Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apartment issue...

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Apartment issue...

Advertisements
    So because I'm on my phone and holding a little one I'm just going to paste my question from Facebook

"I've had the dining room heat running since 6 am and it's still only 60 degrees in the apartment. It's a good thing we told them our living room heater was broke in July so they would get it fixed before little guy got here. They "can't find the part" supposedly. So now we have to figure out how to approach it because our constant asking about it isn't working... And in the mean time our electric bill is crazy for no reason."

We're wondering if we coul make them pay some of our electric, or pay for a space heater, possibly lower rent until fixed since its a listed amenity that isn't working? DH has gone so far as to say breach of contract but I just don't know. How would you approach the situation? We have asked at least once a month to follow up and still "no part."
  2. Senior Member
    Looking at your profile...Washington? WashingtonLawHelp.org | A guide to free and low-cost legal aid, assistance and services in Washington

Look up the renters laws in your state. There are different laws about what they have to when. I know in OK if your AC went out in the heat they were required to come fix it asap.

Also look at your lease, my old place would fix everything in 2 business days or they would take $50 a day off your rent until it got fixed.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    The malfunctioning heat is likely part of the high electric bill - the heat is running above/beyond what it "should" to try to warm your living areas, so the electric is running and running and running. Also, please do not resort to space heaters - they are horribly inefficient and dangerous and offering that as a possible stop-gap will only serve to lessen any pressure on them to repair the intended heat source.
    You need to contact base legal and your local housing authority about landlord/tenant regulations with regards to heat in your locality - different areas have different processes for remedy to the situation. Whatever you do, do not make any changes to the rent payments outside of an approved legal process (some areas will allow you to pay rent into a holding account until the repairs are made - you aren't NOT paying rent, but the landlord is NOT getting it until the situation is rectified) as that gives the landlord an upperhand as they then can show that YOU have breached contract in failure to pay the rent.
  4. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I think negotiation some sort of electric bill coverage or rent reduction will be really hard tbh. I would go to them in person with something in writing, and say they have 3 days to figure it out. If they don't fix it you can contact the inspections authority. Each state has rules about how warm rentals need to be. MN was 62 degrees so my landlord set the locked thermostat at...62 degrees. But I couldn't do anything about how cold that was because it was the law. However, if you you DO contact the inspection people you may have to deal with eviction. I've had friends evicted for reporting huge issues like the ceiling leaks when the upstairs people shower!

As for your ridic electricity bill, you should call the electricity people and ask if that's normal. Sadly, if there's shitty insulation you may just have to pay a lot for heat :/
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  5. Senior Member
    Here are the RCW's (WA laws) you need.

Chapter 59.18 RCW: RESIDENTIAL LANDLORD-TENANT ACT
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Glamorous View Post
    Here are the RCW's (WA laws) you need.

Chapter 59.18 RCW: RESIDENTIAL LANDLORD-TENANT ACT
    Ooh, that is different then the one I just read today! I'll check that out, because the one I read today seems they have a huge grey area in favor of landlords... Things must be fixed in a timely manner, but there are no regulations on what that timely manner are. The only timeline is that they have to acknowledge the issue and begin looking for a solution. They've been saying since July that they can't find the part but they're looking.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Also, if management submits the request through their computer to the landlords, does that count as our written request? I'm pretty sure the main manager IS the landlord though.
  8. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    I would sent them a written notification (certified mail) to demand that your heat be repaired in accordance with the RCW codes. Heating is a necessity.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  9. Senior Member
    Have you checked/changed your filters?

Usually something like heat is a 24 hour time frame for repairs, though it does vary by state.
  10. Regular Member
    We had assy property managers when we ere in NC. Our heat didn't work the whole winter and it got down into the 30s and 40s at times. They would send someone in to fix it and it would work while he was there, but just as soon as he left, it would quit. We just moved.
    "Sometimes, its not until you watch someone you love dying, that you truly realize what a gift each day is that you don't have to say good bye."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast