposed to be for up to 6 hours a day or something like that, which I felt like was ok pay. I started when the husband went on a det, so she needed me for 4 12 hour days. Since it was just supposed to be that week like that, I agreed. Then they started having me work those hours all the time even when her husband was off work, and per our original agreement, he was supposed to let me go home at that point. So I went from $15/hour to $3/hour for the same job. I became very resentful of my low, not even minimum wage pay and quit. She had been talking to coworkers and felt she was paying me too much because they were comparing it to the cost of daycare.

So that's just my story. If she's ok with that low amount of pay, I would make sure not to take advantage and stick to the hours originally agreed. Also, be prepared tha $4/hour might not be enough. Good Luck.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    I have no experience with this whatsoever, but $150 a week for a 8 hour day (I assume 5 days a week) seems low to me
  10. Senior Member
    Yeah, as a nanny, I got paid $15/hr. I also had three kids to watch, but I think about $4/hr honestly sounds kind of low. I would think about it in terms of what she would make if she went to work at a day care or got any other job. I think you can subtract a certain amount because she is bringing her child, but yeah, having a nanny is generally much more expensive.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast