Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Could Really Use Some Help Here!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

I Could Really Use Some Help Here!

Advertisements
    So, I truly do not have any support from my family and friends. Everyone thinks that I'm "throwing
    my life away," which just makes me aggravating. So, now that it's time to start planning our wedding,
    I have no one to help me. I really hate that I can't plan the best day of my life with my mom and
    older sister, but this is the life I've chosen, and they need to respect that. So, to all of you out there
    who have had/planned a military wedding before, where do I start?
  2. scotlandgrl53
    scotlandgrl53
    Blog Entries
    what do you mean by "military" weddings. Do you mean ones that include a lot of military traditions, or more-so one that was worked out while dealing with the unique struggles of someone in the military. If you are talking the latter I can help!
    I need a
    a
    I don't have forever or

So don't let me

I AshleyO
  3. Forever & a Day!
    Forever & a Day!
    Blog Entries
    I can't help you on the wedding front but if you ever need anyone to talk to for support, feel free to PM me.

Serenity is the best Wifey a woman could ever ask for
  4. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    What exactly are you asking? There is nothing different between a "military" and "regular" wedding unless you're talking uniforms and what you need to do afterwards in regards to getting you into the system.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  5. Senior Member
    As others have said, there is no such thing as a military wedding. Some people integrate elements of the military culture into their weddings. Typically, that is wearing uniforms and maybe doing a sword arch (not sure if that is only available to certain ranks). If you want, you can see if the local base has wedding venues. That can be a cheaper way to go, often, than off base, but there are restrictions and you need to make sure you look into what they require to get your guest on base, and make sure dealing with that is worth it to you.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

For me the best place to start was just go to one of the wedding planning websites (like theknot.com or something, there are tons) and they have checklists ... I love lists lol
  7. Senior Member
    I THINK she is asking how to plan a wedding while dealing with the struggles of our unique lifestyle. What DH and I did/are doing is we got married on leave. Just the two of us, our parents and siblings. It was super small, fast, quick and easy. Now we are planning our "big ceremony" for a few years from now. (We were going to do it next year but we didn't exactly expect to get stationed in Germany this year! haha) Having the small ceremony has allowed us to be together for the planning process. And it is helping us to get an idea of the upcoming struggles we face, like deployments ect. Sometimes when you get married, orders can change, so we wanted to get married before so there was a much lower chance of things changing (at least just because his marital status changed.) It is so unfortunate that your family isnt being supportive of your decision. But you are joining a much much larger family now, and there is more support than you could imagine in it. You wont find any better understanding women than military wives. Good luck! And feel free to PM me
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi_Love View Post
    So, I truly do not have any support from my family and friends. Everyone thinks that I'm "throwing
    my life away," which just makes me aggravating. So, now that it's time to start planning our wedding,
    I have no one to help me. I really hate that I can't plan the best day of my life with my mom and
    older sister, but this is the life I've chosen, and they need to respect that. So, to all of you out there
    who have had/planned a military wedding before, where do I start?
    Have you asked them (or have they voiced already) what the specific concerns are that make them feel that way about the decision you are making?
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Have you asked them (or have they voiced already) what the specific concerns are that make them feel that way about the decision you are making?
    I think that is a wonderful place to start!!!!
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    My friends have told me that I'm "throwing my life away to be with a guy who I will never be able to see, or
    rely on." That one hurt, and came from my roommate. But what my family has said, it just broke me in half.
    My family has been saying things like "You don't really love him," and "Why would you want to date someone in
    the military, much less MARRY someone like that," and worst off "Stop acting like an immature child and grow up!
    If you want something from us, then just tell us, don't threaten to get married!"
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast