Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Go figure... I don't know what I want to do with my life

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Go figure... I don't know what I want to do with my life

Advertisements
    So yet again, I'm stressing over the direction of my life (sounds dramatic, I know, but bear with me). About 4 months ago, I posted this thread: Feeling extremely inadequate in this job search. At the time, my goal was to find a nonprofit job in Virginia, move there, have wonderful adventures, and be happy.

Obviously I'm still in Texas. While I don't feel "stuck," I keep feeling like I need to move away and challenge myself. But I have absolutely NO idea what I want anymore. I currently work 2 part time jobs (the one I've had for 3 years, and a new one, both at A&M) and life isn't bad. I've gained new friends at my new job, I'm still an active volunteer in the community, and I have finally found a church that I can connect with. And my new job(3 months old-ish) is just phenomenal. Everyday when I leave, I feel fulfilled and happy, and I wish it was full time. Its not related to nonprofits at all, but has made me start looking at nonprofits that deal with youth development and academics. A whole new door of interests has opened up... but the jobs still aren't there.

My "dilemma" lies in the fact that my old internship supervisor recently reached out to me about a possible job opportunity. She's still writing the job description for it, but the title would be similar to Environmental Education Director at the nonprofit I've been part of for the past 3+ years. This seems great, right? For some reason, I'm not ecstatic about it. It almost feels like it doesn't "fit" anymore. And I don't know why. I almost would rather keep my part time jobs because I at least feel fulfilled in one of them. I love the nonprofit dearly, but I have never walked away feeling like *I* made a difference in someone's life. And I know... my first real job doesn't have to be my forever job, it can always open the doors to newer opportunities, etc. But it just doesn't feel right. I've talked to my mom about it plenty of times, and she always just says "The right job will come along, and it will be one that doesn't make you second guess your decision to leave your other jobs."

I just feel lost because months ago, I was dead set on moving elsewhere. I want so badly to challenge myself and move to another city. I don't know if I love this new job prospect enough to stay here though. I also don't know if I love it enough to give up my PT job that has blessed me in other ways. But if I pass up this job opportunity... I have no idea when the next one will come along.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm asking here. Any thoughts? Questions I should ask myself?
  2. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Personally, (and this is assuming the job is somewhere new like DC and not in college station), I would go for the job for a few reasons. First of all, having a full time job may give benefits that part-times wont. Second, you are in a small college town- a very transient population of college aged kids which is fine now, but as you get older it may get to be very stale, and then lonely and then its harder to unstick yourself. Third, you are young- this is the time to get out and explore the world when its so much harder when you are older and are more tied down due to family. Fourth, I worry I wasn't challenging myself because I felt comfortable, and you are too young to be settling in for comfortable. I would worry about being comfortable and then becoming stuck. Getting out in the world can be amazing, and terrifying, and lonely and scary, but looking back, you know you did something. Making new friends, finding a man, finding a church you like can all be both hard and easy in a big city.

Its absolutely your decision, but that is why I would go for the job. I wouldnt do it if you thought you wouldnt like it, but I wonder if it is looking less appealing to you just because you are happy and comfortable where you are.
  3. Free!
    Free!
    I went through that earlier this year. I got a great part-time job in my current field (hospital) and a lot of my coworkers were pressing for me to take one of the full-time positions that had opened up too. I was still working my other part-time job in the service industry and since it was seasonal I decided to wait. I felt like I should get settled in with the hospital job first since I was still really green. When I quit the other job I let the hospital know that I was interested in going full-time in August. I didn't go right away but something opened up and it worked out perfectly.
    I don't see anything wrong in waiting and I would let the job that you love know how you feel about it and that if there's something full-time opening that you'd be interested in taking.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Personally, (and this is assuming the job is somewhere new like DC and not in college station), I would go for the job for a few reasons. First of all, having a full time job may give benefits that part-times wont. Second, you are in a small college town- a very transient population of college aged kids which is fine now, but as you get older it may get to be very stale, and then lonely and then its harder to unstick yourself. Third, you are young- this is the time to get out and explore the world when its so much harder when you are older and are more tied down due to family. Fourth, I worry I wasn't challenging myself because I felt comfortable, and you are too young to be settling in for comfortable. I would worry about being comfortable and then becoming stuck. Getting out in the world can be amazing, and terrifying, and lonely and scary, but looking back, you know you did something. Making new friends, finding a man, finding a church you like can all be both hard and easy in a big city.

Its absolutely your decision, but that is why I would go for the job. I wouldnt do it if you thought you wouldnt like it, but I wonder if it is looking less appealing to you just because you are happy and comfortable where you are.
    The job is in College Station, which is one thing that worries me. I love the organization, I love the people, I love the city, etc. But I don't want to get stuck here. Its a great place to be, but not what I want long term. All the reasons you gave are the reasons I want to leave. I want so badly to get out and re-create myself. I'm confident in my independence and in the skills I've learned in school. I want to use them!

Part of me wants to continue waiting for the job that takes me out of here...and in the mean time stick with the part time job. I just worry that "waiting" isn't always the best option... cuz you know... I'll need health insurance soon lol.
  5. Almost done with college! !
    Almost done with college! !
    Blog Entries
    I think you do what you have to. Take the job even if its not what your looking for. It gets your foot in the door and after a year search for what you want to do again but know you have a full time job with benefits. I'm not in a full time job I love but I took it cause I needed to take it.
  6. verabot89
    verabot89
    Quote Originally Posted by #luci View Post
    The job is in College Station, which is one thing that worries me. I love the organization, I love the people, I love the city, etc. But I don't want to get stuck here. Its a great place to be, but not what I want long term. All the reasons you gave are the reasons I want to leave. I want so badly to get out and re-create myself. I'm confident in my independence and in the skills I've learned in school. I want to use them!

Part of me wants to continue waiting for the job that takes me out of here...and in the mean time stick with the part time job. I just worry that "waiting" isn't always the best option... cuz you know... I'll need health insurance soon lol.
    I am kind of in the same boat as you. I understand really bad the desire to leave and not having the "out" you need. My job is part time right now too, and now benefits. I just bought health insurance from the exchange though, for a good price so that bought me some time I guess. Just keep applying, and consider every offer. Give yourself lots of options, and you never know what random thing could happen.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife