Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made a really dumb mistake--advice please!

1. Regular Member

Made a really dumb mistake--advice please!

Advertisements
    So I was filling out an online change of address form through what I thought was the USPS website, and when I clicked "review and complete" it automatically completed it through a third party company that charged my account $30 instead of the $1 the USPS charges. I guess this is a common scam, because I looked into it after I made the mistake.

Now, I know it is my fault because I didn't ensure that I was on the correct website. The company I did this through claims to give refunds within 90 days. I'm calling in the morning during business hours to try to do so. I'm just worried that the phone number will not be legit, and that the company doesn't really exist. If I call my bank (I have USAA if that makes any difference), will they be able to cancel the charge for me? Again, I know that technically I am at fault here.

It's been a really terrible Friday the 13th I've honestly never experienced so much bad luck in one day in my life. (This accident is just the tip of the colossal iceberg that was today)
  2. Senior Member
    oh no! That sucks. I know that you say you already know that you should have double checked the website, but I'm just reiterating that i have like an obsession with checking that i am on the right site and always look at the web address and always enter in the site myself instead of clicking a hyperlink. What was the website that you did it through? Sometimes you can find other people's experiences with that site and find out what they did. I'm sorry that happened!
  3. Regular Member
    Yeah, I clicked it through a link on google. It was presented as if it was official and endorsed by USPS. The page even looked like the USPS change of address page. And I'm usually super attentive to that stuff, too, but I was distracted, doing two things at once, at the end of an already terrible day and I just fell right into their trap. I'm just frustrated that I can't do anything about it right now, so I feel useless and can't get calmed down enough to sleep.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moosegirl View Post
    Yeah, I clicked it through a link on google. It was presented as if it was official and endorsed by USPS. The page even looked like the USPS change of address page. And I'm usually super attentive to that stuff, too, but I was distracted, doing two things at once, at the end of an already terrible day and I just fell right into their trap. I'm just frustrated that I can't do anything about it right now, so I feel useless and can't get calmed down enough to sleep.
    you could do something about it right now if you wanted, in terms of finding out the ramifications. Try googling the site you went to and then "scam" right after it and i bet some things will pop up where other people share their experiences with that scam. I see things like that all the time, whether it be a scam phone call or web sites. It might help you feel better to see what other people did about it
  5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    you could do something about it right now if you wanted, in terms of finding out the ramifications. Try googling the site you went to and then "scam" right after it and i bet some things will pop up where other people share their experiences with that scam. I see things like that all the time, whether it be a scam phone call or web sites. It might help you feel better to see what other people did about it
    Yeah, I did a quick look for that. Most of them said the website will honor the refund, but it's only partial, like ten dollars or so. I'm not sure if my bank can do anything about it to get me the whole refund back.

Thank you for your advice. It really is helpful.
  6. Regular Member
    Luckily it seems like it's just a big rip off, and not a steal-your-creditcard-information-and-run thing. That makes me feel a little better.
  7. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

I have USAA and every time Ive called, even if its 110% my fault, they will cancel the charge for no fee and can make it to where that website can't charge you again.

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moosegirl View Post
    Yeah, I did a quick look for that. Most of them said the website will honor the refund, but it's only partial, like ten dollars or so. I'm not sure if my bank can do anything about it to get me the whole refund back.

Thank you for your advice. It really is helpful.
    Do you know if it was completely fake and just took your money, or was it a site that like... i don't know what to call it, but it still successfully let you change your address, just someone found out how to make money off it before getting to the USPS? or maybe that's just what a third party is. Hopefully if that's what it is then your info is still safe and it's done and over with. Ugh
  9. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by megan_laine View Post
    I have USAA and every time Ive called, even if its 110% my fault, they will cancel the charge for no fee and can make it to where that website can't charge you again.
    Thank you so much! Do you think I should bother trying to call this other company, or just go right to USAA?
  10. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    Do you know if it was completely fake and just took your money, or was it a site that like... i don't know what to call it, but it still successfully let you change your address, just someone found out how to make money off it before getting to the USPS? or maybe that's just what a third party is. Hopefully if that's what it is then your info is still safe and it's done and over with. Ugh
    It seems like it is a real company that will change your address--they just do it in a completely deceptive way. I read online that they are perfectly legal as long as they state that they are not affiliated with USPS. Which it says in super fine print at the bottom of a hyperlink. When you first visit the page it pops up partially scrolled down automatically so you can't see the company name or anything. (I hope that makes sense, haha, I feel like that was badly explained)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast