Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is JRTC going to be like??

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

What is JRTC going to be like??

Advertisements

My guy and I have been dating almost four months now. Today he left for JRTC in Fort Polk for a month.

I have never been a relationship with a military guy and our relationship has taken some work. (We are both trying to get used being back in relationships after being crushed by our exes. His fiance cheated on him while at basic training and I just recently started getting over the fact that my last boyfriend of three years saw no future with me).

This is really hard for me and I don't really know what to expect. I have heard from different people that cell phone service down there is awful so I probably won't hear from him very much. I am also just plain worried about what it will be like for him. I hope he will be okay and not cold/wet/tired all the time. Can someone give me a rundown on what they will be going through?

Also: this has just been a hard day for me. This week leading up to him leaving really sucked. I am a full time graduate student with two jobs so I am very busy and he has been busy getting ready to leave so we didn't get to spend any time together. I have only been able to see him for a total of maybe 10 minutes Friday night and 10 minutes Saturday night. He was going to try to see me today before he had to start getting ready to leave but it didn't work out. How do you handle not getting a proper goodbye?

He was originally supposed to leave Tuesday and we were going to spend all day together getting in some quality time before he left but he found out Friday that they changed it to today. How do you handle changes like that? Does this happen often in the military? This whole experience really bums me out because I had gotten him a little present to help him out while he was down there (mosquito repellent wrist bands, hot hand warmers and scotch guard to help keep his clothes dry) but I didn't even get to give it to him because he couldn't see me today before leaving. Would any of this stuff be useful in the future for my soldier?

I don't know if this is normal, but I just feel so anxious about him leaving. I barely heard from him today while he was getting ready to leave and it makes me feel unimportant. Should I be more understanding?

I guess I just need someone who has gone through this before to give me an idea of what I can expect while he is gone and if I am being a total brat about all of this? I am a very understanding girl most of the time and he has always said it is rare to find a girl how chill, understanding and unneedy I am, but I sure to don't feel any of those things right now.
    Last edited by Zilla; 10-27-2013 at 10:05 PM.
  2. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Well, you covered a lot of things with your post, but I'll try to touch on the ones I'm familiar with. First, if your guy does not have AT&T you won't hear from him unless he "goes into town" or borrows someone else's phone. I don't know why, but it seems they are they only ones with service down there. Second, every training mission is different and every experience of the same training is different for each MOS. I know my DH likens it to being in the field regardless of location, just with more focused training instead of simply keeping up skills.

Also, you might get in touch with his FRG, any time my husband was at Polk for an extended period, they provided us an address to send packages to so you could get those items to him. You even get the added bonus of being the awesome chick that sent a care package, plus he didn't have to deal with finding room to pack the items.

I wish I could be helpful on the goodbye/changing schedule aspect but the truth is I've never missed a goodbye because I've been lucky. And the Army is always making changes, so unfortunately if you're with him long, you'll learn that you can't usually count on the exact dates and times actually being accurate. That even includes his coming home from there a lot of times.

I wouldn't worry about being thought of as unimportant because if you were, you probably wouldn't have spoken with him at all. Depending on many things within your guy's company, he could very likely have been spending his day checking and double checking his packing list in case of inspection. He was most likely so caught up with his checklists of things to take care of that he didn't feel he had much free time to chat.

You'll make it through, it won't be as bad as you're fearing. It always changes things when you can't just up and call the person you wish to, but those changes always make you appreciate them more when they are home.
  3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by ccann3 View Post
    Well, you covered a lot of things with your post, but I'll try to touch on the ones I'm familiar with. First, if your guy does not have AT&T you won't hear from him unless he "goes into town" or borrows someone else's phone. I don't know why, but it seems they are they only ones with service down there. Second, every training mission is different and every experience of the same training is different for each MOS. I know my DH likens it to being in the field regardless of location, just with more focused training instead of simply keeping up skills.

Also, you might get in touch with his FRG, any time my husband was at Polk for an extended period, they provided us an address to send packages to so you could get those items to him. You even get the added bonus of being the awesome chick that sent a care package, plus he didn't have to deal with finding room to pack the items.

I wish I could be helpful on the goodbye/changing schedule aspect but the truth is I've never missed a goodbye because I've been lucky. And the Army is always making changes, so unfortunately if you're with him long, you'll learn that you can't usually count on the exact dates and times actually being accurate. That even includes his coming home from there a lot of times.

I wouldn't worry about being thought of as unimportant because if you were, you probably wouldn't have spoken with him at all. Depending on many things within your guy's company, he could very likely have been spending his day checking and double checking his packing list in case of inspection. He was most likely so caught up with his checklists of things to take care of that he didn't feel he had much free time to chat.

You'll make it through, it won't be as bad as you're fearing. It always changes things when you can't just up and call the person you wish to, but those changes always make you appreciate them more when they are home.
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate getting an idea of what will be going on for him and what I can expect in terms of hearing from him and what not.

About the FRG: how would I contact his FRG? I also worry that since he didn't bring up sending mail, that it would be weird to just send him something??

Thank you again! I feel better about the situation.
  4. Senior Member
    I don't think you're being a brat or overreacting at all, but you should try to be a little more understanding that he wasn't able to talk to you much before he left. They have a lot of things to get together before things like this, and he was probably stressed out since it sounds like this was short notice.

I'm at Fort Polk now and the weather here is really nice actually. It's been mostly in the sixties, it's chilly at night but depending on what climate you're used to it might be comfortable. I'm not sure what the sleeping arrangements are in JRTC but even if he's sleeping outside I assume he'll have a sleeping bag or something. And during the day it's been gorgeous lately, nice sweater weather.

Cell reception is pretty awful around here, I just switched to AT&T yesterday and it's much better than Verizon, but I've heard there still aren't any towers that reach where they are in the field so it might still be difficult for him to talk to you. My husband was here for JRTC last year (with Verizon) and there was like one spot he could sneak off to to get a bar and send me a text. He tried to talk to me as much as he could but you have to remember that they're there to work, so he might not always have time.

I'm sorry he left before you were able to give him his presents, but that was really thoughtful of you and I'm sure he'll still appreciate them when he gets back. Unfortunately things like this do seem to happen pretty often though, my husband had six weeks of training in South Korea last year and he ended up having to leave like two weeks early on a day's notice. It sucks but the army makes no sense.

Try to remember it's only a month, though. And it's only training so it's not like you really need to be worried, he's safe. The first few days of a separation are always the hardest for me, once you get over that hump it tends to go by really quickly and easily. He'll be back before you know it.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate getting an idea of what will be going on for him and what I can expect in terms of hearing from him and what not.

About the FRG: how would I contact his FRG? I also worry that since he didn't bring up sending mail, that it would be weird to just send him something??

I don't mean to be a downer, but you might not be able to have anything mailed here. When my husband was here for JRTC they didn't have a mailing address because it was such a short time period and we were told specifically not to try to mail anything here because they wouldn't get it.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post

Most of them have facebook pages, if you know his brigade, battalion, and/or company it's simple to find most of the time because the Army requires them to be public pages. You may have to dig a little for that though. Also, you can literally call the number you can find with a google search and they'll help you get in touch with the FRSA and they will definitely be able to point you in the right direction.
  7. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I don't mean to be a downer, but you might not be able to have anything mailed here. When my husband was here for JRTC they didn't have a mailing address because it was such a short time period and we were told specifically not to try to mail anything here because they wouldn't get it.
    JRTC is only a month, right? What would you mail within a month?

You will be able to talk to him juuuust fine. We have T-Mobie and we were able to text and call each other.

life's a party, rock your body
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsjennyy View Post
    JRTC is only a month, right? What would you mail within a month?

You will be able to talk to him juuuust fine. We have T-Mobie and we were able to text and call each other.
    I'm genuinely surprised tmobile worked for you. I've heard AT&T is the only carrier that really works, sometimes sprint.
  9. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I don't think you're being a brat or overreacting at all, but you should try to be a little more understanding that he wasn't able to talk to you much before he left. They have a lot of things to get together before things like this, and he was probably stressed out since it sounds like this was short notice.

I'm at Fort Polk now and the weather here is really nice actually. It's been mostly in the sixties, it's chilly at night but depending on what climate you're used to it might be comfortable. I'm not sure what the sleeping arrangements are in JRTC but even if he's sleeping outside I assume he'll have a sleeping bag or something. And during the day it's been gorgeous lately, nice sweater weather.

Cell reception is pretty awful around here, I just switched to AT&T yesterday and it's much better than Verizon, but I've heard there still aren't any towers that reach where they are in the field so it might still be difficult for him to talk to you. My husband was here for JRTC last year (with Verizon) and there was like one spot he could sneak off to to get a bar and send me a text. He tried to talk to me as much as he could but you have to remember that they're there to work, so he might not always have time.

I'm sorry he left before you were able to give him his presents, but that was really thoughtful of you and I'm sure he'll still appreciate them when he gets back. Unfortunately things like this do seem to happen pretty often though, my husband had six weeks of training in South Korea last year and he ended up having to leave like two weeks early on a day's notice. It sucks but the army makes no sense.

Try to remember it's only a month, though. And it's only training so it's not like you really need to be worried, he's safe. The first few days of a separation are always the hardest for me, once you get over that hump it tends to go by really quickly and easily. He'll be back before you know it.
    Yeah, he has Verizon Wireless, so I guess I won't hear from him. But I think I can get over that know that I know that is how it will be for me.

I do appreciate the support and input. It is really helpful for me because I was really worried about him not taking the time to try to see me or talk to me. I know I should be more understanding of that stuff (this is all an adjustment for me). I left him a goodbye voicemail and was very positive and didn't portray any of my frustration because I know its probably the last thing he needs to hear right now.
  10. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    I have a new question for anyone who reads this thread:

I see that my SO has been on FB chat tonight (meaning the little green dot is on) but he hasn't posted anything or done anything on FB. I am guessing he is either getting service or using someone else's phone to log on (he did this while he was in the field).

I was originally planning on not trying to talk to him while he was gone because I had heard he wouldn't have service but if he is on FB chat, should I try?

What should I do?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast