Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: First Deployment

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

First Deployment

Advertisements
    My SO will be graduating from West Point soon and heading to BOLC for four months. This will be the first small step in the many to come with distance and deployment. We've always been long distance, and it's never really been an issue and has never bothered me. A five hour drive can be soothing sometimes...right? After BOLC will be a last month of leave before his deployment. It's so far away, but maybe you all understand how it really feels so close. It's been hanging over my head, but he's so excited (he's even counting down) and I don't want to bring him down. I just don't know how to start coping, because I don't want to completely fall to pieces when he's gone. I've got nobody to talk to who would understand, so here I am. I'm a full time grad student, so its not like I'll be twiddling my thumbs with nothing to do. But its still, as I'm sure you understand, a very very distracting thing to think about. Not knowing if he's safe is the biggest thing, and I know "no news is good news" but my mind is all over the place and I don't want to stress myself.

Why are these men so easy to love!?

Please help me out with any advice you have, this is the first time I've posted on anything like this. I really appreciate it.

Thank you thank you!
  2. Senior Member
    It sounds like your in the right place. This is all normal to feel. Remember, its ok to cry sometimes. Its ok to break down. Just dont let sadness consume your life. Treat yourself. Find things to make you smile. Write your SO letters and send them packages. You can always PM me if youd like
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhereTheHeartIs View Post
    My SO will be graduating from West Point soon and heading to BOLC for four months. This will be the first small step in the many to come with distance and deployment. We've always been long distance, and it's never really been an issue and has never bothered me. A five hour drive can be soothing sometimes...right? After BOLC will be a last month of leave before his deployment.
    I'm confused. Are you sure he is immediately going on a deployment? If he hasn't finished he schooling yet, then he hasn't gotten to his first permanent duty station and he can't deploy until he is stationed somewhere.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Yes they all receieve their orders early on at school. He's known for a while where he's being sent.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    no advice but hugs!
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Well since its only Oct. Graduation isn't till May. You have plenty of time to see him and I will say June Week is something to look forward too that you get to remember for the rest of your lives. Have fun while still in college for both of you. Senior year was the best for my husband and granted I didn't graduate the same time he did it was still so much fun. I would really start worrying after christmas when he is in his last semester. I think even though my husband and I saw each other every weekend while he was at the academy I knew he would be leaving to go to flight school which I was not used to not seeing him but I will say enjoy what is in front of you now instead of what is almost a year from now. Because I can say when my husband finally got the the fleet his deployment kept getting pushed here and there and everywhere before he actually deployed. So look forward to Army/Navy if you attend the game, or June week. Worry about those now and than worry about what the real world has to offer when time comes.
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    He's graduating early (well technically a semester late) for various reasons. Early being right before this coming Christmas
  8. Senior Member
    Yes they all receieve their orders early on at school. He's known for a while where he's being sent.
    He's graduating early (well technically a semester late) for various reasons. Early being right before this coming Christmas
    Ah, I had the same thought as Fisheswife, graduating in May, four months of BOLC, one month of leave, which would mean about a year from now. Since he is graduating in late December, that means he is deploying in June? I would still follow Fisheswife's advice and enjoy your time for the next six months and try not to let it hang over your head. You will have enough of that when his deployment actually rolls around.