Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: School and DB

1. Regular Member

Confused School and DB

Advertisements
    Has anyone had the pleasure of going to school while dating your DB? Long story short, I'm currently pursuing a dual master's degree while DB is overseas. This is something I've been intending to do for years and I had taken a few classes right before we found out about his assignment. So when he got this three assignment I decided to dedicate myself to trying to complete the program before he got home. It has worked out so far because it's been a great distraction and I don't have the DB at home as a distraction (A good one of course. ). I took a year off when he was getting ready to leave and the first six months he was gone so that we could spend time together and because the end of the fall semester would occur right at the same time I was out for a visit and I didn't like the idea of trying to take a final while I was with him.

Unfortunately, I'm looking at the spring schedule at it looks like any of the classes I need to take (I can chose from three) all start at the beginning of February and End at the end of April. Which is great except the DB will be home sometime in April for a visit and a lot of friends and family will be in town visiting. Once again I don't want to doing school work while he is home, but I also don't want to delay my degree any more than I really have too. Now if I've calculated the weeks correctly he would be coming home right after a paper is due and leave before finals. So if these classes run like other in the past I would only be responsible for reading a few chapters and answering some class posts (this is a completely online course). I know I could double up classes in the summer semester but I currently work full time and I know from experience carrying two classes at a time is pretty hard for me.

Please any advice would be great. Should I go ahead and take the class or should I wait until the summer semester?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I'm currently studying for my nursing degree while DB is overseas (we're LD and have been our whole relationship). I say go ahead and get your schooling done, if you keep putting it off you'll regret it later when it's still hanging around waiting to be done. As far as spending time with DB when he's home visiting you, I say do that too. Just prioritise and organise your time effectively. I'm currently on a full time hospital placement, whilst still studying, working part time, and trying to fit in time to speak to DB, and it's tough, but I wouldn't change it, and it is doable! DB is coming to visit me in January before he moves to Korea, and I'll be in University 9-5 mon-fri the whole time he's here, but again, we'll make it work.

Sooo, I say go for it and prioritise your education

"You are platinum in a world gone grey."
  3. Senior Member
    I would absolutely take the classes. It's just part of life that you are going to have conflicting priorities and situations that overlap. Might as well adjust to it now.

Just make sure you are as caught up on everything as possible to that you have as little as possible to do during that time, and let him and everyone else know that unfortunately, you are going to have some school obligations.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Banned
    Banned
    I would just take the class and get it over with. There will always times where it's "inconvenient" that you're in school. You just work around it somehow. It's only for a very small amount of time that your DB will be home, and to put off your whole education for that small window seems a bit ridiculous.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I would absolutely take the classes. It's just part of life that you are going to have conflicting priorities and situations that overlap. Might as well adjust to it now.

Just make sure you are as caught up on everything as possible to that you have as little as possible to do during that time, and let him and everyone else know that unfortunately, you are going to have some school obligations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reagan View Post
    I would just take the class and get it over with. There will always times where it's "inconvenient" that you're in school. You just work around it somehow. It's only for a very small amount of time that your DB will be home, and to put off your whole education for that small window seems a bit ridiculous.
    take the class and do as much as you can before he comes to visit. Hopefully the workload is less than you expect and you get a lot more time with the DB. I think continuing your program will be great for you!
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post

Abso-freaking-lutely
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Take them and get them out of the way. You guys will have plenty of time together afterwards