Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not sure what to do - time sensitive

1. verabot89
    verabot89

Not sure what to do - time sensitive

Advertisements
    A woman contacted me on care.com, explaining that she suffers from depression and has a mobility disorder making it hard for her to get around. She is looking for companionship while her husband is at work. She sounded nice and normal in all our communications, and I googled her family as best I could. They live in a nice neighborhood in my town that I'm familiar with. I think I only really said I would meet her cause I'm desperate for money, and cause I felt sad for her, but I don't really know if I'm comfortable with this. I'm supposed to meet her in like 2 hours at her house but I just feel weird about it. I get anxiety really easily about new things like this and I try to back out of everything so I can't tell if it just my normal thing or an actual bad feeling. My friend gave me pepper spray in case it ends up being something crazy.

I don't know...
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Do you have anyone that could possibly go with you? I know that doesn't seem very professional but it's better to be safe. I occasionally take cleaning jobs from care.com and one time I felt very uncomfortable so DH went with me, when I explained why I would be bringing him they were very understanding and I still got the job. Whenever I've taken other jobs from there I have a person I text as I go in and as soon as I get out, as well as give them the address. If you go alone just be very aware and make sure someone knows where you are. I will say my creeped out feeling is almost always right so if you really feel like something is off I would listen to your intuition.
  3. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Could your friend go with you?
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  4. Senior Member
    I know they do background checks on the care providers, but do they do some sort of similar profiling for those that advertise for needing care? And companionship... ? Explain to me what that means exactly. It isn't that she would need help cooking and cleaning and getting to the bathroom and whatnot? She just needs a friend... ?
  5. verabot89
    verabot89
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    Could your friend go with you?
    I only have a couple friend's in the area and they are all working

Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    I know they do background checks on the care providers, but do they do some sort of similar profiling for those that advertise for needing care? And companionship... ? Explain to me what that means exactly. It isn't that she would need help cooking and cleaning and getting to the bathroom and whatnot? She just needs a friend... ?
    Yea, basically she just wants someone to hang out with her. She said no personal hygeine care would be involved. She just doesn't like being alone.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

6. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Take someone with you for the initial visit that way you aren't alone?
  7. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    At a minimum, please give someone the address. Let them know when you park, and then when you get in and feel comfortable. Tell them if you don't check in within ten minutes, something is wrong. Then check in with them periodically as well.

Ask her first why she chose you, too. I am a big believer in going with your gut.
  8. Senior Member
    I'd contact her before you go and let her know that because this is a first visit, you'll be checking in with someone periodically for your safety, since you don'y yet know her. Arrange with a friend that you will be contacting them every 15 minutes. (Perhaps set up a series of code words to use so they know the texts are from you and genuine, and a word which means you aren't okay.)

If she's on the up and up, then this shouldn't be a problem. If she balks, walk away.

As a side note, in order to make it less awkward, you might bring things like a deck of cards, a simple board game, some Ice Breaker games and exercises you find online, etc. That way, if conversation lags, you aren't just sitting there staring at each other.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. verabot89
    verabot89
    I went and lived to tell the tale! Still don't know how I feel about the job but she was not an axe murderer
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

10. Senior Member
    I'm glad you didn't die.

If the money is good, it seems like something you could make work. Does she just want to sit and talk? Is she older (like senior citizen+)?
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast