Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice of ladies still going through school (Military girlfriend)

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Seeking advice of ladies still going through school (Military girlfriend)

Advertisements
    Hello, Im just looking for any tips or advice anyone can give me. My boyfriend Enlisted in the U.S. Army just a few short weeks ago and will be going to boot camp in july of 2014.. He says its 12 weeks he will be gone but is it longer? What should i do to prepare for him leaving? I know that he will be home for thanksgiving and christmas but will be deployed shortly afterwards.. is that normal? Just PLEASE im so lost when it comes to everything anything would help.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    I haven't been through bootcamp with my DB but I wouldn't worry too much about him deploying. There's no way he'd know. He has to go through boot and AIT and then he will find out his duty station. There is NO WAY he would know NOW that he will be deployed.
  3. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Quote Originally Posted by allysonmohr View Post
    Hello, Im just looking for any tips or advice anyone can give me. My boyfriend Enlisted in the U.S. Army just a few short weeks ago and will be going to boot camp in july of 2014.. He says its 12 weeks he will be gone but is it longer? What should i do to prepare for him leaving? I know that he will be home for thanksgiving and christmas but will be deployed shortly afterwards.. is that normal? Just PLEASE im so lost when it comes to everything anything would help.
    I don't know too much about the Army, but here is my understanding:
    He will go to boot camp. Then Advanced training, and that length is determined by his specialty.. Then maybe another training after that. Then get stationed somewhere... could be anywhere in the US or overseas.

The USMC deploys all the time, even in peacetime... I don't know about the Army. He won't know about any sort of deployment until after he has graduated bootcamp, finished AIT and gets assigned to a unit somewhere.

Going home for the holidays is typical, but not something you can count on either.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Reagan View Post
    I haven't been through bootcamp with my DB but I wouldn't worry too much about him deploying. There's no way he'd know. He has to go through boot and AIT and then he will find out his duty station. There is NO WAY he would know NOW that he will be deployed.
    He plays the a instrument, and apparently has a job in corps of drums (i think thats right) he told me he doesnt know where hes getting or a specific date just around that time.. does that clear my statement up some?
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    As you can see im a major NEWBIE
  6. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

I'm a little confused as to what you want to know. Once he leaves for boot camp, he no longer lives at home. He won't be moving back home. He will be assigned to a military base once he finishes his training. It could be anywhere. DH is originally from Connecticut but lives in NC.

I wish I could help more

I also wasn't with DH when he was starting out, so I don't know much about training either
    Banned
    Relax, he's not leaving for another 6 months. Enjoy the time you have with him. Stress about boot camp when it gets closer.

To the bolded, you know none of this, at all. Nothing is set in stone until he passes basic training first.
  8. Senior Member
    Ummm, I know the army deploys a lot but there is no way he knows before he goes to boot camp and AIT and gets to his first duty station that he will deploy right after the holidays.

Other than that, continue life as normal. He is simply in the military not taking over the world. That is not meant snarky, just that your life doesn't change. Go to school, work, live life as you would with him with you.
  9. Senior Member
    He plays the a instrument, and apparently has a job in corps of drums (i think thats right) he told me he doesnt know where hes getting or a specific date just around that time.. does that clear my statement up some?
    Actually not really. It still doesn't change that he doesn't know if he will deploy or not until he has finished his training. His recruiter might have told him he will, or he probably will, but until he is at his duty assignment he doesn't know when he will deploy for the first time. No matter what his job is.
  10. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Do not count on him being home for the holidays. I'm not saying he wont be but it's not certain. You can not & will not ever know that for sure. He doesn't get leave for holidays just because it's a holiday. He has to put in the time for leave, have it approved & then he'll see if he gets to come home.

He will also not necessarily deploy right after. Since he's not even at boot camp yet, he doesn't have his orders to deploy so you will have to wait and see.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast