Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not paying rent?

1. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!

Not paying rent?

Advertisements
    So, my oven has been broken for almost a month. I filled out a work request form the day after it happened (gonna say around Nov 10). Apparently my realtor has an outside contractor for appliances, which is dandy, and the contracting company called me the next day and came to see what was wrong a few days later. This was Nov 15. They said they had to order a part and would call me the next week when it was in. They didn't, and I gave them until Monday, Nov 25, before calling them, at which point I was told they hadn't even ordered the part because it had to be approved by my realtor, who hadn't called them back. I called the realty office and they told me they hadn't answered the contractor because the cost had to be approved by the OWNER of the house, who hadn't called THEM back. The realtor's office promised they would call the owner again that night (still the 25th) and get a decision so we could move forward. I have yet to hear from any of them.

Basically, I'm super fucking annoyed. I don't use my oven thattttt often, but to go a whole month is a fucking pain in the ass, not to mention I just think it's pathetic that they can't get their shit together. It's not like I'm asking for a luxury item. Having a working oven is pretty fucking basic in terms of things you expect when renting a house. So, here's the question: am I within my right to not pay rent for this month until they resolve this? DH suggested it and I just don't have any idea if that's okay or not But clearly my realtor doesn't give a fuck and I need to give them a reason to actually make an effort.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Improperly withholding rent can lead to eviction, so be careful!

To withhold rent your landlord must have failed to provide livable or habitable premises (i.e. it must imperil your health or safety). Although a broken oven is annoying, it doesn't make your apartment uninhabitable. Check your state laws for specifics.
  3. i request the highest of fives!
    Quote Originally Posted by green*eyes View Post
    Improperly withholding rent can lead to eviction, so be careful!

To withhold rent your landlord must have failed to provide livable or habitable premises (i.e. it must imperil your health or safety). Although a broken oven is annoying, it doesn't make your apartment uninhabitable. Check your state laws for specifics.
    Ah, okay, definitely not trying that then. It takes them forever to attend to problems, but we have few enough of those problems that I would be really, really unhappy to have to move. Thanks for the advice!
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I would look into your laws for renters there. Because there has to be something in there somewhere. Thats not right. You're paying for a house to live in. The appliances should be in working order.
  5. i request the highest of fives!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Kaepernick View Post
    I would look into your laws for renters there. Because there has to be something in there somewhere. Thats not right. You're paying for a house to live in. The appliances should be in working order.
    Yeah, I think I'll pop over to base legal in the morning. I don't want to start a war, I just want them to do something! I don't understand how "well we can't do anything until the owner answers us" is a legitimate excuse.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by lorem_ipsum View Post
    Yeah, I think I'll pop over to base legal in the morning. I don't want to start a war, I just want them to do something! I don't understand how "well we can't do anything until the owner answers us" is a legitimate excuse.
    Yeah I would totally talk to legal. I would assume it should've been taken care of shortly after being notified. That seems like a major thing to me to go out. Now if it was your garbage disposal okay it's not necessary but had you been a person who used your oven more you would've been out and still out of ways to make meals for yourself other than a microwave. Not to mention if you were suppose to cook a thanksgiving dinner. Thats BULL to me.
  7. i request the highest of fives!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Kaepernick View Post
    Yeah I would totally talk to legal. I would assume it should've been taken care of shortly after being notified. That seems like a major thing to me to go out. Now if it was your garbage disposal okay it's not necessary but had you been a person who used your oven more you would've been out and still out of ways to make meals for yourself other than a microwave. Not to mention if you were suppose to cook a thanksgiving dinner. Thats BULL to me.
    We were supposed to have Thanksgiving at our house! I was VERY unhappy about that
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by lorem_ipsum View Post
    We were supposed to have Thanksgiving at our house! I was VERY unhappy about that
    Yeah see thats not right especially since they had PLENTY of time to repair it. And I am surprised that they had to "order it" when it's probably something Lowes or Home Depot sells.
  9. Senior Member
    Check to see if they can be made to reimburse if you pay for the repairs yourself. Generally yes but like everything, there are exceptions.
  10. i request the highest of fives!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    Check to see if they can be made to reimburse if you pay for the repairs yourself. Generally yes but like everything, there are exceptions.
    That is a really good idea but I think I'd rather wait for the fix than wait while they owe me money!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast