Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: So I just moved in...

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Help So I just moved in...

Advertisements
    Hey, I just moved in with my Marine boyfriend a little over a week ago from my parents house. I just started my new job (I work in retail) yesterday. I'm really happy to be starting a life with him. The only thing is that I feel very lonely. I've always had someone to talk to and now I don't, because I moved about three hours away from everything I know. It's just me, him, and his dog. He's away most of the day and when he comes home, he's so tired he just wants to sleep, watch TV/play video games, and relax. He's been very helpful and includes me when he hangs out with his friends and their wives, but I haven't made friends in my own right just yet. I love being with him, I just miss being around people who know me. Any advice to help combat loneliness?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by KristiGem View Post
    Hey, I just moved in with my Marine boyfriend a little over a week ago from my parents house. I just started my new job (I work in retail) yesterday. I'm really happy to be starting a life with him. The only thing is that I feel very lonely. I've always had someone to talk to and now I don't, because I moved about three hours away from everything I know. It's just me, him, and his dog. He's away most of the day and when he comes home, he's so tired he just wants to sleep, watch TV/play video games, and relax. He's been very helpful and includes me when he hangs out with his friends and their wives, but I haven't made friends in my own right just yet. I love being with him, I just miss being around people who know me. Any advice to help combat loneliness?
    The best way to combat the lonliness is to get out there and start building yourself a new life and new social circle in your new location - I know that sounds much easier said than done, but it truly is the only "fix". Your new job is a great place to start, as it puts you in contact with other people - both co-workers and customers. Are there things that interest you - faith (church is a great way to meet new people and find a new "home"), hobbies (taking a class), educational goals (again, taking a class), things that you are passionate about (volunteer opportunities) -- there are tons of ways to get yourself out there, it is just a matter of figuring out which one(s) fit you and then actually taking the steps to make it happen.
  3. Senior Member
    Find a hobby that you enjoy doing. You will probably meet people through that. I know for me I met most of my friends through horse riding. You could also go to get togethers for spouses and girlfriends. Or maybe meet some of your DBs friends significant others. If you ever need to talk you can message me.
    Also I just wanted to say . My DF is a Marine.

4. Banned
    Banned
    I agree with everyone. Put yourself out there. When your DB brings you around his friends and their wives/girlfriends ask them to hang out and have coffee. Be honest that you're kinda lonely and don't know many people yet and reach out to them.